Saturday, January 2, 2021

I watched the sun rise on 2021.

Waiting for the sun to rise

I got to Takapuna Beach early on New Year’s Day expecting to find a mostly vacant beach as I usually find before sunrise.  To my surprise, the beach was fairly crowded with people.  Normally, Sister Lucas and I go to the beach before sunrise in order to have the sun on our backs as we depart rather than in our eyes.  However, we delayed our return to our homes to welcome in the New Year with the other visitors to the beach.  It was fun to watch and feel the anticipation of the people at seeing the beginning of a new year with the rising of the sun.

First light

A few of the people on the beach

Moonlight

A few people climbed up on the rocks to get the first view of the sun

The sound of the waves is loud so you can’t hear the clapping and cheering as the sun rose
 

I went home and Googled traditions or “superstitions” if you will, about this event.  One website I visited gave me this information:

“In Japan, the beginning of the New Year is marked by several traditions named with the word hatsu, which means “first” in Japanese. Thus, we have hatsumode, which is the first visit to a shrine, hatsuyume, the first dream of the year, and hatsuhinode, the first sunrise of the year.
Hatsuhinode comes from a Shinto tradition that says that Toshigami, the kami of the New Year, must be greeted at the first sunrise, and they will bring good luck, well-being and health.”

On a trip to New Orleans with my husband, we learned as we ate red beans and rice, that the dish was traditionally served on New Year’s Day.  After that, I usually served red bean and rice at our family meal on the 1st day of January.  This is what I learned on a website about this custom:

“Many cultures and countries have particular "lucky" foods, and the Southern United States is no exception. Greens, pork, and cornbread, as well as black-eyed peas, cowpeas, or beans, are some of the typical symbolic foods served on New Year's Day.

Peas and beans symbolize coins or wealth. Choose traditional black-eyed peas, lentils, or beans to make a dish seasoned with pork, ham, or sausage.”

If you would like to read about this tradition and find some recipes for traditional foods eaten in the Southern part of the USA, you may find it here.

To be doubly lucky, along with watching the sun rise, I had beans for my dinner.  White beans with chicken and green chilies in green sauce.


The official first day of summer was on the 21st of December so I am now seeing “summer” produce in the market.  I had my first ear of corn this week and I look forward to many more corn on the cob meals.



It has been a typical but quiet week.  Transfers are next week so I have had fewer calls and fewer sick missionaries.  However,  I always look for opportunities to dine with missionaries.  

I had sushi with Sisters Fonokalafi and To’a.



I saw Elder Riwai-Couch and was able to get a picture with him before his mission ends next week.


On New Years’ Eve morning, my visit to the beach was rewarded with beauty beyond words.

 


I am happy that there have been fewer sick calls this week but it makes for longer days.  I have been able to devote more time to studying the scriptures.  I am looking forward to studying the Doctrine & Covenants and Church history this year.  

I have been blessed with the opportunity to visit many of the Church history sites in the United States.  When I began my mission in 2015 in New York City, I took my car with me.  My brother and sister drove cross country with me  We stopped at many of the Church sites along the way such as The Mormon Trail Center and the Mormon Cemetery in Omaha where our great grandfather, Charles Alfonzo Terry, and his first wife buried an infant son, Brigham, 1 month old.   We visited Winter Quarters, Nauvoo with a session in the Nauvoo Temple, Carthage Jail, Kirtland, and the Priesthood Restoration site in Pennsylvania.  

At the conclusion of my mission in 2017, my sister and brother again joined me on the ride home visiting the Hill Cumorah, The Sacred Grove and the Smith family farm and homes, Palmyra Temple, Adam-Ondi-Ahman and Liberty Jail. 

The Sacred Grove


It was raining the day we visited the grove

The Smith log home

My husband and I love road trips so we had traveled cross country and stopped at many of these sites plus others in Vermont and Missouri in the years prior to his passing, so I have had the blessing of visiting some of these places numerous times.  The Spirit is always strong when standing on sacred ground.  My testimony of the truthfulness of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ has been strengthened and has grown.

I know that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ and that by studying it, I can draw closer to my Savior.    

I am blessed to have been raised by parents who taught me by example and word.  I have made covenants at baptism and in the temple and know that the Lord will keep His covenants with me if I do my part.

I love my Savior and I love  you my family and friends.



1 comment:

  1. Outstanding, as always. Thank you for sharing the beauty you have found so far from home. I pray this will be a wonderful year for you and your family. May God bless you for all you do.
    Love to all you love.

    ReplyDelete