Wednesday, March 10, 2021

It has been a rainy week!


It has rained every day this week.  Monday and Tuesday it came down in buckets.  Other days, it drizzled or only rained for a few minutes in the afternoon.  We walk the beach, rain or not.  We were soaked through on Monday and Tuesday.  It is too warm to wear a rain jacket and besides, it is more fun to just get drenched.  And cooler too.

The clouds and light vary so with the weather.






A couple of mornings we had to go at 5:45 and it was still quite dark.
The sun is not rising now until 7:00, give or take a few minutes.




Saturday morning the pink rays of the sun reflected on the clouds.

On the beach is this house that is being remodeled.  Here in New Zealand, remodeling or construction sites are wrapped in plastic. It is amazing to me.

It looks like shrink wrap around a building.  Amazing!


On our walk, we see beautiful flowers, trees and birds.






One of my favorite birds is the tui.  The tui has a beautiful song with a lot of variation.  However, much of the song you hear on this video is a seagull.  

Friday evening I went to see Sister Lucas for a second but arrived at her 4th floor flat in time to see a gorgeous sunset.


One day as I was cleaning, I noticed this tiny moth on my glass patio door.  From the inside looking out, the wings look transparent.  

The pattern on the wings is beautiful when looking at it from the outside.  It is just larger than my small finger nail.

We have been in COVID Alert level 3 lockdown this week so I it has been fairly quiet.  A few colds and stomach upsets that come with the season change and an appendectomy.  All went well there.  I could not go to the hospital so I monitored at a distance with reports from the companion.

I took advantage of the lockdown to clean my flat.  I cleaned the oven, pulled the refrigerator out and cleaned behind it, took down pictures and went through cupboards to get things pared down and ready for me to depart.  Don’t want to leave things to the last minute.

Monday evening, Sister Lucas asked if I wanted to join her on a short evening walk since the rain had stopped and the sunset was nice.  We walked down the street to Lake House Arts.   There are large wooden sculptures on the grassy area.  I drive by the place every time I go south or toward Auckland City.  I had seen the display while driving, but never focused on them as they are a little distance from the road.

It was fun and interesting and so close to my flat.

Looking from the balcony of my building toward Auckland.  The red roofed buildings at the edge of the field is Lake House Arts


Information about Lake House Arts from the web:

Operating since November 2000, Lake House Arts is a community facility supporting and presenting arts, culture, heritage and learning.

Three historic Takapuna/Devonport buildings, Lake House and two Fort Cautley Army Barracks make up Lake House Arts. Lake House Arts is a smoke-free, family-friendly, highly accessible public facility governed by a charitable trust.

Utilising six gallery spaces, five hirable studios, beautiful gardens and a popular cafe, Lake House Arts provides public access six days a week, and private after-hours access 24/7 for the community to experience exhibitions, events, classes, workshops, holiday programmes, tours and more.

Lake House Arts is also home to over 25 resident artists and arts/culture organisations. 

Hundreds of members and artists from the wider community regularly participate in Lake House Arts exhibitions and events.  Classes and holiday programmes provide access to over 2000 enrolments per annum.

Partnering with Auckland Council, the Devonport Takapuna Local Board and a variety of local and national funding partners, Lake House Arts is one of the Top Five providers of Arts, Culture and Heritage Programmes in the Auckland Region, and welcomes over 65,000 visitors yearly. 













Mosaic tiled plantar boxes



This shrub seems to have multiple colored flowers all on the same bush





Friday evening, I received a text alerting us that we will move to Alert Level 2.



Under this level, the maximum number of people that can gather is 100 so for Sunday, our COVID bubble met again in my flat for Sacrament, administered by Elder Mayberry, and a Come Follow Me discussion.

One of the missionaries that I talked to this week was feeling unhappy with herself because she felt she wasn’t doing all that she came to do.  Her feelings of self-worth were low.  Because I was in a lot this week, I had extra time to read and watch/listen to some favorite BYU Devotional speeches.  One of these favorite speeches I shared with the “low” sister.  

All of us at times question our worth.  In the speech “Our Spiritual Eyeglasses: What You See Is What You Get” by Connie L. Blakemore, Sister Blakemore states:

“I want to discuss the concept of individual or intrinsic worth. I maintain that how we view ourselves and others determines how we behave, as well as how we treat those around us. It is vital that we are looking through a clear and true belief window concerning worth. It is also my conviction that the adversary has many of us believing that our worth is determined by how we look or what we have accomplished or how much money we have acquired or what others think of us or the positions of power that we hold.

The scriptures, however, don’t support this view. In Jacob 2:21 we are taught that “one being is as precious in his sight as the other.” Doctrine and Covenants 18:10 states, “The worth of souls is great in the sight of God,” and Doctrine and Covenants 109:43 declares from the Kirtland Temple dedication prayer, “Souls are precious before thee.” I gather from these scriptures that all souls are equal in the sight of God and that our worth is a given and always in place for each of us. It isn’t to be earned or proven, and it doesn’t change. If we believe the scriptures I just quoted, we know we are all born into this world precious and with great worth. I find that far too many of us do not fully comprehend and internalize this principle. I was sprouting gray hairs before I really understood this absolute truth, and sometimes, even now, I have to remind myself that my worth is a given.”

There is so much truth to this statement.  I like what Sister Blakemore goes on to say:

“It is only when we make a distinction between worth and behavior (two different things) that this concept becomes clear, and it is imperative that we do this. Worth is constant and comes from God. Behavior changes and is a result of our actions. It comes from the world. Our worth is great. Our behavior can be good or bad. Our worth doesn’t change. Our behaviors are variable and do change. If we get these two concepts confused, we will have a distorted picture of ourselves. It is often hard for people to accept what I have been saying because the world usually doesn’t portray this view. The media tells us that we are more worthwhile if we use a certain toothpaste or drive a certain car or smoke a certain cigarette or express emotions in a certain way. The view of the world is often in direct opposition to that of the gospel. If we try and harmonize with the world, our identity becomes confused.

Let me illustrate what I am saying. I think all of you have experienced holding a newborn baby or puppy or kitten. What is it that makes you want to cuddle or kiss the newborn? The newborn has done nothing with the purpose of enticing these feelings of love or the desires to cuddle it. It just came that way, emulating love and warmth. We would all agree the newborn’s worth is great, else why would we have these desires? Now envision this young babe as it grows. It starts making messes, literally: writing on the walls and maybe even throwing a tantrum, especially as a teenager. Has the worth of the young one changed, or is it the behavior that has changed? Of course it is the behavior. Remember, worth is a given and is constant.”

I would invite you to watch or listen to this speech.  It has truth and value in it.

I know that my Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ live and love me.  They love you too.  May you feel of that love as you look into the mirror and as you go about your daily activities.  Remember who you are!

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment