Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Bay of Islands Weekend Venture

Bay of Islands Weekend Venture



Things have been pretty routine here in Takapuna this week leading up to a Saturday adventure in the Bay of Islands.  A few doctor’s appointments with missionaries followed by lunch with them.  (I love to get better acquainted with the missionaries over a meal.)  Had the normal calls and daily interactions but I am amazed at how the calls are slowing as the weather warms. 

We began our round of zone conferences for this transfer period on Friday in the Northland at the chapel in Whangarei.  I rode with Elder and Sister Packard.  After the training/conference ended, we drove north to Paihia to stay the night.  Seventeen of us senior missionaries planned a Saturday outing which was a cruise and BBQ lunch to Hole in the Rock.

We enjoyed dinner at Greens, an Indian/Thai restaurant.  The food was great but I got so caught up in visiting with friends that I neglected to get a picture of my delicious Tom Kah Gai soup and Massaman Lamb Curry.  It was the best Tom Kah Gai that I remember ever having!

This is not my meal but a picture I got from the net.
The food was not only tasty but beautifully presented.

Saturday morning, Elder and Sister Lewis and I walked along the beach and through the little town of Paihia before joining the rest of our group on the dock to board our cruise vessel for the tour of the Bay of Islands.  You may read about the Bay of Islands

Pano of Paihia from a hill top near the wharf.

Our cruise ship




Senior missionary group picture on the island of Urupukapuka
which is the largest island in the Bay of Islands.

On Urupukapuka we climbed a fairly steep mountain through a sheep pasture to get a 360 degree
view of the waters around the island.  I’ll admit I was huffing and puffing a little by the time
I reached the top but the view was worth the effort.

Group picture of some of the passengers who braved the climb.

Looking down the hill.

Another picture of the group climbing the hill.

After leaving Urupukapuka we headed for Piercy Island or the Hole in the Rock.  Here is some information about the island:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piercy_Island

We were told that we might see whales or dolphins but we only saw a seal lying in the sun on rocks and one playing in the water near a small island. Unfortunately I wasn’t quick enough to get to a location near a rail where I could get good pictures.




Sailing through the Hold in the Rock

Picture of the Hole in the Rock from the back side

Picture of the profile of a woman in the rock on Piercy Island

Picture of the Cape Brett Lighthouse.  From Wikipedia:  “The Cape Brett Lighthouse is a lighthouse
at Cape Brett in the Northland Region of the North Island of New Zealand. The site was surveyed
and chosen in 1908 by Captain John Bollons of NZGSS Hinemoa. The lighthouse was
deactivated and keepers were withdrawn in 1978 and replaced by an automated beacon on the same site.”

One of the island stops on the cruise was in Russell.  We stopped there as the last stop of the day before returning to Paihia.  We were given the option of getting off and a free ferry ticket to return to Paihia so since many had not been there before, we got off and walked a bit before ending our day.  (I told you about Russell, known as the first permanent European settlement and seaport in New Zealand, in a previous blog so I won’t go into detail here.)

My Russell purchase – iced “hot” chocolate

It was a fun day and I learned more about this awesomely beautiful land.

Monday was New Zealand Labour Day.   From Wikipedia:  “Labour Day (Labor Day in the United States) is an annual holiday to celebrate the achievements of workers. Labour Day has its origins in the labour union movement, specifically the eight-hour day movement, which advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest.

For most countries, Labour Day is synonymous with, or linked with, International Workers' Day, which occurs on 1 May. For other countries, Labour Day is celebrated on a different date, often one with special significance for the labour movement in that country. Labour Day is a public holiday in many countries.

In Canada and the United States, the holiday is celebrated on the first Monday of September and considered the unofficial end of summer, with summer vacations ending and students returning to school around then.”

Monday evening I was invited to join a family home evening with some elders, the Lewis’s and the Wrights, and a family that the elders are teaching.  Very spirit-filled evening.

I always enjoy learning about our Savior and his love, sacrifices and teachings.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

More pics from the week taken here and there.






I saw this on the doorstep of one of my neighbors in Shoalhaven.  I asked Sister Bunker about
it to see if she knew what it might represent.  She thought it might be related to Diwali, an Hindu celebration.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful adventure! The people you serve are lucky to have you.The people who love you (that's everyone who knows you) are lucky to have you, too. Stay well and be safe. Love, t

    ReplyDelete