Monday, March 2, 2020

This has been a roller coaster week!


Waitangi Treaty Grounds

My brother, John, is here visiting with me.  I was able to take him north for Monday and Tuesday.  We packed 3-4 days of activities into 2 ½ days and boy did we keep moving.

Monday morning early we boarded a boat for a Hole in the Rock cruise.  Since I have reported on this cruise before, I will only post a few pictures.  The sea was calm enough that we were able to sail through the Hole in the Rock.







The cruise included a BBQ on the largest of the 144 islands in the Bay of Islands.


Sure John!  Catch me with my mouth full.

The cruise concluded at about 2:30 so we hurried over to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds where we joined a tour of the museum and area with a cultural program at the end of the tour.  It is interesting to learn about the history of the Maori and British settlements and interaction.











Tuesday morning we woke up early (still dark) and headed north to Cape Reinga, the most northern tip of New Zealand.  We walked down to the light house and out on the point.















Flax grows everywhere here including along the path to the point.
People have woven designs out of the flax leaves. Interesting

Because one of the missionaries was still in the hospital after an operation for a ruptured appendix last week, I needed to return to Auckland.  Sister Packard covered for me on Monday and Tuesday.  It is important for one of us to be there when the doctors come in so that I will know how the blood work and treatment is going.  I spent much of the day Wednesday in the hospital as the doctors didn’t come in until late.

Thursday was the last zone conference of this transfer period and then immediately after the conference, I accompanied a missionary to a doctor appointment.

Conference lunch

Here I am telling the missionaries how important it is for one’s health to keep a clean home.

Elder and Sister Mayberry.  Elder Mayberry is the area medical doctor.

Just a few reasons I love going to zone conferences!!



John spent Wednesday and Thursday patiently waiting for me in my flat.  He is a good sport and keeps reassuring me that he knows I am here to serve the missionaries and not to entertain him.  It has been a very busy week with missionary illnesses:  hospital, doctors’ appointments, calls and texts.

Thursday evening we did go out for dinner at a Greek restaurant.  It was the best food I have eaten at a restaurant since I got here.

The dolmathes were wrapped in cabbage leaves instead of grape leaves.  All was delicious!!




Friday morning we went to Karekare Waterfall.  I have been there before but this time the direct road to the waterfall was being repaired so we took another way which was the narrowest and most winding road I can remember and it went on for many kilometers.








On our way home, well it was not really on the way, I went by the hospital to check on the missionary. The doctor told us that he may be discharged on Saturday.

As we crossed the bridge back into Takapuna, I noticed that it was low tide, so I took John to Takapuna Beach to see the tree fossils and tide pools.  See the picture for the information about the tree fossils.











The IV antibiotics were changed on Friday to oral antibiotics and things looked good for discharge on Saturday.  I was at the hospital by 7:00.  It is a 35-40 minute drive to the hospital one way so I had to leave EARLY!!

The doctor came in about 8:15 and confirmed the discharge pending results on the day’s blood draw.  The day dragged on.  At noon, I asked the nurse if she had any idea about the time we would be going out.  She said it was Saturday and things were busy - Probably around 4:00.  We actually got the missionary out about 3:45.

I had another missionary having ear pain for 3 days with a history of ear infections so I met that missionary at urgent care on my way back to my flat.  I got home about 6:30.  I grabbed John and we headed to Mt Victoria in Devenport to watch the sun set.


I have been to Mt Victoria numerous times but I never noticed this “guy” before.  Sure looks like a frog to me.







Sunday after Church, we decided on an afternoon drive.  We invited Sister Bunker to go with us to Muriwai Gannet Colony.  Love watching those birds.



Black sand beaches in this area – the sign in the lower right corner explains about the magnetic black sand




The Australasian gannet is a large, mostly coastal seabird with predominantly white plumage, long, pointed wings, a long neck and slender body shape. The trailing edges of its wings and a varying proportion of its central tail feathers are black. The wedge-shaped bill is bluish-grey, with a lining of black; the skin surrounding the eye is intensely blue. The head plumage is buff-yellow, which extends down the neck. The sexes cannot be reliably distinguished in the field. Juveniles have mottled dark brown and white plumage, and are separable from immatures, which gradually acquire more white over several moults, before acquiring full adult plumage when about 3 years old.  The gannet comes to New Zealand to breed and nest.  They arrive in August and return to Australia in March or April.  There are already fewer birds here than the last time I visited.  If you are interested, you may read a bit more about these birds here.






Feathers everywhere 


Here you can see the younger chick with the white downy feathers, the fledgling, and adult.




Welcome back.  Good to see you again

Mama preening and cleaning

This chick tucked his head under and either endured or enjoyed his mother’s care

Mama preening and cleaning

Even with the drought we see gorgeous flowers and pretty little butterflies.



My latest addiction

This week I spoke with someone who is struggling because of bullying at school and at church.  It is sad to see the pain and hurt that the actions and words of others can cause.  I have seen friendships and families break apart because of things said and done.

It brought to mind a post by Charles Trimble that I saw on FB.  I shared this thought with this struggling person.



This also brought to mind a talk I remembered I had heard in the past.  I had to search but I found it.  It was given in April 2012 by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf:  The Merciful Obtain Mercy.

He states:
“Strained and broken relationships are as old as humankind itself. Ancient Cain was the first who allowed the cancer of bitterness and malice to canker his heart. He tilled the ground of his soul with envy and hatred and allowed these feelings to ripen until he did the unthinkable—murdering his own brother and becoming, in the process, the father of Satan’s lies. 
Since those first days the spirit of envy and hatred has led to some of the most tragic stories in history. It turned Saul against David, the sons of Jacob against their brother Joseph, Laman and Lemuel against Nephi, and Amalickiah against Moroni. 
I imagine that every person on earth has been affected in some way by the destructive spirit of contention, resentment, and revenge. Perhaps there are even times when we recognize this spirit in ourselves. When we feel hurt, angry, or envious, it is quite easy to judge other people, often assigning dark motives to their actions in order to justify our own feelings of resentment.”
He goes on to say:
“Forgiving ourselves and others is not easy. In fact, for most of us it requires a major change in our attitude and way of thinking—even a change of heart. But there is good news. This “mighty change” of heart is exactly what the gospel of Jesus Christ is designed to bring into our lives. 
How is it done? Through the love of God. 
When our hearts are filled with the love of God, something good and pure happens to us. We “keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world.” 
The more we allow the love of God to govern our minds and emotions—the more we allow our love for our Heavenly Father to swell within our hearts—the easier it is to love others with the pure love of Christ. As we open our hearts to the glowing dawn of the love of God, the darkness and cold of animosity and envy will eventually fade. 
As always, Christ is our exemplar. In His teachings as in His life, He showed us the way. He forgave the wicked, the vulgar, and those who sought to hurt and to do Him harm.
Jesus said it is easy to love those who love us; even the wicked can do that. But Jesus Christ taught a higher law. His words echo through the centuries and are meant for us today. They are meant for all who desire to be His disciples. They are meant for you and me: “Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.” 
When our hearts are filled with the love of God, we become “kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving [each other], even as God for Christ’s sake [forgave us].” 
My dear brothers and sisters, consider the following questions as a self-test: 
Do you harbor a grudge against someone else? 
Do you gossip, even when what you say may be true? 
Do you exclude, push away, or punish others because of something they have done? 
Do you secretly envy another? 
Do you wish to cause harm to someone? 
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may want to apply the two-word sermon from earlier: stop it! 
In a world of accusations and unfriendliness, it is easy to gather and cast stones. But before we do so, let us remember the words of the One who is our Master and model: “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.” 
Brothers and sisters, let us put down our stones. 
Let us be kind. 
Let us forgive. 
Let us talk peacefully with each other. 
Let the love of God fill our hearts. 
“Let us do good unto all men.” 
The Savior promised: “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over. … For with the same measure that [you use] it shall be measured to you again.” 
Shouldn’t this promise be enough to always focus our efforts on acts of kindness, forgiveness, and charity instead of on any negative behavior? 
Let us, as disciples of Jesus Christ, return good for evil. Let us not seek revenge or allow our wrath to overcome us. 
“For it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 
“Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink. … 
“Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.” 
Remember: in the end, it is the merciful who obtain mercy. 
As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wherever we may be, let us be known as a people who “have love one to another.”

If you wish to read the entire talk, you may do so here.

I know that it is not always easy to be a peacemaker.  It is not always easy to forgive.  I know for sure though that the Lord will bless us in ways we can’t imagine when we show love for each other.  I pray that each of us will lift and help and care for each other and teach our children and grandchildren to do the same.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment