Monday, January 11, 2021

I love being with the missionaries!



It was transfer day on Tuesday and orientation of new missionaries on Wednesday.  We received 6 new missionaries this time.  It is fun to talk to them and to see the enthusiasm that they arrive with in the field.   I interview each new arrival to assess if there are any medical issues of which I need to be aware such as allergies, diet restrictions, etc.  Then as a group, I and the other senior missionaries working in the office, introduce ourselves and describe our responsibilities and what they can expect from us.  It is always a great experience.

I accompanied missionaries to a few appointments this week and had the usual phone and text contacts.  The missionaries are always so respectful and grateful for any and all help.  Makes my life blessed!!

I ran into some missionaries at the office and managed to arrange to have lunch with them on two different days.

Sisters Abaya and McQueen

Sisters Vea (going home to Tonga this week), Lucas, Fenunuti and Martinez

With the holidays and busy times, I have seen Elder and Sister Mayberry only in passing.  Sister Mayberry invited me and Sister Lucas to dinner on Thursday evening.  We ate at Talay Thai.    I usually have tom kah soup but I broke the habit and had pad thai this time.


Sister and Elder Mayberry and Sister Lucas

As always, I have enjoyed my daily beach walks and sunrises.  Wednesday it rained hard but we walked anyway.  It is too warm to wear a rain coat or plastic rain gear so I opted to “play” in the rain.  I got soaked to the skin but it was worth it.

Thursday morning



Saturday morning

The sky and clouds look like they are on fire!

My mission release will be in approximately 84 days.  I wanted to read and study the entire Book of Mormon again before my mission ends so I have been using the weekly Come Follow Me lessons except that I am reading each lesson of the study guide on a daily basis rather than weekly.  I have also been following the weekly Come Follow Me for this year’s study in the Doctrine & Covenants so it takes me 2 – 3 hours each day to go through the reading in the Book of Mormon, the D & C and the Come Follow Me outlines for each book,

I may not be able to do that every day but I am going to finish the Book of Mormon before I return home using this plan.  One day this week I studied Mosiah 27 and read again the story of Alma (the younger) and the four sons of Mosiah.  They had been going about in their wicked ways leading away the people and attempting to destroy the church.  An angel appeared to Alma and the sons of Mosiah in response to the prayers of Alma (the senior/father) and members of the church. 

Alma was commanded to stop his wicked and hurtful ways and to repent of his wrong doings.   Alma was so astonished at the angel’s appearance and words that he became weak, couldn’t move and couldn’t speak.  

Again Alma senior, the priests and the people fasted and prayed.

“23 And it came to pass after they had fasted and prayed for the space of two days and two nights, the limbs of Alma received their strength, and he stood up and began to speak unto them, bidding them to be of good comfort:

24 For, said he, I have repented of my sins, and have been redeemed of the Lord; behold I am born of the Spirit.

25 And the Lord said unto me: Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters;

26 And thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.”

On the day I read this chapter, I also watched the corresponding Book of Mormon Central episode.  Tyler Griffin, one of the moderators/teachers opened the video with this nursery rhyme:

“Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the kings horses and all the kings men
Couldn’t put Humpty Dumpty together again.”

Tyler explained that all of us have great falls from time to time. Some, like Humpty, never recover.  

Then Tyler shared a version of the rhyme which he attributed to Vaughn J Featherstone:

“Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the kings horses and all the kings men
Couldn’t put Humpty Dumpty together again.
But the King could.
And the King would.
And the King did.”

We all have opposition in life.  Life is hard.  We find ourselves broken and in “pieces” at times.   Many may try to help us put the pieces back together.  Some of us try to do it alone.  We can get help from our church leaders, our ministering sisters or elders, our family, friends.  We can’t do it alone.  Many may try to help us but no one can put us back together perfectly except our Lord and Savior, our King, Jesus Christ.

Only through our repentance and our Savior and His infinite Atonement can we fully recover from a great fall.  I love studying the Book of Mormon.  I can find help, direction, love and words of mercy through reading and studying that book.  I invite you to join me in this effort.  You will find great rewards, comfort and peace.

I hope that you have a great week ahead.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment