Monday, December 12, 2016

Meals with Missionaries



When I tell you how often I have eaten out this week, you will think I have done nothing but play.  (You might be right!)  Tuesday was temple day for some of the missionaries so I had the pleasure of being with two of their companions.  We went to a Thai restaurant close to where I live.  Good food.  Fun company.  We topped it off with a pedicure.  


Sisters Krause and Fitt

Pedicure



Fried Nutella ice cream and Mochi

Wednesday I took our two departing assistants to the president to lunch.  They chose Olive Garden.

Elders Sirrine and Ko

Thursday I went to Flushing to check on a missionary with an injured foot.  While there I grabbed the Korean sister missionaries thinking we could get a bowl of Korean chicken noodle soup.  They asked if we could try a Korean pizza place they had heard was good.  So pizza it was and it was tasty.  Had sweet potato in the crust.  Was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.


Crusts have string cheese in them. One front left, has cream cheese and string cheese.
Sweet potato purée in the center of the pie.

Sisters Kim, Hilliard, Yu

Friday I drove out to Patchogue [pach-awg, -og], about an hour out on Long Island, to see a missionary there.  I invited a few of the sisters there to dinner since one of them was celebrating a birthday.  She chose a Mexican food restaurant.


Sisters Allen, Felsted, Nash, Fitt

Saturday I went to Park Slope, Brooklyn, for lunch and sushi.  I had not been in Park Slope before so while I was there I drove around a bit.  There is a park in the area, not as large as Central Park.  It has a reputation as a fun place to go and better than Central Park as it is less crowded.  I only did a quick drive by but I think that when the weather warms I will return for a more in depth visit.  The park has a lake, a zoo, a botanical gardens, and Prospect Park West is known as The Gold Coast because of the large mansions.  It was getting late so I saved the mansions for a later date.  Click to learn more about Park Slope, Prospect Park, and the Soldier’s and Sailor’s Arch Monument.  


Sisters Fields and Lee


Silliness

Soldiers' and Sailors' Arch

Interesting building

Brownstones /Park Slope street

Saturday evening was our ward Christmas party.  Ruma and her husband and boys were there.  Her husband seems to be softening toward the church.  He told Ruma that when our church time changes to 1:00 at the first of the year, he will come to Sacrament Meeting with her.  We are making great strides there.  Prayers are answered I can tell you.






Tonight was Sister Mejia’s last Sunday with us.  Transfer day is Tuesday and she will go home on Wednesday.


 
Sunday dinner

After dinner Snow play on way to do missionary work


We still have many missionaries with colds/viruses but on the whole the mission is healthy.  As you know I have weekly reports.  I started numbering them with the first.  I just submitted my 62nd report Friday night.  I can’t believe that!!

The office elders have been cleaning up the storage in the basement of the building where I live.  The mission stores supplies, furniture, and everything it takes to furnish apartments for the missionaries.  There appeared an elliptical machine down there a month or so ago.  They said someone left it in an apartment and they were going to get rid of it because they needed the space.  So Friday I cleaned and rearranged my bedroom and ask them to bring it up from the basement.  I have a desire and need to work out but I am going to have to put a little effort into making it happen and not just have a desire.  I did stand on it and run it through a revolution but ….

With the Thai, Italian, Korean, Mexican, and sushi I’ve eaten this week, I should be in there working out instead of writing this blog.  My excuse, and it is a valid one, is that it is Sunday.  What excuse will I find tomorrow??  I must!  I must!!!!




This week I had occasion to talk to a person about how people can be offended or easily hurt by words or actions.  In Mosiah 20 the wicked priests of King Noah carried away twenty-four daughters of the Lamanites.  In retaliation the Lamanites attacked the people of Limhi and were defeated.  In the battle, the King of the Lamanites was wounded.  The people of Limhi wanted to slay the Lamanite king.

Beginning in chapter 14 you can read:
14 But Limhi said unto them: Ye shall not slay him, but bring him hither that I may see him. And they brought him. And Limhi said unto him: What cause have ye to come up to war against my people? Behold, my people have not broken the oath that I made unto you; therefore, why should ye break the oath which ye made unto my people?
 15 And now the king said: I have broken the oath because thy people did carry away the daughters of my people; therefore, in my anger I did cause my people to come up to war against thy people.
 16 And now Limhi had heard nothing concerning this matter; therefore he said: I will search among my people and whosoever has done this thing shall perish. Therefore he caused a search to be made among his people.
 17 Now when Gideon had heard these things, he being the king’s captain, he went forth and said unto the king: I pray thee forbear, and do not search this people, and lay not this thing to their charge.
 18 For do ye not remember the priests of thy father, whom this people sought to destroy? And are they not in the wilderness? And are not they the ones who have stolen the daughters of the Lamanites?
 19 And now, behold, and tell the king of these things, that he may tell his people that they may be pacified towards us; for behold they are already preparing to come against us; and behold also there are but few of us.
 20 And behold, they come with their numerous hosts; and except the king doth pacify them towards us we must perish.
 21 For are not the words of Abinadi fulfilled, which he prophesied against us—and all this because we would not hearken unto the words of the Lord, and turn from our iniquities?
 22 And now let us pacify the king, and we fulfil the oath which we have made unto him; for it is better that we should be in bondage than that we should lose our lives; therefore, let us put a stop to the shedding of so much blood.
 23 And now Limhi told the king all the things concerning his father, and the priests that had fled into the wilderness, and attributed the carrying away of their daughters to them.
 24 And it came to pass that the king was pacified towards his people; and he said unto them: Let us go forth to meet my people, without arms; and I swear unto you with an oath that my people shall not slay thy people.
 25 And it came to pass that they followed the king, and went forth without arms to meet the Lamanites. And it came to pass that they did meet the Lamanites; and the king of the Lamanites did bow himself down before them, and did plead in behalf of the people of Limhi.
 26 And when the Lamanites saw the people of Limhi, that they were without arms, they had compassion on them and were pacified towards them, and returned with their king in peace to their own land.

As I studied the study guide that goes along with this chapter, it asks: What should we do to help overcome the often serious results of misunderstandings?

This came to my mind as I discussed with my friend how people can become offended or hurt and often it is because of misunderstandings.  Friendships, families, countries can be torn apart and wedges driven in when things of this nature occur. 

The error of the Lamanites nearly led to the annihilation of Limhi’s people. The destruction caused by misunderstanding can happen in many areas of life.  “There are…times when one of the greatest acts of service we can perform is to stop something.  The emotional chain of reaction and overreaction can come at us like electric voltage;  it is very tempting to simply pass along.  But we must say, ‘Let it stop with me.’…At times we…should be stern, sweet sentries willing to expose ourselves to misunderstanding and pain in order to keep undesirable things from spreading any farther.”  (Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book)

I really like this thought and as I studied this chapter in Mosiah, it reinforced the idea that I and everyone, has the power to end a misunderstanding.  It can also be a part of forgiving.  I pray that you will consider this and try to remember that by studying the Book of Mormon we can learn to be more Christ-like in all we do.  It is the word of God and will help in all aspects of our lives.  Every time I study and read this book, I learn something new and pertinent to helping me work toward salvation.

I love you my family and friends.


As you know,  I love trees. There are so many big, gnarly trees here!  I'm always amazed
by the way rocks and bricks have been "ingested" by the tree roots.

I saw this sign on the sidewalk in front of a restaurant. It rather fits with "misunderstanding"

This sign is on top of a building in Brooklyn. I've passed by it many times but Saturday
the traffic was literally at a stand-still so I took a picture. Eat real food???  As opposed to rubber food? 
Fake food? Dirt?  ?????


No comments:

Post a Comment