Wednesday, October 23, 2019

“Grateful in Any Circumstances”

I got my New Zealand driver’s license (licence)!!!


I went to the eye doctor this week to get my eyes checked because when I applied for my New Zealand driver’s license, I failed to pass the vision check.  The doctor gave me a form to take back to the licensing office saying that I could see and was safe to drive.  I even received my “official” license today in the mail.

It has been a fairly quiet week.  The weather is warming and the missionaries seem to be doing well for the most part.  Coughs/cold symptoms and nausea and vomiting viruses are cropping up much less.  I’ve been preparing for the next round of zone conferences with the first of the series next Friday.

I was able to walk on the beach 3 days this week.  I am sure that after another year of “beach” pictures you will be saying “ENOUGH” already but it is beautiful here and I must share.


Large tankers/ships in the distance

Sunday I was invited to lunch at a ward member’s home and then I prepared dinner for Sister Bunker, Lillian and her son, Kevin and Michael.  Michael, Lillian’s husband is here visiting from their home in China.  He will be here for a month.  Here is a picture from the last time that they were to dinner.  I didn’t get a picture of their family this time.  I will get one of the family before Michael, his English name, returns home.



Lillian and Kevin went home to China for three weeks and brought Michael back with them.  When they came to dinner they brought me a beautiful gift of bone china from the Palace Museum in Beijing.  It is a treasure to me!






This week I have worked with missionaries who have been struggling with various trials.  I minister to a lady who is struggling with multiple sclerosis and who seldom is able to get out of her room at the care center.  One friend just lost her spouse.  Another is facing health issues.  Another is questioning his faith.  A family I know is wrestling with financial woes.  I see people all around who are facing trials of various kinds.  All of this has given me much to think about.

Reading through the October 14-20 lesson in Come Follow Me, I read the talk “Grateful in Any Circumstances” By President Dieter F. Uchtdorf found in the May 2014 Ensign. 

He begins:  “Over the years, I have had the sacred opportunity to meet with many people whose sorrows seem to reach the very depths of their soul. In these moments, I have listened to my beloved brothers and sisters and grieved with them over their burdens. I have pondered what to say to them, and I have struggled to know how to comfort and support them in their trials. 
Often their grief is caused by what seems to them as an ending. Some are facing the end of a cherished relationship, such as the death of a loved one or estrangement from a family member. Others feel they are facing the end of hope—the hope of being married or bearing children or overcoming an illness. Others may be facing the end of their faith, as confusing and conflicting voices in the world tempt them to question, even abandon, what they once knew to be true. 
Sooner or later, I believe that all of us experience times when the very fabric of our world tears at the seams, leaving us feeling alone, frustrated, and adrift. 
It can happen to anyone. No one is immune. 
Everyone’s situation is different, and the details of each life are unique. Nevertheless, I have learned that there is something that would take away the bitterness that may come into our lives. There is one thing we can do to make life sweeter, more joyful, even glorious. 
We can be grateful! 
It might sound contrary to the wisdom of the world to suggest that one who is burdened with sorrow should give thanks to God. But those who set aside the bottle of bitterness and lift instead the goblet of gratitude can find a purifying drink of healing, peace, and understanding. 
As disciples of Christ, we are commanded to “thank the Lord [our] God in all things,” to “sing unto the Lord with thanksgiving,” and to “let [our] heart be full of thanks unto God.” 
Why does God command us to be grateful? 
All of His commandments are given to make blessings available to us. Commandments are opportunities to exercise our agency and to receive blessings. Our loving Heavenly Father knows that choosing to develop a spirit of gratitude will bring us true joy and great happiness.”

If you would like to read the entire talk, you may do so here.

I have talked about gratitude in previous blogs, but I can see in my life, the affect that gratitude can have on the way I feel about my Savior and the Gospel of Jesus Christ, my family, the world in which I live, the people that I observe and work with every day and so much more.  I have so much for which I am grateful.  I do find joy in life.

I know that my Savior lives and loves me.  He loves you too.  Through the trials of life, I pray that we will endure with gratitude and that we will look for the growth and development that comes to us through these trials.  May you find joy in the journey.

I love my Savior and I love you my family and friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment