Monday, April 3, 2017

Letting the Holy Spirit Guide

My dear friend, Jeri, was still with me on Monday so we went to Coney Island.  It was raining that morning, but we decided to go anyway.  All the way there it rained.  As we parked the car, the rain stopped.  What a blessing!

We walked the board walk from one end to the other, out on the pier, down to the rocks on the beach, and then to Nathan's for a hot dog.  Topped it off with a stop at It'Sugar, a candy store.







Wall separating the aquarium and the boardwalk



Nathan's hot dog eating contest

Jeri in It'Sugar

I like these, especially the Marshmallow Madness. Zoom in and read the box.




Jeri was leaving Tuesday morning early and she still hadn't had New York cheesecake so we stopped at Juniors in Brooklyn for cheesecake.



Chocolate swirl cheesecake

 I enjoyed the company, the laughing, talking, and sharing.  I hated to see Jeri leave. What would the world be without good friends!!





The rest of the week was back to routine.  Still fighting colds, nausea, and the normal aches and pains of life.  Wednesday was trainer/trainee meeting. I gave my spiel to the new missionaries about exercise, nutrition, good sleeping habits, what to do if you get sick, rules and regulations about using family insurance and missionary insurance, ticks, poisonous plants, etc.

Thursday I went to Manhattan with a missionary and Friday I took sisters from Astoria to lunch at a sushi restaurant.  Was tasty!!  Good company too!!!




Sisters Yu and Krause


Red bean ice cream. (I like it)The azuki bean (赤红豆, Chi Hong Dou) is one of the most
important ingredients for making Chinese desserts. It is commonly used in Mainland-style
hot pastries and Cantonese and Taiwanese cold desserts. There are red bean popsicles,
shaved ice with red bean sauce, fried dough with red bean paste filling, red beans with coconut
milk, red bean pancakes etc. To make those yummy desserts, you will need red bean paste.
This sweet and gooey red bean paste is so delicious that you can even eat it by itself.



Saturday and today were welcomed days of learning and feeling the Spirit.  So many good talks.  I liked them all and was happy to see and hear President Monson.  One of my favorite talks was given by Elder Rasband about the Holy Ghost.  He talked about letting the Holy Spirit Guide.  I value the gift I have been given and have felt the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

I have been led by the feelings in my heart and mind and have known in times of doubt what I needed to do.  I have been led by the Spirit to do and say things that I ordinarily would not feel comfortable doing but because I had the Spirit with me, I could do those things.

In my callings in the Church, as a mother and as a friend, I have valued the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

I also enjoyed Elder Gary Stevenson's talk about how the Holy Ghost helps me.

Through the years when Kay, my husband, was in pain and suffering from his cancer, we often felt peace from the Comforter.   When he died, I sat by his side and held his hand.  I felt the warmth and comfort of the Holy Spirit.  I knew in my heart that families are eternal and because of our temple covenants and sealing we would be together eternally even though we would be apart for a "moment".  The peace and comfort I felt at that time were tender mercies offered to me at a time I most needed it. 

I know that the Holy Ghost can teach, lead, comfort and bear witness of Jesus Christ, our savior and redeemer. 

I love you my family and friends.




This week I have been thinking about Thai food.  I decided I would make two of the things that I enjoy in Thai restaurants. 

I made Khao Neeo Mamuang  (sweet sticky rice with mango)

Sweet Sticky Rice with Mangos

Ingredients

1 cup Thai sweet sticky rice (I used sushi rice)
1 (14-ounce; 400ml) can full-fat coconut milk, blended well to incorporate fat, divided
1/2 cup sugar (3 1/2 ounces; 100g), divided
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons (6g) cornstarch
2 Ataúlfo mangoes (about 6 ounces or 170g each), peeled, pitted, and sliced (yellow mangoes are sweeter and less stringy)
Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish

Directions

1. Cook rice according to directions on container.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring half the coconut milk to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Whisk in 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and a large pinch of salt until dissolved. The coconut milk should taste salty-sweet.

2. Transfer cooked rice to a large heatproof bowl and pour coconut milk mixture on top (it will look like too much liquid). Stir well to combine, cover with plastic, and let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. (You can let it stand up to 2 hours at room temperature.)

3. Meanwhile, clean saucepan and add remaining coconut milk to it. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with a couple of teaspoons of the hot coconut milk and stir to form a slurry. Whisk cornstarch slurry into coconut milk and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and a large pinch of salt until dissolved. Keep coconut cream warm.

4. When ready to serve, mound coconut rice onto plates and arrange sliced mango alongside. Drizzle coconut cream all over rice and garnish with toasted sesame seeds. Serve right away.

Next I made a soup that I like.  I found lemon grass at the grocery store and also the fish sauce.  I was hesitant about the fish sauce.  Yuck!  But trust me, it doesn't taste fishy at all.  One recipe says that you can substitute soy sauce but if you want to make this, I would use the ingredients listed if you can.  I used chicken in place of the shrimp.  It is tasty.

Thai Coconut Soup

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 stalk lemon grass, minced
2 teaspoons red curry paste
4 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
3 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk
1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste in the heated oil for 1 minute. Slowly pour the chicken broth over the mixture, stirring continually. Stir in the fish sauce and brown sugar; simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and mushrooms; cook and stir until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp; cook until no longer translucent about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice; season with salt; garnish with cilantro.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your testimony and the recipes! My son has made fried red bean paste dough balls twice now and they are super tasty. I am now very interested in trying all the other red bean paste desserts you listed (we couldn't find red bean paste so he made his own).

    ReplyDelete