Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Lots of fun and activity this week!



I’ve had so much to do, places to be, and people to hug this week that I didn’t get my blog written until Wednesday!! 

Monday was prep for the week. I did walk on Monday and Tuesday and they were beautiful mornings. 






This week we had zone conferences on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Tuesday late morning I drove to Medford to accompany a sister to a doctor’s appointment, so I missed the north zone conference. It is a 3 hour drive each way, but it was worth it to make sure the sister was getting proper treatment. 

Tuesday night I picked up my daughter, Katie, at the airport. She came to visit me for a week. Wednesday morning we started our zone conference tour. We headed for Roseburg and the central zones conference. 

After the conference, we were invited to spend the night with President and Sister Hopkins. He is the 1st counselor in the mission presidency. I have known the Hopkins since my New York Mission. We served together there from 2015 to 2017. It was fun to be with them in their beautiful mountaintop ranch home and to relive memories of our time in New York.

Sister and President Hopkins

President and Sister Cornelius, Katie, and Sister and President Hopkins




Thursday morning we headed south to Medford/Central Point for the south zones conference. Lunch is served before the teaching begins. After lunch before going into the chapel, Elder Barker talks about cars and this time I did a presentation on exercise. I jogged in and ran around the cultural hall between the tables and then told everyone about the benefits of exercise. Here are a few pictures of conference activities.






The lessons taught in the zone conferences by the missionaries and the mission presidency were much needed. We learned about how to better study the scriptures from President Wright, the importance of good communication from President and Sister Hopkins, and how important it is to allow people to change from President Cornelius. Sometimes we continue to see people as they used to be before they made changes for the better. Also President talked about casting out Satan when he tries to stop progress of missionary work. 

After the conference, Katie and I went to dinner with Sister and Elder Barker and then we went to the Medford Temple for a session.



Friday morning we drove back to Eugene for missionary interviews with the Eugene Zone missionaries. After interviews, Katie and I went to dinner at one of my favorite places, The Dough Company for a calzone.



Saturday morning we watched the first session of general conference and then drove to the coast where we stayed the night in Florence. We listened to conference talks as we drove and that evening in our room. We had fish and chips at Mo’s Fish and Chowder Restaurant.



Sunday morning we watched the first session of conference before checking out of our hotel. We drove to the Heceta Lighthouse and walked up a trail to the lighthouse. 







We listened to the afternoon session and then went to Heceta Beach and walked for a while. There was an unusual creature that I had never seen before on any beach and I’ve been to a lot of beaches all around the world. I asked some local people on the beach who were there with their children and dog and they had never seen anything like it either. 








I sent pictures to my son, Jim, who did some research and found out about the creature. Click to read a CNN article from 2014 that apparently describes this year as well. 

We drove home Sunday late afternoon listening to the final session of conference on YouTube as we didn’t have phone service where we were at the lighthouse while conference was on live.

It has been a great week of hugs from missionaries, old friends, and my Katie. 

I have loved every minute of conference and listening to the talks with Katie as we discussed and shared thoughts and feelings about the conference. We both felt that much was said about the importance of the temple and temple work and about honoring our covenants made in the temple. We will be blessed beyond measure when we are obedient in all we do concerning the covenants we have made.

I liked Elder Eyring’s talk: “I bear witness that there is nothing more important than honoring the covenants you make, or may make, in the temple. No matter where you are on the covenant path, I urge you to qualify and become eligible to attend the temple. Visit as frequently as circumstances will allow.”

After the Teton Dam collapsed in 1976, when the Eyrings were away from their children at the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple, President Eyring assured his wife all would be well with their family because of covenants. “I can assure you of the same truth.”

President Russell M Nelson reminded us about the importance of priesthood keys. Priesthood keys are what distinguish the Church from any other organization on earth and enable every covenant-keeping man and woman to enjoy “incredible personal spiritual privileges.”

The temple is spiritually empowering. “Understanding the spiritual privileges made possible in the temple is vital to each of us today.”

The temple is the gateway to the greatest blessings God has for each of His children. The temple is the only place on earth where individuals may receive all of the blessings promised to Abraham.

“Let us rejoice in the restoration of priesthood keys which make it possible for you and me to enjoy every spiritual blessing we are willing and worthy to receive.”

I hope that through these little quotes and thoughts you can see what a beautiful opportunity I feel that I had to hear and learn from our apostles and prophets.

I love my Savior.

I love you my family and friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment