Monday, April 29, 2024

This has been a most interesting and busy week




Have to begin with thanks for the beautiful walks I had on Monday and Tuesday mornings. Those were the only days I was able to walk so I appreciate them more.



Last week a missionary began to have a fever.  As the week progressed, other symptoms began to appear. 

On Monday, this week, it became apparent that something “sinister” was going on.

I drove about an hour and a half south to accompany them to the ER.  They were admitted and given IV fluid and treated for an infection through Wednesday.

The “Pink Moon” over the mountain as I drove south early Wednesday morning.  Google “pink moon” and read about it.


I drove back and forth from Eugene daily to be with the missionary and to hear the doctor’s orders and prognosis.  There would be a fairly lengthy recuperation period so on Thursday they flew home for care and recovery. 

On Wednesday another missionary began with some severe pain that required an ER visit on Friday. I drove two and a half hours south to be with them.  (This time I packed a bag to stay over.)  They were admitted and started immediately on IV therapy and antibiotics.


Beauty by the hospital sidewalk

 
A very kind and understanding doctor came in and advised that surgery would be necessary but antibiotics needed to be given through the night before surgery.



He came in on Saturday morning to perform the surgery.

As you can see, on Saturday mornings, the pre-op rooms and waiting room are empty.



Saturday mid morning in the foyer and halls of the hospital first floor entrance


The doctor came back to the hospital in the afternoon to check on the patient. He was very thorough in his explanations and care. A tender mercy.

Because of privacy, I can’t say more, but this doctor and the circumstances were an answer to prayers to help with an ongoing, long- time health issue.

Friday evening, another missionary stayed with the patient and I  stayed at a hotel on the banks of the Rogue River. It was nice.

Riverside Inn

The Rogue River view from the balcony of my room


Saturday night, I stayed in the hospital to help with the needs of the patient. I got my weekly report done and sent in and truly had a good night’s rest.


Sunday the patient was to be discharged but began vomiting and not feeling well. It remains to be seen when they will be discharged.

It has been a walk down memory lane this week. I remembered my days of being a CNA on weekend nights at LDS Hospital  in Salt Lake City while I went to school during the week.

After graduation and passing the boards, I worked for about 4 1/2 years as an RN at that same hospital.

After my second child was born, I stayed at home until all of my children were in school.  Then I took a refresher course and went to work again part time at Greenwood Clinic.

I worked there for a few years, I can’t remember how many, before I started working at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital.  I worked there for over 10 years before I retired. 

Wow!  I’m sure you are thinking too much history here!  I tell you this because I have been reliving these years as I have spent this week daily being in the hospital. I’ve loved every minute.

Serving the Lord and working with these wonderful missionaries is such a blessing and brings me joy!

I read a conference talk given in October 1984 by Elder Russell C Taylor titled:  The Joy of Service.

My thoughts echo those of Elder Taylor. He says:

“ I can say unashamedly, I rejoice in the service of God. My experience teaches that the highest goodness attainable is a life of unselfish service to mankind.

It has been wisely said, “Service is the rent we pay for our own room on earth.” We should know that the rent is due on a daily basis and know that the receipt is never stamped “paid in full,” because the rent, service in God’s kingdom, is again due today and due tomorrow.

Some mistakenly think that a commitment to service comes after a great spiritual experience. This is like the man who is cold, standing before the stove, and saying, “Give me heat, and then I will put in some wood.” The joy and blessings of service follow the rendering of service.

There comes a time in the life of all people when they must certify with their actions what they believe. Jesus said of his own life, “The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister.” (Matt. 20:28.)”

 


I want to be more like my Savior.  Serving others does bring me joy and blessings and brings me closer to my Savior and Father in Heaven.

I love my Savior.

I love you, my family and friends

No comments:

Post a Comment