Monday, April 17, 2023

I love to go walking.



Sister Klaass walked with me Saturday morning


I have been able to walk every morning this week except I don’t walk on Sunday.  I walked the streets around my apartment on two mornings but I have found that I like the walks and paths along the river more.  It is about a 10-15 minute drive to the river/ponds but it is worth it.  The exercise keeps me flexible and moving so it is a must!





My reminder to slow down!


My neighborhood walking buddies





Looking through the trees down over Eugene



Down by the river



Friday morning sunrise





I found my family street!!  (My maiden name is Terry)

Monday morning I was told that my new apartment would be ready to move into on Wednesday.  However, during the week staying in the apartment where Sister Cornia had lived, I grew fond of the area and the apartment, so I asked President Weekes if I might stay where I was and let the new incoming senior couple have the apartment that had been arranged for me instead of looking for yet another apartment.  He agreed, so Monday afternoon, I unloaded my car into the apartment and began putting things in place.  I finished the move-in Tuesday afternoon.  It is quite cozy and comfortable.

Family pictures and a fire in the fireplace on a rainy,
cold morning make for a homey atmosphere


 It has been a fairly quiet week as the mission nurse. (Next week is transfers and I have found that the week or two before transfers, things are most quiet on the home front.)   I have had a few calls from missionaries who needed advice and help:  a bicycle accident, a couple of colds, headaches, stomach issues, medications, etc.  It makes me happy to be able to help in some way.  For the most part, the missionaries try to be self-sufficient but I am glad I am available when they need to talk or ask a question or two.  I have been able to meet a few of the missionaries in person as they come into the office from time to time.  That is the biggest reason I go to the office to work instead of working from home.  

Thursday I went with Sister Klaass to help move some supplies and things into the apartment where the new senior couple will be living.  We took dishes, pans, lamps, wall hangings, cleaning supplies to get them started, etc.  As I said previously, it was to have been my apartment.  It is very nice but after being there for an hour or so, I am happy I chose to stay where I am. 

Saturday evening, I invited Elder and Sister Klaass to come to dinner.  I made stew and cornbread.  After dinner we played Phase10.  Fun evening!



I was able to meet a few more people today at Church.  The first week I was here, it was conference so no church.  Last week was Easter and there were no classes so mostly in and out without much time to visit.  It was nice meeting some of the members.



This week I have had cause to think about the important people in my life.  I can’t help but realize how blessed I am in so many ways.  I am very grateful for a loving and supportive family and for the friends at home and here on the mission who encourage and support me.  Feelings of gratitude make me happy.

When missionaries are struggling, I often remind them to be grateful.  I’m not positive where I got all of this information but I like it:

Gratitude changes perspective—it can sweep away most of the day-to-day trials on which we often focus so much of our attention and increase feelings of well-being, and prompt mindful awareness of that which is beyond oneself—of belonging to a greater whole, and of connection to others, as well as to the world.

Over the past decade, numerous scientific studies have documented a wide range of benefits that come with gratitude. These are available to anyone who practices being grateful, even in the midst of adversity, such as elderly people confronting death, those with cancer, people with chronic illness or chronic pain, and those in recovery from addiction. Research-based reasons for practicing gratitude include:

•    Gratitude facilitates contentment. Practicing gratitude is one of the most reliable methods for increasing contentment and life satisfaction. It also improves mood by enhancing feelings of optimism, joy, pleasure, enthusiasm, and other positive emotions. Conversely, gratitude also reduces anxiety and depression.

•    Gratitude promotes physical health. Studies suggest gratitude helps to lower blood pressure, strengthen the immune system, reduce symptoms of illness, and make us less bothered by aches and pains. 

•    Gratitude enhances sleep. Grateful people tend to get more sleep each night, spend less time awake before falling asleep, and feel more rested upon awakening. If you want to sleep more soundly, instead of counting sheep count your blessings.

•    Gratitude strengthens relationships. It makes us feel closer and more connected to friends and intimate partners. When partners feel and express gratitude for each other, they each become more satisfied with their relationship. 

•    Gratitude encourages “paying it forward.” Grateful people are generally more helpful, generous of spirit, and compassionate. These qualities often spill over onto others.

Two specific ways you can practice the skill of being grateful are by writing gratitude letters and making gratitude lists. A gratitude letter is one you write to someone in your life to express appreciation for ways they have helped you and/or been there for you. Gratitude letters can be about events that have happened in the past or are happening in the present, and often help to strengthen or repair relationships. A gratitude list consists of writing down 3 – 5 things for which you’re grateful every day.

I like to sing the hymn Count Your Blessings (Aaronic Priesthood Choir 2019)

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.

So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

I pray that you feel gratitude in your life. I encourage you to write a gratitude letter and to make a list every day of the things for which you are grateful.

I am grateful for my family. I am grateful for my Savior. I am grateful to live in this beautiful world. I am grateful for my body and spirit. I am grateful for good friends. I am grateful for my good health. I am grateful for eyes to see. I am grateful for technology.

Have a great week.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment