Monday, October 23, 2023

The fog, clouds and rain are upon us



Monday morning, Sister Barker and I walked in the rain.  Neither of us was singing but it was not too bad.  She is a good sport to go with me.  Sister and Elder Crump joined us on a few other days.  The rest of the week was a mixture of fog and heavy mist with intermittent moments of actual rain.  






Mushrooms by the river

This picture came up in my memories on FB from seven years ago October 22.  This was taken out on Fire Island beach during my NYC mission.  Great memories and making new great memories now.

I really don’t mind rain and cloudy days.  It makes me want to bake bread and make soup!  I have done neither of these but the inclination is there nonetheless.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were interview days for the three zones here in Eugene.  The missionaries came to the office at their appointed times to visit with President Cornelius and Sister Cornelius and I listened to each of them recite a memorized scripture and enjoyed interacting and visiting with them.  It is really delightful to be with them.  

Monday, I went to lunch with 2 of the sisters that had come to the office on their preparation day to pick up supplies.  We went to the Dough Co for calzones.

Sister Budge and Palmer

Pepperoni calzone

Monday evening, Sister and Elder Barker and Sister and Elder Crump and I went to a late dinner and then to Salt and Straw for ice cream.  I run with the best crowd!!


Elder and Sister Barker

Elder and Sister Crump


Dinner on Tuesday evening.  Love a salad!!


After interviews on Thursday, I went to a Red Cross Blood Drive being held in the stake center next to the office to donate.  


Friday our interviews were in Corvallis.  Since it was not far out of the way, President wanted to visit with the senior missionary couples at Camp Alpine.  We toured the camp to see how things were going.  The pond/lake had been drained for the winter and new grass had been planted in many camp sites.  A parking lot had been enlarged and everything looked good.  The assistants to the president were more than excited to take the tour in a cart.  

Elders Kynaston and Varty






Sister Cornelius

Saturday, I drove back to Corvallis (about an hour each way) to take some medication to a missionary there.  

Often there are areas here that remind me a lot of my time in New Zealand.  This row of trees along the highway reminds me of the roads I used to drive a lot in the north island through the farm land.

The package of medication hadn’t arrived to the office until after we had left on Friday and the missionary needed the medication so it gave me an excuse (not that I need an excuse LOL) to take some missionaries out to lunch.  I had invited others to join us but they had already made appointments for lunch and or lessons.  I was lucky to be joined by four wonderful missionaries at Panera where I had a fuji apple salad – YUM - but no picture, and then off to an ice cream store before heading back to Eugene.


Sisters Richins and Huffaker – Elders Asay and Fawson

It has been a great week.  I enjoy my time with the missionaries and also being able to enjoy my time in nature walking along the river and the meadows/wetlands.

I very much receive blessings of every kind when I serve the Lord and others.  I recognize that everything I have is a gift and blessing from my loving Father in Heaven.  

 There is a hymn that I love.  The words describe my feelings better than I can:

Because I Have Been Given Much

Because I have been given much,
I too must give;
Because of thy great bounty Lord,
Each day I live;
I shall divide my gifts from thee
With every brother that I see
Who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered, fed
By thy good care;
I cannot see another’s lack and I not share;
My glowing fire, my loaf of bread,
my roof's safe shelter overhead
That he too may be comforted.

 Because I have been blessed by
thy great love dear Lord;
I’ll share thy love again
According to thy word;
I shall give love to those in need,
I’ll show that love by word and deed;
Thus shall my thanks be thanks in deed.

 
I will try in every way I can to share what I have been given.  I fall short in so many ways but I’ll never quit trying.

I love my Savior.

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment