Monday, November 9, 2015

I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded!

Missionary work brings me great joy!

Even though the work I do is not your "typical" missionary work, I find that interacting with the proselyting missionaries and hearing their stories makes me happy.  I can work behind the scenes to help the work of spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ progress by helping maintain the health of the missionaries.

The sisters who live upstairs brought me a cupcake and shared a story with me.

Sister Hammarstrom loves cupcakes.  Almost every day they would walk by a bakery that displayed delicious looking cupcakes and other bakery items.  Sister Hammarstrom would say "I really want a cupcake."  But Sister Batsurri would answer that they didn't have time.  One day as they passed, the urge for a cupcake was overwhelming and Sister Hammarstrom told Sister Batsurri that they had to stop.  They went in and began to talk to the proprietor as they were selecting the cupcakes.  They asked her if she knew about Jesus Christ and if she would like to know more about Him and His church.  They have gone back now for two discussions and, of course, cupcakes.

My testimony grows each time I hear stories like this where the missionaries are led in one way or another to those who are receptive to hearing about the Gospel.

On Monday night the senior missionaries, 6 couples, came to family home evening and dinner. Fun evening of chatter and laughter.  I cooked way too much pulled pork so I made pulled pork chili and invited elders and sisters to dinner on Thursday evening.

Thursday night dinner crowd. I love it!!!
Wednesday morning, Sister Prince needed some office supplies and wanted to go to Costco,  I needed to pick up some pictures (prints).  I offered to drive but she likes to walk and so do I so the other office secretary, Sister Duke, came along with us on our walk to Costco.  When we came out it was pouring rain. Needless to say, we were soaked by the time we got back. It was a warm rain so we didn't get cold.  Sister Prince from Texas is always cold, so she wears a coat most of the time.  New Yorkers always wear coats and jackets.  I know something must be wrong with me because I am always too hot!

Walking home from Costco in the rain. Sister Prince and Sister Duke.
One set of elders was in a car accident last week.  They were rear ended.  I didn't know about it until the elder over the cars asked me to call the father of one of the elders involved in the accident.  His son had communicated that he had headache and neck pain after the accident.  I called to check on the elders.  They both said they were ok.  The pain was only for one day.

Thursday, one of them called with severe sharp pain at the base of his skull.  He went to the ER last evening so I was up and by the phone until midnight when he was sent home with muscle relaxers and pain med. I thought for a time I would have to drive out on the island to Patchogue but he, the elder, told me he would be ok if I didn't go.  Wouldn't have minded but I really didn't want to drive out there in the night.  I would probably asked one of the senior couples to come with me.  I slept in a little Friday morning because I was up so late.  I worked with insurance stuff for the accident most of Friday morning.  Whew!  Think I'm done for now.  Still waiting for a call from the hospital to give them the info they need.  I'm learning a lot in this position.

Elder and Sister Prince will be going home in February.  Sister Prince wanted to see Le Miz and since Elder Prince had already seen it, she invited me to come along.  Saturday we went into Manhattan for the 2:00 matinee. We were a little early so we walked around doing a little sight-seeing. Cried through the play but enjoyed it none-the-less.

Times Square
Spicy chicken empanada from street vendor on Times Square.
Imperial Theater

Sister Prince. She is a small woman. Nine children.
Entrance into the theater.
Times Square at night.
The ball at the top that drops on New Year's Eve.
Just one of the street acts.
Saturday evening was Stake Conference.  Sunday, the session was unusual by any conference I have ever attended. One of the speakers was the chief of police in Island City.  He is a Christian, Catholic, and he was invited to come and talk about the importance of good relations with the police and the people of the cities.  It's all about being a true Christian, regardless of race, color, or creed. I was very impressed.

Waiting for the train to go to stake conference.
Police chief talking in Stake Conference.
There are many languages in the mission. Some talks today were in Spanish and some in English
but their were headsets for other languages too.
Sunday evening, Sister Batsurri from Mongolia, brought my dinner.  She had made Asian soup called Takturitan.  It had chicken, carrots, and potatoes in a spicy broth.  She served it over rice with a spoonful of mashed potatoes on top.  It was good.

I finished my weekly reports and I am set to start a new week.

As I said in the beginning, my responsibilities are not exactly the same as proselyting missionaries.  However, I do feel and pray for direction from the Lord in my work.  I value the direction of the Spirit in caring for and ministering to the missionaries.  I love these young people so full of enthusiasm and love of the Gospel and the Savior and the work they are doing.  It is contagious!  It brings me joy to see them recover from their aches and pains and to be able to carry on the work.  I see them going out doing the Lord's errand even when they don't feel 100%.  They have to call me when they aren't well enough to work and it amazes me that I have few of these calls.  They are dedicated and that makes me want to be dedicated in doing my part too. 

I get to advise on health care, both physical and mental, and I try to uplift the missionaries spiritually too.  I can't tell you how much I value the direction of the Spirit in my work. (I know I already said that but it is so true.) I pray daily that I will be sensitive to that guidance.  Often I will get a call and I will be able to remember things I've learned or heard in the past that makes it possible to advise and direct.  Things I don't think I would recall without the help of the Lord.  His direction has helped me to learn the protocols required for providing care:  Whom I must call and when in order to make appointments and insurance requirements work.  I value the way the church has organized the resources that make it possible for me to do this calling.

"…I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandedth them"  1 Nephi 3:7   The scripture is true.

Missionary work is so rewarding.  The harder I try to repay the Lord for his care and gifts and blessings, the deeper I am in his debt.

I love you my dear family and friends.

Park by my apt.
This tree in the park is so beautiful
The day you had snow
French macaroons- didn't get a cannoli nor cheesecake. Macaroons this week.
Had to have one before I could take the picture

No comments:

Post a Comment