Monday, June 15, 2020

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine… Proverbs 22:17



I love my life!   I enjoy laughter, good jokes and having fun. 

You know why you never see elephants hiding up in trees?
Because they’re really good at it.
What do you call bears with no ears?
B
Sorry!!  I couldn’t resist.   Humor and laughter help me to overcome trials and to keep life’s ups and downs in perspective.  A good sense of humor can help ease a tense or stressful situation.  I’m sure that some of the missionaries around here just roll their eyes and shake their heads at Sister Petersen and some of the “dumb” stuff she says and does.  Like the two jokes I previously shared.

I like that our prophets and church leaders can share funny experiences and see humor in life.  In the October session of General Conference, President Gordon B Hinckley, with his dry wit and great sense of humor stated from the pulpit:  “We know that it is warm in here.  We’re sorry. You’re not nearly as warm as you will be if you don’t repent.”

Both President Hinckley and his wife, Marjorie Pay Hinckley, had wonderful senses of humor.   I have a little book written by Sister Hinckley titled Small and Simple Things.  She shared some thoughts and experiences of her life with President Hinckley.  One of the quotes that I like from this book:  “The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.”

In an article in the September 2007 Ensign, by Gary K. Palmer, a Teaching Professor of Recreation Management and Youth Leadership, Brigham Young University, says: 
“Studies show that humor and laughter help people live longer, happier lives; be more creative and productive; and have more energy with less physical discomfort.   Humor reduces stress, fear, intimidation, embarrassment, and anger.  Laughter also has extraordinary healing power.   When a person laughs, blood pressure decreases, heart rate and respiration increase, the body releases endorphins, and depression declines.  After the laughter subsides and you relax again, that good feeling has a lasting effect, even until the next day.  Not many medicines will do that.”
Brother Palmer discusses in his article ways to improve family relationships but much of the help he offers can be used in many/all aspects of our lives.  He says:  “Laughter improves communication and builds relationships because everyone laughs in the same language.”

If you would like to read the entire article, you may do so here.

It has been fairly busy this week and that makes me happy.  I enjoy being around the missionaries and friends that I have here in New Zealand.

Monday was transfer planning meeting at the office.  Tuesday we welcomed 12 more missionaries to our mission with orientation and transfers.  Thursday we had 7 more arrivals with orientation and transfers.  However, instead of attending the orientation that day, I helped a missionary go to urgent care in the south part of our mission.  With travel time and wait time at urgent care, it was a long-ish day.

Friday I traveled again north 2 hours to Whangarei to accompany a missionary to a doctor’s appointment.  What a beautiful, green land.  The rains have restored the green and I love it!





Since I was going to be in the area, I called ahead and invited some sisters that I hadn’t seen for a while to go to lunch with me.  It was a delicious Thai meal with great company.  Sister Lucas rode with me to keep me company for the road trip.


Sisters Tetopata, Grace, Lucas

On the way back to Takapuna, as we passed through Wellsford, we got a giggle when we spotted the animals in front of a store in their COVID-19 masks.  Gotta love a good sense of humor!





Saturday evening, I went to Thai dinner with Elder and Sister Mayberry and Sister Lucas.  It was a delightful evening with good food and wonderful


I enjoyed tom kah soup, satay gai, and a star of rice.



Because COVID restrictions are lifted and group sizes are unlimited, we were able to return to full Church service on Sunday.  We had a normal Sacrament Meeting, Primary, Relief Society/Priesthood followed by a linger-longer with treats and time visit and to catch up with friends we hadn’t seen for weeks.
Just one of the gorgeous sunrises I’ve witnessed this week.

Frequently we meet this little family:  mom, dad and son about 18 months - maybe 2 years old.
 They all wear rubber Wellies and jump and play in the water.  It touches my heart. 
This little scene especially was touching to see mom playing with son.


The rocks at low tide remind me of what I think it must look like on the moon


The dogs often come in their best finery


Dog Party Day at the beach

This sand design reminds me of cobblestone streets

This is what your skin looks like if you’ve stayed to long in the swimming pool or bath tub.

I like the barnacles on the rocks and shells in the crevices



The Manuka trees are blooming


I don’t know what these little blossoms are but I like the color

Look for the rainbows in life and you will be happy

I pray that you will have a happy, healthy, safe week ahead.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

Remember:  Humor and laughter can help one to overcome trials and to keep life’s ups and downs in perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment