Monday, August 17, 2020

I think I have done this before.


Once again we are in “lockdown” due to COVID.  We were notified on Tuesday that with 4 community spread cases of COVID, level alert 3 would go into effect at noon on Wednesday to last through Friday  night at midnight in Auckland.  Friday, the lockdown was extended through 26th August because of other probable cases and to more clearly define the cluster of cases. 

In this level of alert, all stores, restaurants, bars, etc are closed except for essential businesses such as grocery stores and pharmacies/medical places.  Physical distancing of 2 meters except within one's “bubble” (family).  Crowds limited to 10 people so church has been canceled again.  This time we are asked to wear masks when in confined public places.  We are asked to stay in our homes and work from home and not to travel out of our area.  We can go out for exercise keeping physical distancing.

People waiting to get into Countdown, the grocery store near me.
Limited people allowed in the store at one time to help
people maintain 2 meter physical distancing.


The rest of the country is in alert level 2, so a little less restrictive.  I really don’t mind this lockdown, and in fact appreciate it, as it has helped to reduce the number of illnesses and deaths in this country.  

I had a full week of appointments scheduled so my week suddenly became quieter.  I had a Health Council meeting with the area doctor, Elder Mayberry, the area mental health advisor, Sister Lucas, and President and Sister Parr on Tuesday morning after which I headed straight out to go to an appointment in Whangarei.  The 2 hour drive each way was pleasant.  It rained all the way there but the drive home in the late afternoon was gorgeous.  The angle of the setting sun made the green, grassy hills, wet from the rain look amazingly green.  No words can describe it and since I was driving, I have no pictures.

I have taken a few calls and helped with missionary illnesses but on the whole, even the phone calls and texts have decreased.

I have had my daily exercise enjoying the fresh air, watching the sunrise and admiring the flowers along the footpath.



August 16th is a special day in my life as I celebrate the birth of my eternal companion, Reed Kay Petersen (Kay).  He was born in 1941 so this would have been his 79th birthday.  He always told people that he was born in the Kennecott Copper Mine pit.  That would elicit questions such as:  “Why were you born there?”  To which he would reply:  “Because my mother was there.”

He was such a tease!  His father worked at Kennecott so when his mother was to deliver, she was taken to the hospital close to the mine.  He told me that the hospital and surrounding area had been demolished as the pit expanded, so he claimed to have been born “in the pit.”   

Wasn’t he a cute little guy!


Here is Kay with his sister Mignon.


Here he is with an uncle.  I believe his name was Dr. George Smart 

Here Kay is sitting next to his grandfather.
Directly behind Kay is his Uncle Sid.
Beside Sid is Kay’s father, Reed


He graduated from East High School in 1959.  He moved to Las Vegas to live with his sister after graduation.  He served a mission in Uruguay.  Upon returning, he worked on the Union Pacific Railroad on a construction gang laying and repairing tracks and bridges and as a fireman on the Las Vegas Fire Department for a time before returning to Utah to go to school.  He graduated from the University of Utah with a bachelor degree and from Westminster College with his masters.  He had finished his course work at BYU working on his doctorate but never finished his dissertation.  He got too busy with his work and family to focus on finishing his degree.  

He was an excellent teacher and administrator.  He taught at community schools and at Clearfield Job Corp helping students gain their GED or secondary diploma.  He was vice-principal at Clayton Middle School, vice-principal at East High School, principal at Clayton and then principal at East High where he finished his career.  

He had a remarkable talent in that he could remember names.  It always amazed me that I could walk down the halls of the school with him and he could say hello to every student and call them by name.  He was an advocate for all students regardless of color, creed, gender orientation, and whether they were obedient or mischievous.  

He loved the youth and supported them in every way possible.  He never missed a game, dance, play or activity.

He received the Huntsman Education Award in 1996.  Winners are invited to an awards banquet for past and current honorees, where they receive a crystal obelisk and a check for $10,000. The object of the awards is to celebrate individuals who have made unique contributions to the lives and education of Utah’s public schoolchildren.  These awards are considered to be among the most prestigious honors for individual educators in the state of Utah.  I am most proud of Kay and his accomplishments.


We were married September 1, 1967.  He was the best husband I could have ever chosen.  Our lives were full of the normal ups and downs of raising children, making a home, and earning a living but he always put me first.  He opened doors, brought little gifts, and always wanted me to be with him.  He never went anywhere without me.  I was included in fishing, hunting, camping, trips/travel, and always in making decisions regarding our relationship and family.

He was a wonderful father even though he realized in later years that he had missed a lot of his own children’s activities by being so involved in the activities of the schools where he worked.   He loved each of his children and grandchildren and provided for all of us.  


I’m not positive but I believe that this family picture was taken fall 2012.


I could go on forever telling about this wonderful friend, husband, companion, and soul mate but just know that I am blessed to have been able to spend so many years in his company.  He passed away due to cancer on September 25, 2013.  I know he is waiting to greet me one day.  Happy Birthday Kay.


This week in studying the Come Follow Me chapters and reading about the 2000 stripling warriors, I’ve come to realize what it is that gives me such joy in serving missions and being with the young missionaries.  I think that my husband felt the same about the students with whom he worked.  In Alma 56:15-17, we learn that Helaman and his band of young men arrived in Judea where they found Antipus and his men toiling with their might to fortify the city.  We read that Antipus and his men were depressed in body as well as in spirit because they had fought battles by day and worked all night to maintain the cities.  They had suffered great afflictions of every kind but they were determined to conquer or die.  

When they saw Helaman arrive with his 2000 “little sons”, it gave Antipus and his men great hopes and much joy.

Reading this and listening to commentaries about these chapters, has made me realize that working with and being around the younger generation gives me “great hope and much joy.”  These young spirits have enthusiasm for life, ambition and a desire to do good.   I’m sure that Kay felt this as well.  

Sunday morning Elder and Sister Mayberry and Sister Lucas came to my flat for Sunday morning “services.”  Elder Mayberry blessed and passed the sacrament and then we had a discussion about faith.  What an honor and a blessing for me to have these people as my friends and support.

Sunday lunch – salad and salmon


Sunday afternoon I was talking to Jim, Jenna and Ellie when the alarm went off and the building was evacuated.  Don’t know why the alarm sounded but we were only out for maybe 30 minutes before we could return to our flats.


Sunday evening I had a pancake dinner with the Mayberrys.

Even with lockdown I have kept busy although without lockdown, I would have been to more appointments and another trip to Whangarei on Thursday.  I pray that all of you will stay well and safe. Be cautious, wear masks when needed and wash your hands frequently!

I love my Savior and I love you my family and friends. 



 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment