Monday, November 9, 2020

Another quiet week in Takapuna.


I have attended appointments with missionaries and completed all of the physicals and medical requirements for them to get visa extensions this week.  Had some dental appointments to go to with missionaries and a couple of regular office visits.  I need to attend these appointments with the missionaries to make sure that there are no insurance hang-ups and so that I will be aware of what medications and treatments are prescribed.

The part of this that I enjoy so much is being with the missionaries.  Love them more by the day!

Because I had a missionary in the hospital this week, I haven’t walked the beach every day.  The days I get that opportunity bring much joy.  On Thursday, it was raining heavily with high winds but Sister Lucas and I chose to put on our rain gear and go anyway.  

Here is a report on the news about the Harbor Bridge:

“The Transport Agency says trucks, vans and motorbikes should avoid the bridge and plan to use the Western Ring route on State Highways 16 and 18 because of heavy rain and high winds.

It says wind gusts of between 80 to 90 km/h are expected from 8am, which could strengthen from the early afternoon to approach severe gale levels up to 100 km/h through until 8pm.

Gale force winds on 18 September blew a shipping container truck sideways into a strut on the bridge, causing serious damage. Major repairs were needed that resulted in traffic disruption for several weeks.

The gust hit as winds suddenly intensified from 60kph to up to 127kph in a matter of minutes, MetService said after the crash.

The Transport Agency said it won't hesitate to close the bridge tomorrow, if it is necessary.”

I don’t know if it was gale levels while we walked but I can tell you it took some effort when walking into the wind.

In this video we were up against the wall at the south end of Takapuna Beach so we were sheltered a bit from the wind and rain.


We had to walk later in the day on some of the days because of some early morning appointments so here are some pics with a range of clouds and blue sky.






I like to look into the tidal pools to see what I might find.  Didn’t find anything this week but the pools and rocks are beautiful. 



Friday morning the rain drops from the day before were still heavy on the trees and flowers.


I get a lot of the beautiful pictures of flowers from a garden (yard) that we walk by on our way to the beach.  The garden was lush after the rain.





After a storm, there is always a lot of seaweed on the shore.  I often see people gathering it for their gardens.


The man’s black bag is full of seaweed

“Seaweed comes free to anyone with access to a beach where ‘beach-cast’ seaweed – that has become dislodged from its hold on rocks and reefs – is washed up on the tide.

Seaweed is packed with micro-nutrients and natural plant hormones, it is also full of carbohydrates which are both good for plants and the essential micro-organisms that help form a healthy soil.

Use seaweed for soil enriching, conditioning and mulching or as a pre-planting pep-up. Particularly useful in autumn, winter and early spring soil preparation for new plantings but generally used all year round whenever it is available.”

Some of the things I read in this article interested me because every year we grew a large vegetable garden:

“Add chopped up seaweed to individual planting holes (maybe a handful or two in most cases) when planting the likes of rhubarb, globe artichoke, zucchini, melon, tomato and other hungry high producers – just mix in with soil at the bottom of the planting hole.

Seaweed is also good for lining the bottom of trenches when planting potatoes.

Chopped up seaweed can also be dug deeply into soil to help improve its structure and to store nutrients for deep rooted vegetables like parsnip, beetroot, carrot, turnip.”

My Korean neighbor next door has a great garden.  He has flowering plants at the entrance to his home and a fruit/vegetable garden on the patio.  Last summer I enjoyed some peppers and other vegetables his wife gave to me.  He has just started planting the vegetable garden in the pots.  Within a couple of months it will be a full-fledged potted garden.  




Last Sunday at church I overheard some ladies commenting about the delicious smelling lilac tree in front of the building.  With the windows of the chapel open, I could smell the sweet blossoms.  It didn’t smell exactly like the lilacs that I know from home in Utah.  I went to inspect the tree later in the week.

Here is what I found.





I mentioned that I spent a few days at the hospital this week.  Middlemore Hospital in South Auckland is near an open park like area.  When I walked to my car, I was approached by a couple of beggars looking for a hand out.  Unfortunately, I had nothing to offer.  I was amazed at how close they came to me.


Nearby was another bird.  It was quite striking in appearance.  



“The Australian magpie is a medium-sized black and white passerine bird native to Australia and southern New Guinea. Members of two subspecies groups, black-backed and white-backed magpies, were introduced into New Zealand to control pests in pastures but have themselves become an invasive species. The birds can be aggressive and commonly attack humans and occasionally native birds. Cyclists can also be attacked, especially during nesting season of the bird.”

The bird was in no way aggressive even though I was fairly close but it was not shy either.

Earlier I mentioned being in the hospital with a missionary.  Middlemore Hospital is a large hospital in South Auckland. It is an interesting eating experience at this hospital.  Of the hospitals in New Zealand that I have been in, this hospital offers the best food for the public.  They have a food court similar to a mall with 5-6 different vendors plus a Subway franchise.  There is everything from sushi to salads to burgers and sides.  

I chose a panini of chicken breast, cranberry with brie.  It was quite tasty.  

Showcase of some of the possibilities of choices at one vendor



Monday evening I was invited to attend a farewell FHE for 4 couples leaving the Pacific Area Office and the New Zealand Auckland Mission.   It was a simulated flight/take-off.  The chairs were arranged as the seats in an airliner.  We had a light dinner and then a video of pictures for each couple was shown, each couple shared thoughts and feelings, and there was midflight entertainment.

Elder and Sister Burton

Elder and Sister Gubler

Elder and Sister McMurray

Elder and Sister Walker




As we celebrate our veterans this week, I want to share a photo and poem written by my cousin.

Photo at-Cold Water Canyon, Ogden, Utah 

 America’s Treasure Chest (C)

America is a choice land above all others, blessed by God 
and set aside for those with vision and perseverance.

This nation has a treasure chest full of jewels and
precious gems, so full it can hardly contain them all.

This great country has a treasure trove of people and icons
that have made this country so great. They are: Our Declaration 
of independence, the Constitution, The Bill of Rights, the
national anthem, Old Glory which has led this nation’s solders into battle 
for which we proudly stand and salute and honor those injured or fallen,
The mighty Bald Eagle which flies freely above our free land.

Our national parks and monuments that have been set aside for 
the enjoyment of all those who visit and admire their grandeur.

The coins we place in our pockets that bare the words

 IN GOD WE TRUST 
and trust in God we must.

All these gems fill the nation’s treasure chest to overflowing but many
of the precious jewels and gems are the first responders who risk 
their lives daily to save those in danger.

Most of all, the military. 
As we celebrate Veteran’s Day, we honor our
 veterans who sacrificed and gave so much to insure our freedoms. 
They are the ones who will always be the most precious jewels and gems
in America’s Treasure Chest. 

Steve Bailey 2020

I love our country.  I am blessed to be a citizen of the United States of America.  I honor those who have fought for my country and for freedom for all.  I am grateful for my father who fought in WWII.



I pray that we will all be united in love for our country and what it stands for.  

I wish you a happy, healthy, and safe week.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment