Monday, March 27, 2017

Fortify Our Foundations

This has been such a great week! On Monday after getting some work done and following up on some missionaries, and before FHE,  I made two Texas sheet cakes for the mega-zone conference on Tuesday in Brooklyn.  Then on Tuesday, the day was spent at the conference.

Wednesday, I did laundry, went shopping, and of course, my usual nursing work.  That evening I had the pleasure of dinner with some of the sisters.



Sisters Steninger, Krause, Yu, and Bush

On Thursday evening, my dear friend, Jeri Maughn, from my home ward came to visit.  She has been my companion since then and it has been so fun!! Since she has been to NYC before, she didn't care to do the usual sight-seeing so we have been missionary companions.  We have walked and talked and just enjoyed being together sharing thoughts and experiences.

Friday we took two sisters from Flushing to lunch.  Sister Williams will be going home at the end of this transfer and I had promised her a duke before she leaves.  Besides, Jeri and I needed a duke too.



Jeri, Sisters Perkins and Williams at Arirang for Korean chicken noodles soup.
I love the Kim Chi daikon there. And of course the soup with pan noodles.

Jeri and Dukes

After lunch and dessert we had extra time so we walked to and around the park.

Friday evening we attended a baptism for two men taught by the elders and the sisters.  I led the music and as always, found a wonderful spirit in attendance.

Saturday, Jeri and I took a trip to Fire Island. It was misty and cloudy so we couldn't see far but it was still beautiful. 

















We climbed the lighthouse to the top and then went to Nicky's on the Bay in Bay Shore for lunch.  We were then dangerously close to Kilwins in Babylon so we ended up there for a candied apple.  These candied apples rank right up there almost with a duke!  I had a caramel dark chocolate sea salt covered apple.  Jeri had the caramel pecan covered apple.




Kilwins Sweets Shop

Jeri had New England clam chowder. I had "pink" seafood bisque with lobster, crab, and clams.

Many varieties of fudge and caramel apples

Saturday evening we attended the Women's Conference broadcast at the stake center. 

Sunday was fast Sunday for our ward.  I so enjoy the spirit of the meeting.  There is never a lull in testimony bearing.  In fact people often line up to bear their testimonies.

The people are mostly all converts and are full of the spirit and grateful for their membership in the Church. Each has a special story and often their conversion story is shared. The men who were baptized on Friday night were confirmed members of the Church and received the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  My heart is always touched when I see the faith and diligence that new or recent converts have.  I am grateful for my parents who taught me and brought me up in the church.  I have always been a member. I have not faced challenges because of my faith

I admire these converts as they overcome their addictions, family problems, exclusion from family and friends as they choose a way of life different from their loved ones.  The difficulties and trials that come to some of them are very hard.  They are grateful for many things. 

Today an elderly gentleman (I think he is in his 80's) bore his testimony and shared that this week he had passed the exam for citizenship.  He was so happy for this country and for the freedom to worship. 

These people are learning and building their testimonies daily.  I am reminded of a story I found in the Friend when I was looking for something to share with the Primary children a while back.  This is an article from May 2009 shared by President Monson. 

"Three Ways to Build a Strong Testimony

A Strong Road

In 1959, I met N. Eldon Tanner (1898-1982), who later would be a counselor to four Presidents of the Church. President Tanner was president of the Canada Calgary Stake. We discussed the cold Canadian winters, where temperatures can linger well below freezing and icy winds lower those temperatures even further.

I asked President Tanner why the roads in western Canada remained intact during such winters, showing little or no signs of cracking or breaking, while road surfaces in many areas where winters are less cold and less severe developed cracks and breaks and potholes.

Said he, "The answer is in the depth of the base of the paving materials. In order for them to remain strong and unbroken, it is necessary to go very deep with the foundation layers. When the foundations are not deep enough, the surfaces cannot withstand the extremes of weather."

Challenges and difficulties can break us if our foundations of faith, our testimonies of truth, are not deeply embedded within us.

A Strong Testimony

How can we gain and maintain the foundation needed to survive spiritually? May I offer three guidelines to help.

1. Prayer. When we remember that each of us is literally a spirit son or daughter of God, we will not find it difficult to approach Him in prayer. He knows us; He loves us; He wants what is best for us.

2. Scriptures. Spending time each day in scripture study will strengthen our foundations of faith and our testimonies of truth.

3. Service. There are others who need your help. In the Book of Mormon we read of noble King Benjamin. He declared: "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17).

We can fortify our foundations of faith, our testimonies of truth, so that we will not falter, we will not fail."

I have a testimony that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith.  The Priesthood has been restored and this makes it possible for us to enjoy the blessings of covenants and ordinances that we make at baptism and in the Holy Temples.  We are led by a living prophet, Thomas S Monson.  The Book of Mormon testifies of our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, who died that we might live again.  He bore our sins and ills that we might be forgiven and find peace in that forgiveness.  He taught and showed us the things we must do to return to the presence of our Father in Heaven.  The Plan of Happiness gives us a road map of where we came from, why we are here, and where we can go.  Eternal families are a gift for which I am most grateful.

I pray that you will find peace in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and know for yourselves of these truths.

I love you my family and friends.


On Monday the snow plows went around trying to scrape up
the last of the snow from where cars had been parked.

Sunday dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment