Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Loving New York!

I'm loving New York. My apartment here is coming together and I am enjoying the fact that I can walk most places. 



I enjoyed conference at the chapel next door to my home this weekend. I loved all of the talks but really liked the talks that used analogies: the tunnel, the mud, the car seat, etc. I also appreciated Elder Holland, Elder Nelson and Elder Bednar. 

Yesterday I spent the entire day training with Elder and Sister Eckert who are the current nurses here. 

Today I got up early and walked with another senior sister. I took some pictures of the train that runs right beside the church. When you are in church, the benches vibrate when the train rolls by. I also took pictures of the Long Island Expressway that is practically in my front yard. From the bridge crossing the train tracks you can see Manhattan. LaGuardia is about 5 miles away. 


Long Island Expressway


I worked in the office for a time this morning and met several missionaries. I love them!



Then when the mall opened I walked to Time Warner to order my internet. They are coming to install it in the morning. 

Interesting story that happened while ordering my internet service:

The sales woman looked at my name tag and said:  "Oh sister. Do you want your name to be Marie on the account."
I said yes.  After a few more question she said, "I won't charge you a deposit. We usually charge at least $100 but I'm writing that off."

I thanked her for her kindness and then she told me she was waiving the installation fee as well. I really professed my deepest appreciation. We concluded our business and as I walked away she asked me if I was able to see the pope when he was here. I was too flustered to explain that I am not that kind of "sister."

I just told her no. I had been traveling when he was here. That was the truth. 

My name tag brings lots of looks. I think many people think I'm a Catholic sister. 

On the other hand, in Target today, a  man behind me in line asked if I was a missionary. I said yes and he said I'm a member too. He whipped out his wallet and showed me his temple recommend to prove it. I love it here!!!

This afternoon I drove to Costco. It is underground under a mall. They charge you $3.00 to park there to shop at Costco. I didn't crash either. Google maps is my new bestest friend!!
I worked and studied some more in the office before I had dinner at one of the other senior couple's apartment. We had Peruvian chicken takeout. Really good. 

Got to get to bed so I can get up early to walk again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog and pictures. I had so much fun "putting you in the home." I agree, conference was great, especially being able to spend it with you.

    ReplyDelete