Monday, June 17, 2019

A few of my favorite things (June 10 blog)

Rain rain go away, Sister Petersen wants to go for a walk!!

I actually like walking in the rain but the rain here is strange.  It “mists” one minute, down pour-drenching rain coming from the side one minute and the next minute the sun is shining brightly.  Rather like Utah weather.  If you don’t like it, just wait a minute and it will change.

I walked to Countdown to get a few things I needed for a salad I was making.  It was sunny when I went into the store.  While shopping there was a down pour of rain.  As I looked up at the sky on my way back to my flat, I saw a most bright and vibrant rainbow.





I haven’t really been out a lot this week, not only because of the rain, but because I have been taking more calls.  There have been cold/sore throat/cough calls, injured ankles and knees, back pain, dog bite, rashes, flea bites, tooth ache, etc.  Not complaining and the missionaries in general are in pretty good health but there are a few here and there who need help.



On Wednesday evening our ward Relief Society had a get-to-know you party.  We were each to tell a little about ourselves and we were to bring a “favorite thing” that we could give away.  You would never guess that I took a chocolate candy bar.  After I introduced myself, I drew a name out of a jar and I gave my chocolate bar to a “new” friend.  I was gifted a book of crossword puzzles. 




We ate delicious snacks and enjoyed an evening getting better acquainted with our RS sisters.  The theme was “A few of my favorite things.”  Someone wrote words about ministering to be sung to the tune of “My Favorite Things” from the Sound of Music. 



Sunday afternoon I drove Sister Bunker to the New Zealand Auckland MTC.  She works in the area offices in education.  She specializes in speech therapy.  She needed to go to the MTC to help a couple of missionaries who were having difficulty learning English.  She was able to help them to know how to open their mouths and to form sounds of letters that were difficult for them because of their native languages.

While I waited, I was able to listen to a devotional from Provo MTC with Elder Jeffrey R. Holland as the speaker.


Two elders in front of the world map

As we were leaving, I took pictures of the site where the Auckland Temple will be built just outside and across the drive from the MTC.





This morning, Monday, (Sunday for you) I was invited by the sister training leaders to a Morningside.  I had never heard that term before.  It is a morning gathering similar to a fireside.  It was for sisters under the direction of the sister training leaders. Breakfast was served and then testimony bearing.  It was a spiritually moving experience for me.








This afternoon I took a walking boot to a missionary who had an ankle sprain.  Near to where I took the boot was a store called Martha’s Backyard.  I had heard a senior sister talking about it being a fun store to go to so I decided to check it out.  It is a store where items are imported from the States.  I was able to pick up a few things I hadn’t found at Countdown.  I have been thinking about chili verde.  At Martha’s I found chopped green chilies.  Guess I’ll have chili verde this week.  Mexican vanilla is a real treasure!  Also found Crystal Light.  I’m in Heaven!!!  I found things I didn’t buy but now I know where I can find them if I want them.






This evening was senior missionary family home evening.  I took broccoli salad for my part.  We had an assortment of salads, chips, pulled pork sandwiches, and several desserts.  We each took 4 minutes (there was a buzzer to time us) and told a family history story.  I was going to tell about my father and his missionary experiences and magic tricks.  Then yesterday talking to Sister Bunker, I told her about my father and his WWII Normandy experiences and she told me that I should share that story. 

Tonight, when I got there, I was prompted to tell about my 7th great grandfather, Miles Morgan and his part in settling Springfield MA.  He was born in 1616 in Wales.  He came to American in 1636 aboard the ship “Mary” sailing out of Bristol into Boston. 

He joined the company of Sir William Pynchon in the colonization of western Massachusetts and was one of the founders of the city of Springfield.  He was a captain and hero in the King Philip Wars.  There is a statue of him in Court Square in the metro center of Springfield.




On the way to the FHE I couldn’t help but admire the beautiful clouds and sunset.




Someone said “let’s get a silly pic”   I thought I looked silly enough.



I am grateful for the opportunity to serve a mission.  The Lord blesses me daily.  Thank goodness for technology so that I can keep in touch with my family and friends whom I miss so much.  I am meeting and making new friends here and that makes me happy.  Serving the Lord and helping others brings indescribable joy. 

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Favorite Things idea. I may steal it. I'm so jealous of all these missionaries that get to be there with you! Hope they know how lucky they are.

    ReplyDelete