Monday, July 17, 2023

Transfer week is in the books!



Elders Packer and Hansen came into my office on Monday morning and asked to get a picture with me in case one or both of them were transferred.  Elder Hansen was one of the first missionaries I met when I came to the mission.


It has been a very busy week and I have loved every minute of it!  We had 10 missionaries complete their missions and 15 new missionaries arrive plus the domino effect of moving people around to fit the needs of the mission and the work.   I am not as involved as many.  The logistics of getting everyone where they need to be in a safe and timely manner is unreal.

We have a geographically large mission.  From Eugene, it is more than a 3 ½ hour drive to the southern boundary of the mission in California.  It is a 1 ½ hour drive approximately to the northern boundary.  East to west, I can only guesstimate but I would say 1 ½  to 2 ½ hours.  Our president, his assistants and the mission secretary all coordinate the effort. 

Missionaries have to be taken to the airport and picked up at the airport and the comings and goings are never at the same time.  Transfer day is actually Thursday.  The assistants to the president and a couple of zone leaders help with moving missionaries and their belongings from place to place.  The mission has a pickup truck and cargo trailer and a passenger van.  The luggage of course goes into the truck and trailer and the missionaries being moved go in the van. 
 




They leave the mission office early Tuesday morning headed south with designated meeting spots in the major towns where transferring missionaries and their belongings can be dropped off or picked up.  They go to Medford which is about 3 plus hours depending on traffic and with stops along the way, it is a time consuming drive so more than the 3 plus hours.

Then they head back to Eugene by a different route.  It usually turns out to be a 10-12 hour day.

Friday is the day the arriving (new) missionaries come and the departing missionaries leave.  I hope this jumbled explanation gives you a preview and slight understanding of the planning this all takes.  And for the willingness and patience of the mission leaders.  Everyone working together makes it happen.

I am at some of the planning sessions but I really just get to sit back and enjoy being around these amazing young people.  

The mission president and his wife prepared a dinner on Thursday evening at the Mission Home for the departing missionaries.  I and the Crumps and Klaass, who are the senior office missionaries, helped with the dinner.






On Friday the new (incoming) missionaries are given lunch at the Stake Center, also provided by President and Sister Cornelius, when they arrive.  Sister Klaass, Sister Crump, and I help set up the lunch tables and get the food set up so the missionaries can eat as a group as soon as they arrive from the airport.   Sister Klaass does most of the lunch table preparations with set up, center pieces, etc.

Tables set up and ready for missionaries

Sisters waiting for their new companions to arrive

Lunch is served


After lunch they are interviewed by the President and I also interview each one to get a health update as to allergies, medications they take, diets, etc.  Elder Klaass helps get the drivers to fill out the paper work so that they can drive mission cars.  

I do believe that there are a lot of prayers offered and maybe even some lost sleep getting everything organized but all is orderly and well managed.  I am always impressed by the way the Lord’s work progresses.

It has been a beautiful week but I’ll admit it is a little hotter than my preferred temperature.  I try to be out the door no later than 5:30 for my morning walks.


Tuesday morning sunrise

First turtle I’ve seen on my walks

Love the flowers.


Saturday morning I walked with Elder and Sister Crump along the Wild Iris Ridgeline Trail.  No wild iris blooming now but still gorgeous.









After my hike, I went with my friend Diana to a few garage sales and then to lunch at Jung’s Mongolian Grill.  YUM!!



Saturday afternoon I went grocery shopping.  My car had been sitting all day in the sun.  It was 105 degrees when I first started it but by the time I had turned on my air and got my phone, it dropped to 103.   I ran another errand around 6:00.  Even after being out and about with the air on, it was 100.  So I believe that was the true temp.  WAY TOO HOT!!!!!


Missing my family and friends and not enjoying the heat but I am happy to be here.

Here are some miscellaneous pics from the week.

Sister Cummings and I matched / color coordinated out outfits one day.  I love it.

Because I often sit in on organizational meetings, the missionaries think I might know who and where people will be transferred.  No one knows that info except for the president and the assistants to the president until Wednesday evening just before transfers.  Sister Crouch came to my office and tried to bribe me with 2 quarters to tell her if she was being transferred.  LOL

Because we didn’t know when we would get to eat together again due to transfers (Sister West was transferred south but did not leave until Friday because she was assigned to a new incoming missionary), we went to lunch on Thursday.  Sisters Crouch, Sutherland, Tripp, and West



The office was a buzz of activity on Thursday with missionaries waiting for companions to arrive from the south, north, east, and west….


Serving the Lord and being a missionary is such an honor and joy.  

I love my Savior.

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment