Monday, September 14, 2020

Being a mission nurse is rewarding.


I have been busy this week accompanying missionaries to appointments both medical and dental.  One of the side benefits is getting to know the missionaries better.  Learning about their families and plans for their future helps me to better understand them and what is important to them.

Another benefit of being out an about the mission is that I get to meet up with missionaries to share a meal.  

Dinner with Sister Teweti (this is her last transfer as she prepares to return home) and Sister Uele

Good food at Vietnam Gourmet Restaurant



Sisters Narokea, Nathan, and Sione

Here in the mission, there have been several problems with teeth over the last few weeks.  For some reason, more dental problems arising than usual.  I read an article this week from the New York Times written by a dentist.  I found this interesting and thought I would share with you.

Tammy Chen D.D.S., discusses in the article the increased number of patients seen daily for tooth fractures:   

“I closed my midtown Manhattan practice to all but dental emergencies in mid-March, in line with American Dental Association guidelines and state government mandate. Almost immediately, I noticed an uptick in phone calls: jaw pain, tooth sensitivity, achiness in the cheeks, migraines. 

One obvious answer is stress. From COVID-induced nightmares to “doomsurfing” to “coronaphobia,” it’s no secret that pandemic-related anxiety is affecting our collective mental health. That stress, in turn, leads to clenching and grinding, which can damage the teeth.

But when I reopened my practice in early June, the fractures started coming in: at least one a day, every single day that I’ve been in the office. On average, I’m seeing three to four; the bad days are six-plus fractures.  What’s going on?

But more specifically, the surge I’m seeing in tooth trauma may be a result of two additional factors.

First, an unprecedented number of Americans are suddenly working from home, often wherever they can cobble together a makeshift workstation: on the sofa, perched on a bar stool, tucked into a corner of the kitchen counter. The awkward body positions that ensue can cause us to hunch our shoulders forward, curving the spine into something resembling a C-shape.

If you’re wondering why a dentist cares about ergonomics, the simple truth is that nerves in your neck and shoulder muscles lead into the temporomandibular joint, or TMJ, which connects the jawbone to the skull. Poor posture during the day can translate into a grinding problem at night.

Second, most of us aren’t getting the restorative sleep we need. Since the onset of the pandemic, I’ve listened to patient after patient describe sudden restlessness and insomnia. These are hallmarks of an overactive or dominant sympathetic nervous system, which drives the body’s “fight or flight” response. Think of a gladiator preparing for battle: balling his fists, clenching his jaw. Because of the stress of coronavirus, the body stays in a battle-ready state of arousal, instead of resting and recharging. All that tension goes straight to the teeth.

You’d be surprised how many people are unaware that they’re clenching and grinding. Even patients who come into the office complaining of pain and sensitivity are often incredulous when I point it out. “Oh, no. I don’t grind my teeth,” is a refrain I hear over and over again, despite the fact that I’m often watching them do it.”

Here is a link to the article if you would like to read the suggestions that Dr Chen gives to help with the problems.   

It has been a beautiful week for walking the beach.

Wednesday morning sunrise



This is a picture of Sister Lucas and me walking along the beach.  We have
befriended a woman who we see almost every day on the beach.  She is taking
a photography class and this is one of her pictures.  She sent it to us.


Spring is just around the corner here.  The rainy days are decreasing in number and the flowers are becoming more abundant.    










I am so spoiled!!   The missionaries are so kind to remember my weakness.

As I was going through some notes on my phone this week, I came across some thoughts I had written down prior to leaving for this mission.  I think I must have been thinking about writing my blog.   This is what I wrote:

This past week has been filled with mixed emotions. I’ll be totally honest! My thoughts:  I really want to go and serve the Lord but I really DON’T want to go and serve the Lord. Don’t be misled by this statement. I really do want to serve the Lord in all ways possible but I really don’t like leaving my family. 

I think that I wrote this just after my MTC training while I was doing medical training and before leaving for New Zealand.  This caused me to want to look back through the pictures I took at that time.  I hope that you won’t mind if I reminisce a little.

Each evening of the week before I left, my family came to my home.
We walked around the block and enjoyed each other’s company.


We gathered in the driveway to roast hot dogs or more often just
had fast food so we didn’t have to cook for 20+ people.


I knew that I would miss the mountains to the east and the sunset to the west.


But I am grateful for the support of my family and for the privilege of serving this mission.
It seems like yesterday that I was at the airport waiting to take off for New Zealand.

I miss this group but I’m grateful for all they do for me and
for technology that allows me to see and talk to them daily.

I am truly blessed beyond words.  I love my Savior.  I testify that He is the Savior of the world.  He lives and He loves me.  He loves you.  Through His sacrifice, mercy and Atonement, we can be saved.  

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment