Monday, December 11, 2023

We live in a wonderful world



With the announcement of the new apostle, Elder Patrick Kearon, I wanted to listen to some of the talks he has given. I found one that I particularly enjoyed. He gave the commencement address at BYU in April 2019 titled A More Wonderful World. (I’ll mention more about the speech later.) He quoted the lyrics of a song that I have liked for many years: “What a Wonderful World,” made famous by Louis Armstrong. The words are:

I see trees of green, red roses too.
I see them bloom for me and you,
And I think to myself, “What a wonderful world.”

I see skies of blue and clouds of white,
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night,
And I think to myself, “What a wonderful world.”

The colors of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky,
Are also on the faces of people going by.
I see friends shaking hands, saying, “How do you do?”
They’re really saying, “I love you.”

I hear babies cry, I watch them grow.
They’ll learn much more than I’ll ever know.
Yes, I think to myself, “What a wonderful world.”

We do live in a wonderful world. This week I traveled with President and Sister Cornelius to Klamath Falls and Medford driving through mountains, meadows, and farmland. I walked along the river and through the wetlands/prairie. There is no place on this earth that I have been blessed to visit that is not absolutely beautiful. 

Monday and Tuesday mornings were cloudy but not rainy. Last week it was 24 degrees when walking and rainy. This week the temperatures were in the 50’s and 60’s and cloudy. 


The sun rise was colorful both mornings.




My walking partners Elder and Sister Crump

My other walking partner, Sister Barker

This tree fell over across the path knocking down the fence on one side and crushing the top of the fence on the other side


We are seeing nutria almost every day along the path


Tuesday evening I had dinner with Sisters Campbell and Crouch at Tacovore. I had a taco asado.





I left early Wednesday morning with President and Sister Cornelius for the 3 hour drive to Klamath Falls where we had interviews with the missionaries in that zone. We drove over several mountain passes. Some had received snow but the roads were good.

Clouds on the mountains in the farmland.


Clouds over Upper Klamath Lake


After interviews, we drove to Medford where we stayed for 2 nights so we could interview the 2 zones in that area. 

We carried mail to the missionaries in all of the zones we visited. In the Medford zone, Sister Chatwin got an advent calendar from her grandmother.

A picture before interviews started. Sisters Chatwin and Cummings, President and Sister Cornelius, and Elders Varty and Fawson

The Medford sisters gave me this Christmas Card. Sisters Bottomly, Chatwin, Cummings, and Thompson

We returned to Eugene Friday evening to Eugene. 

We have had a cold virus running rampant in the mission. Many have sinus congestion, sore throats, runny noses, coughs. You know all that goes along with this season. I have joined in with a cough but I don’t feel sick. I just cough. I’ll wear a mask for a while when I go around others.

Saturday morning I walked at the prairie. With all of the rain that we’ve had over the past couple of weeks, the ground was flooded in many areas and the geese and ducks were most happy.



My favorite tree at the prairie

The trees, clouds, and colorful skies do make for wonderful pictures and a beautiful world.

In the speech by Elder Kearon that I mentioned earlier, he is speaking to the BYU graduates in detail about making the world more wonderful. I have shown pictures and talked about the physical aspects of the wonderful world. He talks about the ways that you and I can make this a more wonderful world for ourselves and for those around us. 

He teaches about repentance and becoming a true disciple of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He says: 

“As you take your next steps along the path of discipleship, let this new understanding and relationship with your Father and Savior shape your life. You can shape this wonderful world, or you can certainly shape your corner of it. And you will definitely see it differently. 

Wherever you have come from, whatever your background, you are enormously privileged to have had these educational and spiritual opportunities here on this campus. There are so many across the globe whose lives and situations are so much less than this. Our sisters and brothers suffer from poverty, oppression, injustice, war, and corruption—to name but a few of the conditions of this telestial world. As you set goals and make plans for your life, working to relieve the suffering and lift the burdens of others should be present in your endeavors. These don’t have to be grand acts. You may not be in a position to make a global impact—though some of you will—but all of you will be able to do your part in spreading light, hope, peace, joy, and love in your circles of influence, helping to make this a more wonderful world for more of God’s children.”

There is so much more to learn and enjoy in this speech. I would encourage you to read, watch or listen to it.

I pray that we will have the light of the Savior in our lives as we serve and lift and help those around us. I’m going to try to be a better citizen of the world and make it a more wonderful place.

I love my Savior.

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment