Sunday, October 29, 2023

Business as usual but always time for hugs.



Our mail person, Teresa, is the best! Every day she brings in letters and boxes and big smiles and hugs. Friday she was lamenting that we, the office missionaries, always seems to be leaving her. We all assured her that we would be staying for at least another year. Sweet lady!

I don’t have a lot to share this week. I have been busy getting the pre-mission health information gathered for the missionaries coming in November. I go through the information so I will know what medications etc that I will need to be prepared to help them with. Some will need to find local doctors as soon as they arrive so that they will have time to schedule appointments to get medication refills that can’t be prescribed from their home physicians. Others have allergies that I need to be aware of and then there are the diabetics and those with illnesses that require special attention. 

At the moment, we are expecting 22 missionaries but are likely to have more at the last minute. Those going to foreign countries that have not yet received their visas are sent to state side missions to serve while waiting. Thus we call them “visa waiters.” We love them all. They are great young people whether they will be with us for 2 days or 2 years.

We are having a sisters’ conference next week so I have been shopping for food and other supplies with Sisters Barker and Crump. I have helped set up the speakers, music, and program with Sister Cornelius. More to come next week.

I went with President and Sister Cornelius on Tuesday for interviews in Roseburg, an hour and a half away. Always enjoyable to visit with the missionaries. I didn’t get any pictures. Next time!!

I spoiled myself with missionary meals though. Wednesday evening I went to dinner at Mandy’s Family Restaurant with three beautiful sisters.

Sisters Vanis, Crouch, and Campbell

Breakfast for dinner – a favorite! Chicken and waffle with over easy eggs.
Had to bring half home for leftovers.

Saturday I went to lunch and then ice cream with two sisters and three elders.

Sisters Crouch and Campbell and Elders Walton, Jardine, and Smith

We went to the Dough Co before going to Salt and Straw for the ice cream

We went to the Dough Co before going to Salt and Straw for the ice cream

Matching outfit day at the office on Thursday 

Sister Eastman

It has been colder here this week. Only had rain one and a half days. The rest were bright and crisp. Walking is wonderful and the best way to start the day.

Tuesday walking with Sisters Barker and Crump and Elder Crump

This mama nutria and her 3 babies are often by the walkway along the river. 

Nutria, a large, semi-aquatic rodent native to South America, were brought to the United States for their fur in the 1880s. They were introduced to Oregon in the 1930s. Farming nutria fur was marketed as a quick and easy way to make money. When the nutria fur market collapsed in the late 1940s, however, thousands of nutria were released. Because of their prolific and mobile nature, the population quickly spread throughout western Oregon.

From a distance, nutria or coypu (Myocastor coypus) can be mistaken for beaver, but it is a smaller animal with a thin, pointed tail. Nutria have prominent orange incisors and are about two feet long, with fur that ranges from yellowish to dark brown. Their hind feet are webbed to facilitate swimming, and their noses, eyes, and ears are set high on their heads. Nutria live in freshwater marshes and wetlands and can adapt relatively easily to different habitats.

 

Love this sunrise over the river

Wednesday the sky was clear enough to see the moon and Venus

Saturday morning it was really cold. Frost everywhere and mist rising from a pond.

Frost on the grasses and leaves




The trees are gorgeous!

Sister and Elder Crump walked with me on Saturday. Because we didn’t have to be in the office, we waited until it was light outside. We walked to a different area than we usually walk. I don’t know what this “monument” was to represent but I thought it was interesting. 

I believe that these birds are cormorants. 

We walked along the path in front of the Stadium at the University of Oregon.


There must have been a high school band competition or something going on there. There were busloads of students arriving and some already practicing on the grassy areas. 


Rather dreary music


Sunday morning view of the beautiful blue sky and trees looking off my apartment deck


Because of the nature of my calling, I don’t share a lot of what I do, but the health problems that missionaries have are most often colds, flu, preparation day activity injuries from basketball or volleyball, homesickness, etc. I love being able to be a nurse, grandma, mentor, or whatever need must be filled. I don’t like that people get sick but I do like being able to help them. I have several area doctors and the nurses at Missionary Medical that offer support and advice and are helpful in many ways. I value the guidance I received from the Spirit as well. I’m sure you know and are tired of the repetition but I am blessed beyond measure to serve in this capacity.

I love my Savior.

I love you my family and friends. Have a blessed week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment