Monday, June 29, 2020

I’m a “wash and go” type of gal!



Thursday I gave up on trying to grow out my hair.  It was getting to the point of major unruliness.  People suggested I use gels or other types of hair control products but I long ago realized that I don’t like to take the time to apply products, blow dry, and style my hair.  I like to wash, towel dry, and be on my way.  I am spoiled.  I must admit that I liked the way my hair curled and I received compliments on the curliness and color but I couldn’t do it any longer so…

The “new” me

It has been almost hectic this week!   We had zone conference on Tuesday in South Auckland. That’s a 30+ minute drive each way depending on traffic.  It was a great conference though. 


Some of the hugs I enjoyed.   Sister To’a

Sisters Vea and Malimali

Our mission president and his companion, President and Sister Walker, will be finishing their mission tomorrow, 30 June.    This was their last conference.  They will be missed.

Farewell haka

   



I had doctors’ appointments with 3 different missionaries on different days and tons of calls and texts.  The cold/flu season has hit so I am giving advice in my sleep: 

Cold treatment
For your sore throat dissolve 1/2 teaspoon salt in 1 cup warm water, gargle and spit out.  Do this after every meal and at bedtime. This will help your cough too.  
Increase you fluid intake. Drink more water.  Cover your face with your arm when you sneeze or cough. Wash hands frequently.  
You may take 2 ibuprofen with food and a large glass of water every 4-5 hours. If you have paracetamol you may take that as well.  
Cold medicine like DayQuil/NyQuil or Codral or Lemsip will help you to feel better.  These medicines already contain paracetamol so do not take extra paracetamol. Only take the cold medicine.   
I have similar “pre-recorded” instructions for coughs and nausea/vomiting.  It saves time to have these instructions in my phone notes so I can copy and paste text messages to missionaries in need of help.

I have enjoyed my beach walks as always although many days this week it has been “walking in the rain.” 

Tuesday morning had to walk early at 6:00 A.M. to be back in time for zone conference.
Pretty dark at that time of day.











When the sea is churned up it creates a lot of foam








Saturday I went to the Wood Carver with 2 other senior couples and Sister Lucas.  All of the senior missionaries in the area since I arrived a year ago have raved about how interesting it was to go to this place.  The wood carver, Jiries Giacaman and his wife Marcelle, are from Bethlehem where he grew up and learned the art of wood carving.  Now he lives in New Zealand and has opened a shop where you can buy his products.  His tour includes his work shop as well as the store.  They are very pleasant people.  It was a fun experience. 





While we watched, Jiries carved out a kiwi.  Here he is penciling in the outline of the bird

Here he uses the band saw to cut out the rough shape from the block of wood


The “rough cut” kiwi


Here he uses a foredom rotary tool to smooth out the kiwi




Since I have been to Bethlehem and purchased a Nativity there, I was not really that excited to go but I am glad I went.  The New Zealand woods that Jiries uses make lovely bowls, ornaments, and various souvenirs along with the Nativity sets.

My purchase of the day was a beautiful bowl.  I love the color and grain of the kauri root.



Being in this wood shop and seeing the tools and smelling the wood and saw dust made me think of Kay, my husband, and how much he would have loved this little tour.  He so enjoyed woodworking and was skilled at it too!

Whenever I see plants growing in/out of rocks or walls or any hard, unlikely place for growth,
I can’t help but admire the tenacity of the plant.

Those roots growing into that hard, unyielding spot feed the plant.

I have to stop and contemplate what my roots are like.  What is feeding me?
What makes me grow and develop?  Good food for thought.  How about you?

MISC pictures I wanted to share:

My sister sent these pictures to me.  I’m so old I don’t even remember the dress that
my sister says was one of her favorites that I wore.  I was probably 16ish in this picture.

Pictures of my first four children:  Katie holding baby Jake.  Rex and Kristin with our dog Zeke.

Deanne number six child was probably 4ish in this picture.

Dinner:  salmon, kumara (sweet potato), green beans

I saw these vegetables in the grocery store but didn’t know what it was so I asked a lady.
She told me that it is New Zealand yams.

Oxalis tuberosa is a perennial herbaceous plant that overwinters as underground stem tubers. These tubers are known as uqa in Quechua, oca in Spanish, New Zealand yam and a number of other alternative names. The plant was brought into cultivation in the central and southern Andes for its tubers, which are used as a root vegetable. The plant is not known in the wild, but populations of wild Oxalis species that bear smaller tubers are known from four areas of the central Andean region. Oca was introduced to Europe in 1830 as a competitor to the potato, and to New Zealand as early as 1860.

In New Zealand, oca has become a popular table vegetable and is simply called yam or New Zealand yam (although not a true yam). It is available in a range of colours, including yellow, orange, pink, apricot, and the traditional red.   

My brother sent this one to me.  Gotta love it!!

I pray that during this next week you will be healthy, safe and happy.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment