Tuesday, December 20, 2016

"Peace among men"



I have decided that being busy is better than being idle.  Around here there is little idle time, but this week has been super busy. 

Lots of colds and stomach virus cases.  I’ve had increased phone time and documentation time.  Much of it is repetitious except for names and times, but each is important so even though it seems I am repeating myself, each new missionary with an illness hasn’t heard it before and needs the reassurance that all will be well if he/she will follow my instructions. 

Tuesday (transfer day) I welcomed in the new missionaries by giving them their medical ID cards and then went to a cardiologist appointment with a missionary. The appointment was at noon but we were not seen until close to 2:00.  By the time we finished and got back to the office, it was 4:00.  I help Anthea at the mission with laundry and dinner on transfer day but I didn’t arrive at the home until a little after 5:00.  They were already eating dinner.  We had 24 missionaries leave this transfer so it was a large group to feed.  I was able to help finish the laundry and help clean up.  I usually stay for the testimony meeting to hear their departing testimonies but because it took so long for dinner and clean up, it was time to take Anthea home before they started the meeting.  I felt bad because I didn’t even get time with them to take the traditional one last picture I like to capture.  LONG day!!

Wednesday morning early I received a call from President Reynolds.  One of the departing missionaries was sick and the plane left without him leaving him stranded at the airport.  The assistants to the President picked him up and brought him to the office.  I went to visit him there and got permission to bring him to my apartment.  The sisters upstairs were home so I wasn’t alone with him.  Poor person just couldn’t hold down anything.  I took him to an UC and he was given anti-nausea medicine.  I tried to give him sips of ginger-ale and Gatorade so he wouldn’t get too dehydrated.  And of course, chicken noodle soup, the cure-all.


When I went to Urgent Care with the missionary,  look who I ran into there.


That night he stayed with some other elders and was good as new (almost but well enough to fly) the next morning so he could be on his way home. 

Thursday I invited some elders to lunch with me at Nur, the Thai Restaurant.  I had pad thai.  I’m in a rut.  The curry I had last week was good and I will have it again, but the pad thai called my name:  “Foodie, eat me.”


Elders Sakurada and Barton


Laura from Equador called me Thursday morning to tell me her older sister who lives in Iceland was visiting and wanted her to meet me.  I asked her what time she wanted to come over and she asked if I could give them dinner because she wanted her sister to have my food.  Flattered as I was, I accepted.  So I invited the hermanas and the sisters from upstairs so that they, Laura and her sister, would have someone who speaks Spanish to be here.  Even though Laura is learning, her sister speaks little English.  It was a nice evening.  I opened a few cans of beans and threw in some chicken breasts for white chicken chili with corn bread.  I love the challenge of fixing a meal with what I have on hand.

Friday I was invited to lunch at Olive Garden. The sisters were so gracious and would not let me pay.  I am spoiled!! 

Saturday I woke to about 3-4 inches of snow.  Beautiful!  I went out to shovel the area in front of my home but all I managed were the porch and steps.  The snow was wet and HEAVY!  I left it for the elders who finally arrived in the afternoon.



Hermanas Staker and Bush couldn't resist making a snowman.
(Taken through the window and screen-I didn't want to go help them!)


Sunday it was 60 degrees and the snow was gone!!  What a waste of energy.  If we had all just waited, Mother Nature would have taken care of it for us.





Sunday was our ward Christmas choir Sacrament Meeting presentation.  The whole meeting was music and narration/stories/scriptures.  Very nice.  In Primary we did a similar thing with the children. No rehearsal.  Just gave them lines to read and we sang songs. The president and a counselor told stories.




A sister sang I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day in our Sacrament Meeting program.  She sang it a capella and with such feeling and emotion that I could hardly sing the next song.  Good thing I was singing with the choir so it didn’t matter that I was tearful.  The message that the carol brings caused me to think of the despair and hate that exists in the world today just as it did in Longfellow’s day of civil war and how grateful I am at the end of the song as the bells carry renewed hope for peace among men.

1. I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

2. I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along th'unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

3. And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

4. Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

5. Till, ringing, singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!


I love this season when everyone is focused on the Savior.  I miss sharing the season with my family and friends but knowing that we have common desires to be close to the Lord and to be united as a family, no matter the miles between, makes it a little easier.  I wish you all the greatest of blessings this Christmas time and always.

I love you my family and friends.


Jake sent me this picture from a hike he took along the Bonneville trail.
I love how gorgeous the icicles are and how blue the sky is behind the snow covered trees. Had to share.

I just found this picture Kristin took when she and Jake came for my birthday. Jake told me that I carried
him for 9 months so he was going to carry me. We made quite a ruckus in the subway!!

The missionaries found my kazoos.

My nativity set under the tree

No comments:

Post a Comment