Monday, August 31, 2020

It has been a beautiful week in Takapuna.


The weather has been more spring-like with temperatures warming and fewer days of rain.  The beach has been at low tide all week and with the lack of storms, it was quiet and peaceful.  Quite a contrast to last week’s high tides, crashing waves, and wet feet.   We have started going a half hour earlier as the days grow longer.  Sister Lucas, my walking partner, and I leave our flats now at 6:00 A.M. in order to see the sun rise and to avoid walking to the beach with the sun in our eyes.












There were 2 fishermen on the beach.  First time I’ve seen people fishing
from the shore at Takapuna Beach.  One of them had just caught a snapper.


Another first this week on the beach was watching a man
propose marriage.  Look at his big smile!


Even though we didn’t get more than just a few sprinkles,
we saw rainbows a couple of mornings.

With a pano pic I was able to get both ends of this bow

We are still in “lockdown” of a sort.  We were at level 3 which meant stay at home except for exercise or necessary outings such as grocery shopping.  Doctor’s offices were only making appointments for digital visits via phone or video but I believe that we will be able to go to the doctor for scheduled appointments now, so I will be more busy this next week making and attending some dental and doctor appointments.  Monday we moved to level 2.5 in Auckland while the rest of the country remains at level 2.  At 2.5, the number of people allowed at gatherings will remain at 10.  I believe that work places will reopen but all are encouraged to wear masks.   We may again travel around the country maintaining physical distancing and of course wearing masks.  

As I did dishes one afternoon, I noticed a feeding frenzy on my patio.


I had a pleasant experience on Thursday morning.  Two sisters called me.  They told me that they wanted to give me a gift and share their testimonies with me.  They did that by singing a beautiful rendition of the hymn, I Know that My Redeemer Lives.  Of course, with the beginning notes of the hymn, I immediately turned into a bucket of tears.  Oh my!  My heart overflowed.  Listening to them bear their testimonies through music was indeed a gift to me.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives is a favorite hymn.  Here are the words:

1. I know that my Redeemer lives.
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, he lives, who once was dead.
He lives, my ever-living Head.
He lives to bless me with his love.
He lives to plead for me above.
He lives my hungry soul to feed.
He lives to bless in time of need.

2. He lives to grant me rich supply.
He lives to guide me with his eye.
He lives to comfort me when faint.
He lives to hear my soul's complaint.
He lives to silence all my fears.
He lives to wipe away my tears.
He lives to calm my troubled heart.
He lives all blessings to impart.

3. He lives, my kind, wise heav'nly Friend.
He lives and loves me to the end.
He lives, and while he lives, I'll sing.
He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King.
He lives and grants me daily breath.
He lives, and I shall conquer death.
He lives my mansion to prepare.
He lives to bring me safely there.

4. He lives! All glory to his name!
He lives, my Savior, still the same.
Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:
"I know that my Redeemer lives!"
He lives! All glory to his name!
He lives, my Savior, still the same.
Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:
"I know that my Redeemer lives!"

The lines, “Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:  I know that my Redeemer lives!” caused me to think about how much I love my Savior and appreciate that He atoned for my sins, gave His life for me, and was resurrected that I might live again.  This truly brings me joy.  

As I pondered these thoughts I began to reflect on the many joys that I experience in my life.  With the world in turmoil and experiencing COVID, it may sometimes seem hard to find the joy in life.  My life is easy.  I think of the poor, hungry, sick, and dying and wonder what joy they are finding in life.  

I recently read a BYU Devotional talk given in 2004 by Elaine S. Marshall, who at the time, was dean of the BYU College of Nursing, titled In This Life I Shall Have Joy.  She began the address in such a way that I was immediately caught up in the talk. 

She says: 

“I have learned that, regardless of circumstance, for some people there is no joy; for others there is only joy. Some of us experience catastrophe in our lives; others create catastrophe in our lives. For some, there are a few bad days; for others there are only bad days.

This week I was reminded of one of those Mudville days. (Previously in the talk, she mentioned the poem, Casey at the Bat---hence the reference to Mudville.) Honestly, I don’t remember if all of these things happened on the same day—they all blur together in a fog on the joyless treadmill. But they really happened in proximity close enough to count as a bad day. I had finished long hours at work with a steady stream of student problems, faculty conflicts, and overdue reports. At home kids needed help with school problems, friend problems, and romance problems. We were living in our basement, ten months into a six-week remodeling project. We were out of cat food, so the cat was mad. But we were also out of what my son calls “human food,” so the cat had to get in line. I mistakenly dropped a tax-refund check in the trash, which had gone to the street for the next day’s collection, so the neighbors got to watch me rummage through my own garbage like a vagrant bag lady. Then, at the worst moment, the right front tire on my car was flat to the rim.

Sometime during all this, I made some soup for a family in our neighborhood. It was now after 10 at night, but I decided this was the only time I could deliver my pot of compassionate service. I convinced my husband that he should help me take it to a family where the father was very ill. I knew someone would still be up. So I held the soup in my lap while my husband drove the car, with the tire now repaired by AAA. (You think I am going to say that I spilled the soup, don’t you? Well, I didn’t! For this talk, there has to be some joy in the story.) I tiptoed to the porch and nudged my shoulder against the front door and knocked gently. I cautioned my husband to be quiet, thinking that a quiet interruption in the middle of the night somehow was more like charity.

From inside I thought I heard the doorbell ring and chided my husband, “I told you, don’t ring the doorbell!” Then I heard it again. “Stop it,” I said. He just looked at me with a blank face. I thought I could hear the doorbell ringing again and again. Finally, the granddaughter came to the door. “Hi,” I whispered. “Sorry we are so late; we won’t come in. We just wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you. I hope we didn’t disturb you.”

“Thank you,” she said patiently, as she nudged me away in what I thought was going to be hug. As she pushed, she said, “You are leaning on the doorbell!” It was the end of a perfect day according to my personal mission statement.”

This talk made me laugh and gave me some insightful thoughts about finding joy in life.  Sister Marshall goes on to say:

“Are there days when you feel like joy is a doctrine that pertains only to the hereafter? How do we sustain a joyful life? How does one live every day joyfully and keep any semblance of sanity? I have discovered a few principles of finding joy.”

I will briefly list the principles Sister Marshall goes on to define:

“Joy is an act of courage.  First, to live joyfully you must be brave. True joy is not for the fainthearted. You must decide to be happy. Joy will not abide until you make a conscious decision to treasure it.

After you find the courage to make a decision for joy, the next step is to be grateful. Gratitude is the gateway to joy.

Even in the face of such daily joys, some of us suffer chronic sorrow or anger toward others who have hurt us. Joy requires forgiveness.

It is not enough simply to forgive others. Joy requires that we take the next step to serve others.

In order to know joy, you have to be there. Joy requires presence.

The message of the Atonement is a message of joy. Our Savior knows our suffering. He took upon Himself our suffering that we might have joy. Joy is life. To have joy is to live life fully.”

I hope that you will read the talk so that you may learn about each of the above principles as Sister Marshall defines them to a fuller extent.

This week I celebrated my mother’s 103 birthday.  She was a great mother and taught me much about cooking and living.  She was a hard working woman who served her family and the Lord to the best of her ability.  I love you Mom.


Mushrooms growing along the foot path

I’m trying to eat a more healthy diet.



Eat some chocolate and have a happy, healthy week full of joy.  

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment