Monday, October 9, 2023

I can't believe it's that time again!

I can’t believe that 6 weeks have passed and it has been transfer week again already!


Monday morning after my walk, Sisters Barker and Crump came to my apartment and we put together bags for the 29 incoming missionaries.  I think I have mentioned it before but each missionary gets a blanket, mattress cover, pillow, and pillow cover and a large blue bag to use at each transfer to carry their bedding.  We also give them a smaller orange/red bag in which they are to keep a change of clothes and necessities for an emergency “grab and go” bag.

The office was being painted and the carpets cleaned this week so I kept everything here until needed on Friday when the new missionaries arrived.  



I worked from home Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  I did go to the church for our weekly planning meeting Tuesday morning.  In the afternoon, I prepared for interviews and orientation of the new missionaries.

Wednesday evening I went to dinner with Sisters Duncan and Tripp.  Sister Tripp did get transferred so it was a “farewell” dinner. Love being with the missionaries.

The painters weren’t finished on Tuesday, so the carpets weren’t cleaned until Wednesday.  Sister Corneluis sent me this picture of my office.   With a wink and a smile in the text, she advised me that the President sent a message that I needed to be less messy in my office and get it cleaned up.  LOL   (We have been working with the missionaries to keep their apartments more clean and organized in order to invite the Spirit into their homes, so I need to be clean and organized too.   President and Sister Cornelius have great senses of humor.  I love them!) 


When I got to the office Thursday morning, I discovered that a cleaning fairy must have come into the night before as this was the condition of my office.   I later learned that the assistants to the President had been there.  Great young men.  They are so busy it made it even more impressive that they took the time to help with my office.


Thursday morning I was at the church parking lot to observe and talk to the transferring missionaries.  There were quite a few moves due to the number of incoming and departing missionaries.

Loading the trailer to take belonging and missionaries south to Medford with stops along the way.

Elder Wager gave me a silly face when I asked him where he was going.



Sister Cannon off to another adventure.  She finishes her mission now.

President Cornelius giving some last words of love and advice before prayer and heading out

Thursday evening was the departing missionary dinner at the mission home.  There were 10 departing missionaries who had completed their missions.  I love to be with them at these dinners but it is difficult to say “adios”.  I always hope to see them again along the path of life.

Sisters Adams, Cannon, Jimenez, Wood, Ware


Smiling Elder Thornton

Elders Robison, Kynaston, Keetch, Peterson

Elders Varty and Wilson




Friday Sisters Barker and Crump came to my apartment to finish up the bags.  We ran out of a few pillows and blankets on Monday, so we finished putting them together and loaded up our vehicles with bags and supplies and headed off to the church to get everything set up for the lunch and interviews.  

We set up tables and chairs for 80.   

While we were waiting for the missionaries to arrive from the airport, a few sisters waiting for their new companions and I took a walk around the church parking lot. Sisters Withers, O'Farrel, Lunt, Eastman, Linares, Chaddock, Richins

One of the sisters that finished her mission was Sister Jimenez.   I met her early in my mission and we became friends.  I am trying to re-learn the Spanish I took in high school (those many years ago) so I am studying Duolingo.  Sister Jimenez and I always tried to converse in Spanish when we were together.  She was kind and helpful in reminding me of words I couldn’t recall.  Her home state is Washington so her father came to pick her up on Saturday.  She wanted me to meet her father so I met them at the office. What a delight! I will miss my Spanish teacher.




Saturday late afternoon, the office missionaries were invited by Elder and Sister Talanoa who serve at Camp Alpine, along with Elder and Sister Asay, to come to a luau they put on for their ward. Just as a reminder, I told about Camp Alpine in a previous blog post, but the camp is owned by the Church. Two senior couples are called to serve there and manage the camp. The site is used for young women and men camps, family reunions, weddings, or any other stake or ward functions.   

There was a good sized turn out from the Junction City Ward, great food, and entertainment.


Elder Talanoa putting out the fire in the pit where he roasted the pig


My plate FULL of yumminess



Elder Talanoa and some relatives and daughters of friends

Young women of the Junction City Ward

A traditional Tongan dance


This week was really hectic so I squeezed in my walks whenever I could.  I did walk by the river 3-4 of the days.  Just have to share some of the good views I enjoyed. 
 

Sunrise and a white heron on the log


Fall foliage – I love it!!




Large river rat. I think the mother to the smaller river rat in pictures below. Difficult to get an accurate perspective as to size. It was still fairly dark so the light is a little weird.


Misty morning


In preparation for zone conferences next week, I have been studying some specific assigned chapters in Preach My Gospel:  A Guide to Sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. In chapter 4, I studied the importance of seeking the guidance of the Holy Ghost. It reads: 

“The gift of the Holy Ghost is one of the greatest gifts that God has given His children.  It is vital in your work as a missionary.  You need the guiding, revelatory power of the Holy Ghost as you help people be baptized, confirmed, and converted.”  

Going on: “You face different needs and circumstances every day.  Promptings from the Spirit will help you know what to do and say.  As you seek and act on these promptings, the Holy Ghost will magnify your abilities and service to far exceed what you can do on your own.  He will help you in every aspect of your missionary service and your personal life.”

President Russell M Nelson said in April Conference 2018:  

“In coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost.”

I know that in my work as the health advisor, I am guided often by the Holy Ghost in knowing how to help the missionaries as they call with physical and mental illness and challenges.  I know and recognize the blessing of this gift I have been given.   I know that my Savior lives and that I can rely on Him in every way.  

I love my Savior.

I love you my family and friends.  Have a blessed week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment