Monday, June 17, 2019

Happy Father's Day!

I can’t believe that I have been here 2 days short of a month!  I really miss my family and friends at home but I am delighted with the new friends I am meeting here in the beautiful country.

The missionaries have been fairly healthy this week with not too many calls.  A few colds hanging around but we’re doing well.  I’ve done a lot of follow up to make sure knees, ankles, dental work, etc. are progressing as hoped.

Tuesday I went with an Elder to purchase some glasses.  I was privileged to have lunch with his companions and the zone leaders who gave them a ride to the mall.  We had Indian food in the food court of the mall.  I had butter chicken.  Great young men.




Other senior missionaries have encouraged me to get a library card as it gets me into some museums free and discounts to other sites of interest so on Thursday I went to the Takapuna Library where I accomplished my mission.




Beautiful flowers outside the library.

The library is just up the street from the beach so I walked down to the beach to enjoy the beauty.  The tide was high so I didn’t walk out into the sand but I took some pics of how green the park there is and how gorgeous are the clouds.  I also took a video to share with you.





Walking back to my flat, I spied an eating establishment that caught my eye touting New York style pizza.  I had to investigate Sal’s Authentic to see how “authentic” it really was.  It was very thin crust and actually pretty good.  Not even remotely as good as Johns of Bleecker or Grimaldi’s but nowhere on earth is pizza as good as it is in NYC!!







Since I splurged on fatty foods on Thursday, I made my own dinner Friday evening.  Good if I do say so myself.  Baked yam, salmon, green beans and persimmon.




It has been less rainy this week so I have managed to walk a few of the days for exercise. I try to ride the recumbent bike every day for 15 minutes to keep my knees in good condition but I do enjoy the great out of doors and walking through Auburn Reserve.  





Notice the large frond growing out in the fern. It is a little difficult to see
but you can see the curve of the frond.
  It is large.  Bigger than my wrist.



Sunday after church I went home with Paula Ardern who is Tracy’s sister.  Tracy is my kiwi daughter from another mother who is married to my son, Rex.  Paula served me a delicious lunch of soup, salad, grilled cheese sandwich and the yummiest banana bread.  The pumpkin soup was really good.  (Here you can buy an array of fresh soups in bags sold in the refrigerated section.  I’m getting some to keep in my fridge for easy, delicious meals.)  Paula also gifted me a chocolate bar that is like nothing I’ve tried before.  The essence of orange in the dark chocolate and the bits of candied ginger is an unforgettable combination of flavors. 




After lunch we took a stroll on the beach.  Paula gave me a little geography lesson about the bay (harbor).

Waitematā Harbour is the main access by sea to Auckland, New Zealand. For this reason it is often referred to as Auckland Harbour, despite the fact that it is one of two harbours adjoining the city. The harbour forms the northern and eastern coasts of the Auckland isthmus and is crossed by the Auckland Harbour Bridge. It is matched on the southern side of the city by the shallower waters of the Manukau Harbour.

With an area of 70 square miles (180 km2), it connects the city's main port and the Auckland waterfront to the Hauraki Gulf and the Pacific Ocean. It is sheltered from Pacific storms by Auckland's North Shore, Rangitoto Island, and Waiheke Island.




Behind me in the distance you can see Rangitoto Island.

Rangitoto Island is a volcanic island in the Hauraki Gulf near Auckland, New Zealand. The 5.5 km (3.4 mi) wide island is an iconic and widely visible landmark of Auckland with its symmetrical shield volcano cone rising 260 m (850 ft) high over the Hauraki Gulf.  Rangitoto is the youngest and largest of the approximately 50 volcanoes of the Auckland volcanic field, covering an area of 2,311 ha (5,710 acres).  It is separated from the mainland of Auckland's North Shore by the Rangitoto Channel. Since World War II, it has been linked by a causeway to the much older, non-volcanic Motutapu Island.

Rangitoto is Māori for 'Bloody Sky', with the name coming from the full phrase Ngā Rangi-i-totongia-a Tama-te-kapua ("The days of the bleeding of Tama-te-kapua"). Tama-te-kapua was the captain of the Arawa waka (canoe) and was badly wounded on the island, after having lost a battle with the Tainui iwi (tribe) at Islington Bay.

Later in the afternoon, I took Sister Bunker to the New Zealand MTC again so she could help an elder with his English.  She served me a delicious chicken dinner when we returned home.  There was a colorful sunset.  We could see the clouds from Sister Bunker’s deck. 




She also introduced me to golden kiwi fruit.  It is sweeter than the green kiwi.
Tracy and Paula (we video talked to Rex and Tracy) told me that a peanut slab is to die for.  I must concur!  I noticed these Maltesers at the store.  My sister, Peggy likes malt ball candy so I had to try them in her honor.  When she comes to visit me, we can buy some.  She will like them!!




I have been working on the presentation I will be giving in the zone conferences during the next two weeks.  I’ll report on that next week.

On Sunday, Father’s Day, I felt to express my love and appreciation for Kay.  For the husband and father to our children that he was.  He touched the lives of so many young people in his position as a school principal but he touched the lives of his family most of all.  He was Dad, Grandpa, and Bompa to his family.  We love you Kay.  I am proud of all of the men in my family who are fathers and father-uncles.  Each brings his own personality, care and love to each of us.




I am deeply grateful for my Savior.  This week I studied more about the importance of the sacrament and the blessing it is for me to renew my baptismal covenants every Sunday in Sacrament Meeting.  As I think of the Savior as I partake of the sacrament, I have the opportunity to be forgiven each week and to have his Spirit to guide and comfort me.  The sacrament always gives hope. 

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment