Monday, November 20, 2023

Another year older and so very very blessed!



We only celebrate a birthday once a year but what a celebration I had this year! I was blessed to talk to my children and grandchildren and received numerous messages from so many loved ones/friends. My mission family celebrated with me in a big way too. I received hugs from sweet sisters and well wishes from many others... Also my love for chocolate has been noted. 

My heart has been overflowing along with my eyes. I can’t seem to be with the people I love when my emotions run high without crying but somethings never change with age….

Friday, my birthday, was a busy, long day starting at 5:15. I went walking with Sister Barker and Elder and Sister Crump. We went straight from our walk to the chapel to set up for the arrival and lunch for 26 new missionaries. There were elders already in the office after having dropped off departing missionaries at the airport so they helped set up the tables and chairs to feed the 70ish people (new missionaries and their trainers) and carry bags and boxes to the church. You probably remember that each missionary gets new bedding in a big bag. Also many families send boxes to their arriving missionaries. 

After we were set up, I went back to my apartment to shower and get ready for the day. The new missionaries arrived from the airport around 1:00. We ate lunch and then I interviewed each new arrival to go over health history and some things they need to know about health care in the mission field. This is an enjoyable experience for me but the poor missionaries are so overwhelmed and tired from the travel process, that that they could barely keep going.

I’m going to post pictures from the day in no particular order. This blog is also my journal so I want to be able to see all of the people and events that made my day extra special.

I was at the church when I received a text from Sister Crump to come to the office. I had been waiting for a delivery of medication for a missionary so I went to the office:


Sisters Lerch and Richins

My office decorated for the surprise

Sisters Zollinger, Bullock, O’Barr, Sterzer, Richins and Lerch


Elders Morgan and Hansen


Waiting in the office and at the church for the arrivals





They finally arrived.



We had soup, salad and birthday cake for lunch. President Cornelius called me from the hall into the cultural hall for the blessing on the food after which everyone sang Happy Birthday to me. That truly caused the tears to flow!

I arrived back at my apartment just after 5:00. Sister and Elder Barker picked me up and we met Sister and Elder Crump at Chao Pra Ya Thai Restaurant for dinner. Very thoughtful friends and family I have!


We were so hungry we didn’t get the “before” pictures. Instead you are getting the left-over pictures. Tom Kha soup, a beef dish (can’t remember the name) and pad Thai. It was all delicious!


The rest of the week has been pretty routine. It has been quite rainy so the Willamette River looked pretty muddy this week.


It is often dark when we walk so Sister Barker gave me a safety vest and headlamp for our dark morning walks. She bought one for herself too so we will be twinners all lit up and safe. Love it!!

I also saw a flock of turkeys in my apartment complex. It was raining hard so I stayed in my car and took a picture through the window. Not a very clear picture but you get the idea.


Tuesday Sister Barker and I inspected 4 apartments which took us all afternoon until dinner time. It is fun going into the homes of the missionaries and sharing thoughts and feelings with them.

Thursday morning I helped Sister Barker assemble the bedding bags.




Thursday evening was the dinner at the Mission Home for the departing missionaries. I have grown to love these young women and men so it is a difficult evening when I have to say good-bye. I am going to see them in the future I know, but it is nevertheless tearful, at least on my part.



Saturday morning I walked Wild Iris Ridge trail with Sister and Elder Crump. It has been foggy many mornings and Saturday was no exception but it was still fun.





Sunday I joined the Crumps at the Barker apartment for dinner. Sister Barker had prepared a Mexican meal of enchiladas, beans, rice and not so Mexican German chocolate cake and ice cream for dessert. Our mother always make German chocolate cake for special occasions. 

I am always grateful for all I have been given. I recognize that everything I have is a gift from my loving Father in Heaven. Being grateful brings me happiness. I often tell missionaries who are struggling with physical or mental health or relationship problems, etc. that if they will make a gratitude journal and write in it every day at least 3 things for which they are grateful, they will have an easier time and they will be happy.

From a talk by Bonnie D. Parkin given in April2007, Gratitude: A Path to Happiness:

“Gratitude requires awareness and effort, not only to feel it but to express it. Frequently we are oblivious to the Lord’s hand. We murmur, complain, resist, criticize; so often we are not grateful. In the Book of Mormon, we learn that those who murmur do not know “the dealings of that God who … created them.” (1 Nephi 2:12) The Lord counsels us not to murmur because it is then difficult for the Spirit to work with us.

Gratitude is a Spirit-filled principle. It opens our minds to a universe permeated with the richness of a living God. Through it, we become spiritually aware of the wonder of the smallest things, which gladden our hearts with their messages of God’s love. This grateful awareness heightens our sensitivity to divine direction. When we communicate gratitude, we can be filled with the Spirit and connected to those around us and the Lord. Gratitude inspires happiness and carries divine influence. “Live in thanksgiving daily,” said Amulek, “for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.” (Alma 34:38)

I am grateful for my Heavenly Father and my Savior and I love them.

I love you my dear family and friends and I am grateful for you and the love and support I receive from you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment