Monday, November 2, 2015

Thinking of Kay, Grand Central Station & Halloween!

This has been a mixed week of busy and not so busy days. 

I'm still encouraging the missionaries to get their flu vaccines so I attended a zone training meeting held a little more than half way out on Long Island. It was a cloudy, windy and rainy day with heavy rain predicted. 

Joan, my GPS, advised me that it would be a 58 minute drive. With the weather I wanted to make sure I wasn't late so I left a little ahead of schedule. I was WAY early in fact. 

I pass through this park when I go to Richmond.
Grateful for good gas mileage.
Jamaica Street in Queens.
The street I turned off the expressway onto was named Ocean Street.  With a little time on my hands, I decided it was going the correct direction to find the Atlantic. The island is not too wide at that point so I figured it wouldn't be far. I found a park/dock where I watched the waves crash against the wall and wished I could have my dear friends and family there to watch with me. Then we would go to lunch. (After the zone meeting of course.)

Calmer side of the dock.
Rougher side.
Waves crashing against the wall.
One of the houses on Patchogue I liked.

I found a Savers out on the island. If it hadn't been so stormy I'd have paid a visit.

Saw this little guy between some houses. He was carrying something in his mouth.
He carried whatever it was up on the electric meter.

I have had days when the work has been steady. I've had a couple of days with not so many calls or missionaries to care for. On those quieter days I've taken the opportunity to reflect on a few things.

There are homeless people on the sidewalks here (not nearly as many as you see in Manhattan) with signs asking for money/help. It makes me think of Kay. He always gave money to people standing on the corner asking for help. He felt that he could not judge why those people were asking for nor what they would do with the money. His obligation was to help those in need.

Since I've been alone, I've always tried to do the same in memory of Kay and because I feel the same as he did. Anyway, I don't carry cash here as a rule so it saddens me to walk past those who are begging. I think I might try to carry a few dollars in my bag from now on. (However, when I talked with one of the mission secretaries I walk with, she said that the mission discourages giving to people on the streets. Others watching may target you as carrying money.  So maybe I'll ponder it a little more.)

I also think often of how much Kay would enjoy being here teaching the Gospel and interacting with these wonderful missionaries. He would be awesome.

I read an Ensign article about the spirit world: 


It made me realize how close Kay is to me. I believe he is here with me but in another sphere unseen by me. I also studied a conference address given in October 1998 by President Russell M Nelson. Not sure which session but it is entitled:


It is fascinating to me the facts he presents about our bodies and spirits.

At orientation for new missionaries, I am to explain my job and how it works and also I am to prepare handouts and a first aid kit. The kit includes band aides, hand sanitizer, ace wrap, etc. Just a few things for tiny emergencies until they can get their own supplies. This week I've been assembling the kits. Orientation is on the 4th. 16 new missionaries this go round.

Saturday my walking partner and one of the mission secretaries, Sister Prince, and I went to Grand Central Station to the train museum. We had lunch and then home. 

Sister Prince from Austin Texas
Panorama of the main hall in the station
Domed ceiling in the station.
Beautiful!
Destination boards.
Halls in the station.
Track 30. You can see a train beyond the man.

Had pad Thai for lunch. Mmmm!
Cannoli?  Cheesecake? So hard to choose!!
Cheesecake? Cannoli? Cheesecake won this time. It got a bit squished on the train ride home but that didn't
affect the flavor one iota. It was delicious. Cannoli next time. Or maybe I'll be evil and have them both.
I worked on weekly reports (for the mission president and one for the area medical advisor) before the sister missionaries who live upstairs came for dinner and to carve a jack-o-lantern out of the pumpkin I had on the front steps. They brought me some zebra ears which I wore as my costume.  The sister from Mongolia had never experienced an American Halloween.  I had taco soup for dinner and they brought grapes and cream cheese so I could teach them how to make “Celestial Grape Salad”.  They love it!!  All of the missionaries had to be in their apartments by 6:00 Halloween night.

Sister Hammarstrom from California.
Sister Batsurri from Mongolia. She made the grape salad.
Silly sisters!
The Jack-o-lantern.
Sunday night the Spanish teaching missionary sisters came for dinner.  I love the missionaries!  Have I told you that enough already??
Sister Maddox is from Bountiful. Sister Placheta is from Washington.

I am blessed to be here in New York. I love what I am doing. (I miss my family and friends but I value the support and love I feel from afar.) The experiences and opportunities I'm having here give me the chance to give and to try to repay the Lord for all I have and do receive.

I have been ponderizing a couple of scriptures this week. One of them is:
D&C 46:11 For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.

I have been thinking about gifts as talents.  I've pondered what gift/talent I've been given and how I should use it to further the Lord's work here on earth. I think of my family members and friends and I see your gifts and talents and how you use them.  I want you to know that as I ponder these things I realize what great examples you are to me.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored in our time so that we can grow and learn from the Book of Mormon and our living prophet the things that will bring us together as families and to eternal life.

Our Savior has redeemed our sins but in the Garden of Gethsemane He also bore our cares, illnesses, trials and burdens. If we turn to him in times of pain (and all of the time), He will help us. We can find joy in keeping the commandments. I know these things are true.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment