Monday, November 23, 2020

It was my birthday this week!


I love my family and friends and the way that they celebrated another year with me.  I received numerous kind thoughts and best wishes and I am overwhelmed with the love that I feel from all of you. I received texts, calls, FaceBook messages and email wishes along with singing in Tongan, Samoan, Kiribatian and Maori.  I am so blessed!!!

I had dinner on Monday night with two sweet sisters and Sister Lucas.  We ate at a steak house. 

Sisters Sione, Nathan-Nga, Lucas

They were trying to teach me how to do this Maori facial expression but
I can’t open my eyes that wide.  My eyelids are too droopy!

I had fajitas

Cute story to share:    When my youngest son, David, was in elementary school, I was a “room mother” meaning that I went to the school to help with parties or other activities in David’s class.  One day after I had been in his classroom, he came home from school and advised me that I was the “oldest mother in the school.”   I am not sure if I winced or laughed as I really thought it was quite funny, but somehow David must have thought that he had hurt my feelings.  Maybe one of his older siblings suggested that to him.  But he soon came back to me and told me that I really looked like I was just 16 years old.  Ever after that, I am always reminded that I am really only 16 years old.

I told this story to the two sisters at dinner. 

On Tuesday for my birthday, I received this card.

Word must have gotten around the mission because
I received this cake from some different sisters.


Also on Tuesday, I was invited to dinner with a good friend.  We ate at a Casablanca, Mediterranean restaurant in Orewa which is about 45 minutes north of Takapuna where I live.

We started the meal by sharing this tray of dips, salads, olives, falafels and pide bread.

My dinner was Cherkez Chicken:  Chicken with creamy walnut tarator,
paprika oil, rice and seasonal salad.

Wednesday evening, I was treated to Thai dinner with Sister and Elder Mayberry and Sister Lucas with ice cream for dessert.

 I ate a spicy steak Thai salad at Talay Thai.

Coconut Swiss chocolate swirl ice cream at Movenpick Ice Cream Shop

I received chocolate, a colorful New Zealand towel, flowers and all kinds of treats.  I am truly spoiled!!  Thank you to all for remembering me.




The first of part of the week was busy with dental and doctor appointments with missionaries.  The last part of the week was less busy so I have been working on preparation for next week’s zone conferences and transfers/orientation of new missionaries.

On Monday I visited a friend in my ward, Saras, who is from Fiji.  Her family/ancestors came to Fiji from India.  We had a good visit and she sent me off with some delicious treats she had prepared for me.  


Last week my niece, Alicia, and her husband, Matt, and their daughters, Aspen, Brooke and Callie sent me a box of souvenirs, hand written/made cards and food from Tokyo where they live.  I now have my very own set of chopsticks and I have thoroughly enjoyed the candy and goodies they sent.  I’m going to visit them after my mission as soon as we can freely travel the world again.


The weather has been great.  The beach walks continue.  We are going earlier in the mornings to be on the beach for sunrise.  That means that we are now leaving our apartment complex at 5:15.  I didn’t ever consider myself to be a “morning” person but I’m finding that the early morning before traffic gets hectic and the streets are noisy, I can enjoy the songs of the birds and the cool quiet of the day.  I may be converted to this early morning ritual.   

All my life I’ve been a night person.  I enjoyed staying up late after everyone went to bed so that the house and world were quiet and I could do the things that I wanted to do and needed to do without interruption.  Hmmm….  I guess change is good.  Now I go to bed early and get up early.  I think I like it!

Monday morning the clouds were pink over land and sea

Tuesday morning the sky was golden with grayer clouds


Wednesday morning

Thursday morning

Friday morning   peeking sun

The sun “pouring” over the horizon

Saturday morning

It is amazing to me how different each morning can be.  The tide, clouds, and sunrise make each day unique.

Pohutukawa tree in bloom on the beach.
Jasmine flowers blooming along the foot paths make the whole area smell fragrant



One of my favorite colors

I’m grateful for the message to the world given by our prophet, President Nelson, on Saturday morning.  I am grateful for my family, my parents, my ancestors, my Savior, the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, the scriptures, inspired church leaders, missionaries, and this beautiful world.  The list is endless!  Everything I have comes to me as gifts from a loving Father in Heaven.

I love my Savior.   I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment