Monday, October 12, 2020

Choose to find joy.


I found much joy this week in lunching with sister missionaries.  Sister Teweti and Sister Kulihaapai are finishing their missions this next week so I took the opportunity to have lunch with them and their companions.  What a treat for me!

I had sushi and bulgogi (Korean) with Sister Teweti and Sister Uele on Friday.  




Conveniently located next to Get Sushi, we found this delightful cupcake bakery.


Sisters Teweti and Uele

The mermaid cupcakes were so cute I couldn’t resist taking a picture.

All of the cupcakes looked amazing and there were several varieties to choose from
but I went with the peanut butter one and the snickers one.  YUM!!!

Sister Teweti served in Niue which is a small island country about 1500 miles
northeast of New Zealand.  Her time there was cut short because of COVID but
she brought me this beautiful flower and necklace.  The shells of the necklace are tiny.
Maybe about the size of, or a little bigger than, a mustard seed.   I couldn’t believe
how many shells it took to make this necklace as you see me wearing it in the first picture.


On Saturday, I had Chinese food at Shanghai Street with Sister Kulihaapi and Sister Arps.

Sister Lucas joined us so at the table: Sister Lucas and Sisters Arps and Kulihaapai.

We had vegetable stir fry, lemon chicken, and salt and pepper prawns.

My favorite was the soup dumplings and bao (steamed buns).




It has been fairly quiet this week on the health front.  There have been a few runny noses, coughs, sore throats, nausea/vomiting, boils and some knee/ankle pains.  I accompanied missionaries to only a couple of doctor visits and then a Health Council meeting at the office. 

When at the office, I ran into these great sisters:
Sister Lewis, Sister Nathan-Ngaronoa, Sister Tuipala, and Sister Lucas

COVID is under control again so our alert level is at 1.  We will be able to resume church meetings for the normal 2 hour block next Sunday.  Other than the borders remaining closed, life is getting back to normal.  We are asked to still use our phone apps to trace our movements however, in case there is another outbreak.

In May, I noticed that my floor/carpet was wet in the room where my computer and desk are located.  Through the wall is the bathroom.  I am on the 1st floor and somewhere above me on 2, 3, 4, or 5 there was a leaky pipe.  Because of COVID, workers could not come in and make repairs.  But someone came in, cut a hole in the wall, located the leak and put a “Band-aid” on it to get me by.  They somehow shunted the water into the car park below.   I have had a 4 X 8 sheet of paneling on the wall covering the hole since May.

This week, workers came in and made repairs.  I have sheet rock dust all over but I was told that they may need to remove the tile on the floor in the bathroom to make sure there is no mold.  So I haven’t cleaned up the mess yet.  I have asked to have my carpets cleaned when all is said and done.  Here are the before and after pictures of the wall repair.  





I have this wooden wall décor hanging over my table. 

As I sat eating dinner one evening, I again read through the sayings and words of encouragement on the board.  It caused me to think about the choices we make every day in our lives.  By doing or following the advice given on the board, we can find joy in our lives.   

Life is hard for so many right now, but if we choose to find joy in just one thing every day, our lives would be happier and more meaningful.   

I love this Hope Works video.  Please watch it.  

We have walked the beach at low tide all week.  It has been beautiful as always but windy.






The wind was blowing so hard that it blocked out whatever I was saying at
the beginning but I think I was just remarking about how it seemed
the wind was blowing 100 MPH!

The flowers and trees continue to blossom and bring beauty as spring arrives.




Monday I was invited to attend a training for sister missionaries (called a Morning Side rather like a Fire Side held in the morning instead of the evening) with the sisters in the Mt Wellington and Ferguson districts of our mission.  However, a meeting at the mission office took longer than expected and then I had a missionary in the emergency room with abdominal pain.  I didn’t make it to the Morning Side meeting but the missionary was sent from the hospital in good condition with only a minor case of gastritis.  All ended well!

Monday evening I was invited to Family Home Evening with the Pacific Area Missionaries.  We had a delicious “Café Rio” style dinner prepared by each of us bringing a portion.  I took pico de gallo.  Tres leche was the dessert.  Our area president, President Ian Ardern and his wife, Paula were the guest speakers.  It was a delightful evening with good food, friends and enlightenment.  

It has been a good week.  I pray that you will be well and safe and choose to find joy this coming week.   

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment