Monday, May 1, 2023

Walking is beneficial


Sister Crump with me walking the path along the river bank

Because I don’t/can’t (HIPPA) discuss my week as the mission health advisor in depth, I do have the blessing of helping the missionaries.  This week we had another bike accident resulting in a sprained wrist.  There were a few calls for help with sore throats-coughs-fever, headache, congestion - all tested negative for COVID.  One missionary chipped a tooth and another was having pain in the wisdom teeth which are going to be removed next month.  (Missionaries are screened before their mission and usually have wisdom teeth removed prior to the mission but wisdom teeth of this particular missionary had already erupted and seemed to have plenty of room and declared not to be a problem.) 

We have had difficulty finding Adderall and some other medications which is a nationwide problem so we have worked on searching for prescription medications by calling pharmacies.  There have been some mental health issues (discouragement, home sickness, etc), stomach aches, headaches, etc. I do find myself a little busier than when I first arrived.  I love being here to help when I can.

Sister and Elder Crump walked with me 2 days this week.  We walked around the neighborhood one day and along the river another day.  I walked every morning.  It has been warmer and dry this week.  In fact, it was 90 degrees on Friday.

Map of the walking paths along the Willamette River


Beautiful sunrise and flowering tree beside the river

Muscovy duck on the path.  Always see Canadian and white geese and mallard ducks but this is the first Muscovy I’ve seen here


Squirrel around my neighborhood walks

Flowers in my neighborhood






You may not see geese and ducks, or squirrels on your walk but walking is beneficial in so many ways.  I highly recommend it to everyone.  In preparing a handout for the missionaries, I read an article on Healthline listing a few of the many benefits of walking.  You may read the entire article for all of the info.

Walking can offer numerous health benefits to people of all ages and fitness levels. It may also help prevent certain diseases and even prolong your life. 

Walking is free to do and easy to fit into your daily routine. All you need to start walking is a sturdy pair of walking shoes. 

Here are a few of the benefits:

1. Burn calories   Walking can help you burn calories. Burning calories can help you maintain or lose weight. 

2. Strengthen the heart   Walking at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week can reduce your risk for coronary heart disease by about 19 percent. And your risk may reduce even more when you increase the duration or distance you walk per day. 

3. Can help lower your blood sugar   Taking a short walk after eating may help lower your blood sugar. 

4. Eases joint pain   Walking can help protect the joints, including your knees and hips. That’s because it helps lubricate and strengthen the muscles that support the joints. 

Walking may also provide benefits for people living with arthritis, such as reducing pain. And walking 5 to 6 miles a week may also help prevent arthritis. 

5. Boosts immune function    Walking may reduce your risk for developing a cold or the flu. 

6. Boost your energy    Going for a walk when you’re tired may be a more effective energy boost than grabbing a cup of coffee. 

7. Improve your mood    Walking can help your mental health. Studies show it can help reduce anxiety, depression, and a negative mood. It can also boost self-esteem and reduce symptoms of social withdrawal. 

8. Extend your life   Walking at a faster pace could extend your life. Researchers found that walking at an average pace compared to a slow pace resulted in a 20 percent reduced risk of overall death. 

9. Tone your legs    Walking can strengthen the muscles in your legs. 

10. Creative thinking    Walking may help clear your head and help you think creatively. 

It has been a fun week.  Tuesday evening I invited Elder and Sister Mackley to dinner.  They will finish their mission on the 5th.  We were so busy vising that I neglected to get a picture of us.  

Thursday I helped the office staff to move some sisters from one apartment to another apartment closer to the area where they are assigned to work.  






Saturday I went to breakfast with a new friend, I met at church, Diana Lamboy.  She is a nurse practitioner with her doctorate in nursing.  She works at a Lane County Health Clinic. 
 





She wanted to buy some herbs so we planned to go to a plant sale at the fairgrounds.  Every year nearby farmers bring plants to the fair grounds to sell to the public.  When we arrived we were excited to go in but as we turned the corner of the coliseum to get in line to enter, the line was dauntingly long.  We opted to go to a private nursery to look at plants.  It was really a fun morning.




After Diana dropped me at my apartment, I decided to go to the Eugene Saturday Market just to see what it was like.  I enjoyed walking around looking at all of the foods and products that people were selling.  I didn’t buy anything but I do know where to go for fresh vegetables, baked goods, eggs, meats and fish, and all kinds of crafty items like jewelry, pictures, purses, etc.





Saturday evening I ate dinner with the Klaass’s and afterward played UNO and Boggle. I took a salad



This week as I walked I listened to some of the Come Follow Me podcasts.  As the presenters talked about the Savior, the Good Shepherd, a reference was made to an October 1989 General Conference talk given by Jayne B Malan titled The Summer of the Lambs.  I remembered this talk as I read it.  It is most touching!!  Sister Malan remembers the summer that she was about 12 when her father asked her and her brother to be responsible for and to feed 350 bummer lambs.  A bummer lamb is a motherless lamb.  These lambs didn’t know how to eat.  They didn’t have teeth to eat grass and they didn’t know how to eat or drink from a trough.  I invite you to read or watch this talk.  It is worth the 10 minutes that it will take.

I’ll admit that I shed a few tears as I read this talk but it helped me to recognize again the part that my Savior, Jesus Christ, plays in my life as he “shepherds” me through trials and tribulations and how I’m needed to guide and help the “lambs” around me.  He doesn’t want to lose any of His lambs.


I know that Jesus Christ lives and loves us.  He is there to support and lift.  He has suffered for us and died for us and resurrected for us.  I love my Shepherd and Savior. 

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment