Monday, April 24, 2023

Change is Constant




 

Change is the constant in the mission field just as it is in everyone’s life.  Every day brings change of one kind or another.  In the mission you can count on change every six weeks because that is the time when a few missionaries go home and a few more come to the mission.   The numbers vary but even the change of one missionary can cause a domino effect.  Companionships change and “older” missionaries (time in the mission) train new missionaries so it leads to change for many.  The day of departure and arrival is termed “transfer day”.

This day of change has caused me to contemplate change in general.  We roll with these changes most of the time but it can be stressful and challenging at other times depending on the type of change.  Over the last few years, for example, COVID has caused countless changes in our lives.  We learned to avoid being in crowds.  We stayed at home to work.  We didn’t go to church.  We didn’t go shopping.  Social media became a big part of many lives.   I could go on and on.  

The way we react to change is different for each of us.  Our attitude and flexibility can make such a difference.  I read an interesting talk given at a BYU devotional by Randy J. Olsen  titled Perspectives on Change.

In this talk, Brother Olsen says:  “the inescapable truth is that whether we welcome change or dread it, change will occur. Understanding this, how can we cope with those changes that are so stressful? In answer to this question, I would like to offer a short story—a parable if you will.

The Caterpillar and the Butterfly

Here is my version of the parable of the caterpillar and the butterfly:

There were once two caterpillars, one brown and one green, who lived in the same tree and became extremely close friends. Each morning they would find each other and then settle down on a large leaf where they could eat and talk throughout the day. Munching on leaves in the cool shade of the tree, they were as happy as two friends could possibly be.

Then one morning the brown caterpillar awoke to find his friend missing. He crawled frantically from one branch to another looking for the green caterpillar, but his friend was simply nowhere to be found. Sad and lonely, the brown caterpillar finally gave up his search and selected a leaf to eat for breakfast. The next day and the day following that, the brown caterpillar spent each morning looking for his friend but with no success. Gradually he forgot about the green caterpillar altogether.

Then, one late afternoon just as the sun was setting, a beautiful butterfly landed on the same leaf where the caterpillar was resting. The caterpillar had, of course, seen butterflies before, but he had never been so close to one of these beautiful creatures. He couldn’t help but contrast the delicate body and wings of the butterfly with his own thick and clumsy appearance. To his surprise, the butterfly spoke to him.

“Oh, it’s so good to see you again, old friend!” said the butterfly.

“What?” responded the caterpillar in surprise. “Are you talking to me?”

“Well, of course I am,” responded the butterfly. “Don’t you recognize me?”

The caterpillar, puzzled and embarrassed, said: “I’m sorry, but I really don’t remember having met you before. Perhaps you’re mistaking me for someone else.”

“No, there is no mistake,” said the butterfly, “but I suppose that I have changed a lot and so I shouldn’t be surprised that you don’t recognize me anymore. I was once a green caterpillar, and you and I spent many days together in this very tree.”

Looking at the beautiful butterfly, the caterpillar was astonished and asked, “You were once my friend the green caterpillar? But how could that be? How could a caterpillar become a butterfly? That seems impossible.”

“Well, it wasn’t easy,” admitted the butterfly, “but when I was a caterpillar I always believed that I had the power to change if I really wanted to. And to tell you the truth, changing into a butterfly wasn’t even the hardest part. The hardest part was giving up being a caterpillar.” (See also Trina Paulus, Hope for the Flowers [New York: Paulist Press, 1972].)”

Whether we welcome change or fear change, it is a fact of life.  I like to think that change is an opportunity to for growth.  I hope that you will find change in your life a positive and growing experience.

It has been a good week in the mission.  There have been, as always, general and expected illnesses:  stomach issues, headaches, knee and foot injuries on preparation day, etc.  but for the most part all is well.

Tuesday I went to the church next to our office where the Red Cross was having a blood drive.  I donated as evidenced by the above picture.

Rec hall in Chapel with Red Blood Drive

Wednesday, I helped set up and get ready for the new arriving missionaries.  I picked up sandwiches at Subway and helped Sister Klaass.  She arranges the paperwork and other essentials for the training and settling in of the arrivals.  They each meet with the mission president, President Weekes, and those who will be driving fill out forms for insurance, etc.  They meet their new companions and get their assignments and phones for the area where they will be working.  Each area has a phone number that is assigned to that area so every time a missionary is transferred, he/she gets a new phone number.  That may sound confusing. (The “newbies” come straight from the airport and are tired and confused so it is a stressful day for many of them.)

Normal day in the office.  Missionaries working at social networking

Thursday and Friday I followed up with missionaries on calls I had had through the week and prepared my weekly report for President Weekes and for the area medical advisor who is over several missions in the northwest.

Saturday I went grocery shopping, did some laundry, and made taco soup for dinner with Elder and Sister Klaass.  Sister Klaass made mini chocolate cream and pecan pies for dessert.  We played games afterward and had an enjoyable evening.

Elder and Sister Klaass


Sunday I invited the new senior couple, Elder and Sister Crump, for left-over taco soup dinner.  They will be replacing Elder and Sister Mackley who will be going home week after next.

Elder and Sister Crump


I’ve enjoyed my daily morning walks, rain or shine.  Fortunately it was only rainy one day and misty another.  It is generally overcast though.   As I walk the river paths, I saw goose families out for their morning forage.  I got “honked” at but they are only being cautious and protective of their littles.  The littles are of varying ages.





I know that you already know that I love trees.   The pines come in all shapes and sizes.  Here are just a few different ones.






This magnolia liliiflora tree is just outside my front door.  




This trees is beside the office.  I noticed the mistletoe in it this week.  Then I began to look and I see mistletoe in many trees.




Here are some miscellaneous pics of my week.

My favorite salad dinner





These silly turkeys strut their stuff right out into the road.  They are fearless!!


I think of you often and I pray that you will have a good coming week and that you will know that our Savior and Heavenly Father love you. 

I love you my dear family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment