Monday, March 22, 2021

The before and the after!!


I said to the beautician:  I need a haircut and I would like it short.  I got it short.  Thing is that it grows so fast I will be “long” and “shaggy” within a few days.  It is strange to look in the mirror though and see it short when I’ve grown accustomed to longer hair. 

In the words of Garrison Keillor:  “It has been a quiet week here in” Takapuna.  I’ve had an ER visit, urgent care visits, dental and doctor appointments, and I sat for 45 minutes in a lab today waiting for a missionary to have some blood drawn.  I was entertained by the TV ads, jokes, and words of encouragement that flashed across the screen.  Thought I would (bore you) share with you.















The weather has been great.  It is cooling off and I can feel and see fall approaching. 



The flowers are less abundant although still can be seen around.



All of the students here wear uniforms to school from elementary to high school.  Here high school is called college.


Sister Lucas and I have taken advantage of the proximity of the Sushi House & Donburi a couple of times this week.  Really good and fresh sushi.


The people who own the restaurant are such friendly and warm people.  They always greet everyone with a hello and a warm welcome.  There is a great spirit there.


We have had to walk early a few mornings and didn’t see the sunrise but it is still enjoyable.

People going out in their boats/canoes

A couple of days, the sunrise was spectacular.






One evening we took a walk to the area office to get something that Sister Lucas needed.  The sunset was as amazing as the sunrise!




I found out this week that there will be a nurse coming to replace me when I finish in 2 weeks on the 6th of April.  She will be a service missionary and she is from Whangarei.  She and her husband will come tomorrow for a week to get some orientation.  They will be staying here in Shoalhaven where my flat is located so it will be handy and convenient.   I have been going through my papers and work to get things organized and ready to train and pass off to someone else.

I try to do something every day to get my flat ready to turn over as well.  I’m cleaning and emptying as much as possible. 

It has been an exciting week for the Kiwi’s.  New Zealand won the America’s Cup.  


Elder Edwards shared some pictures he took from a high rise apartment on Takapuna Beach where he watched the race with a group of senior missionaries.





I received my itinerary and my flight home.  I fly out on 22 April and arrive in SLC on 22 April.  My family has an appointment scheduled for me to get my COVID vaccination 23 April.  I’m going to be extra cautious and not be around a lot of people until I have the vaccinations on board.  I look forward to seeing all of you but will probably not be out much until I am fully vaccinated.  Then watch out!!  I’m coming for a hug.

I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have had to serve this mission.   The spirit of the mission field is indescribable.  I love the missionaries.  I love the work.  I love immersing myself in the scriptures and words of the prophets.  I love the people in the area and how welcoming and appreciative they are.  I love meeting new people and having the opportunity to talk about the Church and what I do.  There is seldom a day that goes by that someone doesn’t ask about my name tag and what I am doing here.  I am blessed.

Although I will miss New Zealand and the work, missionaries, and mission, I look forward to my family, home and friends as well. 

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment