Monday, November 16, 2020

Look who I met at the Sculptureum!

Just me and Mark Twain

It has been a fairly normal week highlighted on Saturday by an outing with the senior missionaries in my mission.  We met at a park in Port Wells for a picnic lunch.

Elder and Sister Burton, Elder and Sister Lewis, Sister and Elder Barnes, and Sister Robinson

Then we headed to Sculptureum where we spent a couple of pleasant hours touring the three art-filled gardens and six galleries.  From the website:   “The six galleries display contemporary works by some of the world’s best glass artists; works by Cezanne, Chagall, Rodin and others; animal sculptures by artists from all over the world; and contemporary works in plastic and other materials. The jewel in the collection at Sculptureum is a large chandelier by the famous American glass artist Dale Chihuly. It is the most substantial work of glass art on public display in Australasia.

More than 150 exhibits and some 400 works fill The Garden of Creative Diversity, The Palm Garden and The Pink Snail Garden.

The gardens burst with colourful plantings, designed to change with the seasons. Works on display start with imposing prehistoric rocks, whose patterns and shapes have been formed over millions of years. The winding paths then lead guests through a wide variety of contemporary works in glass, metal and other materials.

Sculptureum considers animals as living sculptures, with exotic birds living in five aviaries dotted across the property.”

I had fun taking pictures so once again you will experience “picture overload” because I couldn’t decide what to delete and what to share so I pretty much shared all.

Sister Robinson






















The gardens were peaceful, green, and beautiful.  We all admired the whirligig.

Throughout the park there were thoughts on signs




Even the green leaves are spectacular!

Me and COVID-19

Now from the indoor galleries















Now back to another outdoor garden 



















After leaving Sculptureum, we stopped at Charlie’s Gelato for a treat on our way to Omaha Beach.  It was such a clear, absolutely gorgeous day.  I had walked Takapuna Beach before going on the outing but I can never get too much beach time!

I found a bottle on Takapuna beach at sunrise.  Try as I might, I couldn’t\
find a genie nor a note in the bottle but it was beautiful in the sunlight anyway.

Omaha Beach





Had a health council meeting this week and a few doctor’s appointments with missionaries.  As always, being with the missionaries is one of my favorite parts/blessings of my mission.  Next week will be transfers and new missionary orientation, so I have that to look forward to enjoying.

I have had people ask me how I can leave my family to go on missions.  It is difficult.  I miss my family and the time that I spend with them.  I miss seeing them and hugging them and watching them grow and change.  I miss the dates with my grandchildren and the time to sit and visit with my daughters and sons and that includes my daughters and sons gifted to me through marriage.  I miss traveling with them and eating meals with them. I miss celebrating special occasions and accomplishments.  I look forward to doing all of these things again.

However, I have found that I cherish the time I spend in the mission field and the closeness to the Spirit.  It is a special feeling living the life of a missionary and having the time to spend immersed in the scriptures and thinking so much about the Savior.

I can do those things at home, but to be honest, I think I am not disciplined enough or something.  I get involved in the day to day activities of living so scripture study and learning get done but not to the extent that it does in the mission field.  

As I studied the Book of Mormon and the Come Follow Me lesson this week, I thought a lot about the brother of Jared and his experiences.   When Jared, his brother, their families and friends were prepared as directed by the Lord, they left the valley of Nimrod and started their journey to the Promised Land.

In Ether 2 it says:

5 And it came to pass that the Lord commanded them that they should go forth into the wilderness, yea, into that quarter where there never had man been. And it came to pass that the Lord did go before them, and did talk with them as he stood in a cloud, and gave directions whither they should travel.

6 And it came to pass that they did travel in the wilderness, and did build barges, in which they did cross many waters, being directed continually by the hand of the Lord.

The Lord tells the brother of Jared about the Promised Land and then goes on in verse 13:

13 And now I proceed with my record; for behold, it came to pass that the Lord did bring Jared and his brethren forth even to that great sea which divideth the lands. And as they came to the sea they pitched their tents; and they called the name of the place Moriancumer; and they dwelt in tents, and dwelt in tents upon the seashore for the space of four years.

14 And it came to pass at the end of four years that the Lord came again unto the brother of Jared, and stood in a cloud and talked with him. And for the space of three hours did the Lord talk with the brother of Jared, and chastened him because he remembered not to call upon the name of the Lord.”

I read in these verses that the Lord guided the people step by step through the wilderness to the seashore where they were to prepare to cross the great sea that divided the lands.  Instead of preparing for the journey though, they settled in for 4 years.  

I really don’t think that Jared and his brother forgot the Lord but they didn’t call on Him nor seek to progress.  They became stagnant and lackadaisical.

I relate that to me and my missions.  I loved serving my mission in New York City.  When I was released, I felt a void.  I was happy and excited to be at home with my family and friends.  I got busy and into family and activities of life.

Now that I am serving in New Zealand and have thought about the “void” I felt when I was released from my first mission, I recognize that it was because I wasn’t feeling the guidance and Spirit that I had daily felt while in the mission field.  I treasure the time and commitment I have here in the mission field to study the scriptures and to be in a place in my mind that I can be directed to do the Lord’s work.  I value the guidance I receive in helping the missionaries. 

I am going to be released from this current mission in April.  I am committing myself now to continue to study and pray and to place myself in situations where I can be guided to serve and help others.  

It is so easy to put off scripture study and prayer.  It is easy not go to Church and to the Temple.  It is easy not to find ways to serve.  But I testify that it is easier to do all of these things with the guidance and mercy of our Savior.  If we will do all we can in our power to progress and move forward, then call upon the Lord, he will make up the difference.  We can be close to the Lord through prayer, scripture study, and service.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

Just another thought



No comments:

Post a Comment