Monday, October 12, 2015

I'm Official!

Ok. I'm official!  I've had the mission nurse phone since last Thursday. 
Perhaps I should explain in a little more in detail what I'm doing. If a missionary is sick or in pain or has an accident etc. they can call me. I triage the problem and then offer advice for treatment. If it is more serious, I work with an area seventy who is a physician (mine is in Boston) over several missions who prescribes or advises further treatment. If the missionary needs to see a dr, then I find a provider who accepts the insurance and assist the missionary to get care. 
I keep records on each call or personal visit.  Mission Medical in SLC has access to these records and can chart on them too. They also advise and help me and authorize dr visits or any other care that is needed. 
I have weekly and quarterly reports. Yikes!!  Hate that part. 
The missionaries are so nice and welcoming. Wonderful young people!!
On Friday I was able to make dinner for the two sisters who live upstairs. Saturday evening I cooked for the two Spanish speaking sisters in my district. (Eight languages are spoken in this mission.) So I'm enjoying that aspect of my days. Problem is that I only know how to cook for larger groups.
I made a pan of brownies and shared them with the four sisters and four elders. That was nice because the brownies were gone and I didn't have to use will power not to eat the whole pan myself. 
Today was my first Sacrament meeting here in Rego Park 1st Ward. It was fast and testimony meeting. Many of the members are recent converts. It was a beautiful meeting. Their testimonies are simple but heartfelt. I was made to feel welcome. A couple of women told me that I didn't seem like a new comer. Told them that no one is a new comer. We're just all brothers and sisters in the Gospel. 
I went to Costco this week, I wanted to buy some Rhodes frozen bread rolls for my dinners. They don't have frozen rolls/bread of any kind. Guess I'll have to make my own. 
At Costco I did see something you won't find in Utah: hanging halves of lamb and ducks in the freezer. 



My frequent sound byte. 
















On some buildings there are big water tanks. I was told that there are times when the water pressure might be low. If the building catches fire, the tank of water can be used to put out the fire. Interesting. 
 

In the picture of the Manhattan skyline there is an extremely tall building just to the right of center. 
It is 1,396 feet tall. 432 Park is the tallest residential building in the Western Hemisphere. 
Cicilee (granddaughter) and I stood on Top of the ROC when we were here early last month and had to look up to see it. The building has two penthouses, one on the 96th floor that sold for $95 million and another on the 95th, currently priced at $85 million. (I looked that up on Google.)






Here is a picture I saw on FB for us older folks that I thought was cute. Even wrinkled, someone loves us. 
 

My washer and dryer are in the basement. The stairs are dark and I was worried I would miss one and fall so I scrubbed the stairs and after they were dry, I applied hunter orange duct tape. I can't wait to hear what the sister missionaries living upstairs think when they go down to do their laundry next time.








 


Every morning when I wake up and the last thing I see before I turn off my light at night are the pillow cases hanging on my wall that my family made for me. What a joy to be an eternal family and to know that even though I'm 2,000 miles away, we are united in every way.

I know that because our Savior lives and has made it possible for us to return to His presence and that of our Heavenly Father we can enjoy the blessings of this world and the world to come. 
I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment