Monday, November 27, 2023

It has been a quiet, routine week.




I love every minute on my mission whether it is hectic and run, run, run or a slower pace. This week has been fairly quiet compared to the last few weeks of meetings, interviews, lunches/dinners, new missionaries, etc. 

I’ve enjoyed my walks this week even though the weather is colder and it has been foggy most mornings. I have been using my new head light and safety vest. Sister Barker gave them to me for my birthday and bought some for herself so we are safe and can see where we are going when we begin our walks in the dark. 

We’ve seen a lot of nutria this week. Here is a pretty big one. They are about the size of a beaver.

Saturday morning, it was 25ish degrees and since I didn’t have to be at the office, I didn’t walk until 9:00. 


There was still frost on the playgrounds and the grass



It was sunny even though it was still cold. I had never noticed seagulls on the river before but they didn’t seem to mind the cold.

 Plenty of geese on the lawns

This grey squirrel didn’t seem to mind the cold either

Love his bushy grey tail

It is that time of year when the days are shorter, the weather is colder and wetter (as I mentioned previously), and viruses seem to run rampant. Most of my calls from missionaries have dealt with runny/stuffy noses, coughs, sore throats, and headaches. There have been a few twisted ankles and upset stomachs. 

As the days get shorter and darker, it is more difficult to stay positive and happy all of the time as well, so I have been able to help a few missionaries get counseling and help with their feelings of sadness and discouragement. It makes me feel good to be able to help even in small ways.

Thanksgiving day was clear and crisp.


As I left my apartment complex that morning, the turkeys were out in force. One would think they would be hiding today of all days. LOL


I walked with Sister and Elder Barker and then had dinner with them at Shari’s Restaurant. I’ve never eaten at a restaurant on Thanksgiving before so this was a first. I neglected to get pictures though. Elder and Sister Barker had the traditional turkey dinner. I opted for salmon. We all had huckleberry pie for dessert. After dinner we came to my apartment and played some games. 

Elder and Sister Barker on the bridge across the river during our walk

We have an area dental advisor who helps with dental questions and problems. He sent me this cartoon with his “Happy Thanksgiving” text.


I love poinsettias! It wouldn’t be Christmas without them in my home so I am going to enjoy them as long as possible this season. I have spread them around my apartment and I will take one to put on my office desk tomorrow.




I am always grateful for the many blessings I have been given. I am grateful for my Savior and the gifts He has given to me. I read a post on FB that really touched me. Many of you may have already seen it but I wanted to share it so that I would have it in my “journal.” It was shared by one of my friends and originally posted by Patrick Risk.

“There I was at Target on Black Friday when, amidst the busy shoppers looking for deals, I heard a loud crash and something shattering. Being nosy, I walked towards the sound and saw some people whispering and looking back to the end of the next aisle. When I walked down that aisle, I saw that an older lady had hit a shelf and many things had fallen to the ground and broken. She was kneeling on the floor embarrassed, frantically trying to clean it up. I felt so bad for her.

Everyone was just standing there staring at her. So I went and knelt beside her and told her not to worry and started helping her pick up the broken pieces. After about a minute, the store manager came and knelt beside us and said, “Leave it, we will clean this up.” The lady, totally embarrassed said, “I need to pay for all this.” The manager smiled, helped her to her feet and said, “No ma’am, we have insurance for this, you do not have to pay for anything!”

If you have read this far, give me another minute…

Wherever you are, close your eyes, and imagine Christ doing the same for you! Imagine the broken pieces of your mistakes or the pieces of your broken heart. There they all are, scattered all over the floor. And there you are, on your hands and knees, trying to collect all of the pieces to somehow put them back together again. Now imagine the Savior comes and kneels right down beside you, smiles and says to you, “Leave it all there, I will clean this up for you.”

Jesus loves you that much and wants to put all of your pieces back together if you will let Him! With Him we have this insurance and it’s called GRACE! It’s free! All you have to do is ask Him to forgive you, help you, and to heal you. He’s faithful, I promise!”

 


 

I love my Savior

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment