Monday, November 7, 2016

Week of blessings: Cicilee, family, the world around me, missionaries

What a joyous week this has been!!

Cicilee, my eldest granddaughter came Monday late morning. I can't think of a better way to begin a week.  We went to Mizumi for lunch and then to The French Bakery Artisan Workshop for a Duke.  We spent the evening just talking and hanging out.






Tuesday was transfer day so Cicilee was on her own (She only got slightly lost on the subway.) while I went to the mission home for the departing missionary dinner and testimony meeting.  I'm a broken record, but it is always difficult to tell these missionary "farewell".  I am proud of them and the hard work they have done and the testimonies that they bear.


Elders Glenn, Vidaurri, Marchant, Lee

Sisters Deuel, Shiobara, Hammarstrom

Sister Snow, Elder Pavón

Wednesday we wanted to go walk the Brooklyn Bridge and go to Fire Island but we only had time for one so we chose Fire Island.  It was a gorgeous day.  Most of the flowers and leaves were gone but we did see two beautiful deer.  We collected a pile of shells.









Compare the dime. Some of those shells are minute!

The shells all stuck together is fascinating.
I can't figure out what glue holds them together.


That evening I asked Cicilee where she wanted to eat and she requested a home cooked meal:  chile relleno and refried beans.  We had fun cooking together.


Making guacamole

Chile relleno bake, refried beans and home made corn tortillas.

Thursday was the "sad" day because I had to take my girl to the airport.  This was truly a DIFFICULT farewell.  After leaving the airport I dropped off my car at the body shop to get it repaired from the accident.  The mission takes all of the mission cars that need repair to this same shop.  I feel my car is in good hands.  I took it to Hallelujah Praise the Lord Automotive Services. This made me laugh.




That evening I was able to go to dinner with Sisters Fouts and Krause.  Sister Fouts goes home in December.




Friday I helped Anthea with lunch at the mission Leadership Training next door at the Rego Park building.  I also went for a hair cut and then to a grocery store to get some last minute items for Sunday dinner.  I only bought a few things, which was intentional, since carrying all of your groceries without a car is an interesting experience. 

Saturday Sister and Elder Williams asked me to walk the Brooklyn Bridge with them.  We then ate at Grimaldi's Pizza under the bridge.  We went to the North Brooklyn Gardens and then to the MAST Brothers Chocolate Factory.


Lower Manhattan skyline

Sister and Elder Williams



Saturday evening was Stake Conference.  By the time I got home that night, according to my FitBit, I had walked 17,893 steps. 


This is how you ice your knees after 17,893 steps.


Sunday's session of conference seemed to be aimed at families.  FHE, teaching the Gospel in our homes, going to Sacrament Meeting as a family, doing family history, etc.  Made me once again realize how grateful I am for my family.  I love that they love each other and me.  They care for one another and watch over each other and me.  I am truly blessed beyond words.
It is always a pleasure to have missionaries come to my home for Sunday dinner.


From me around:  Sisters Olsen, Talaboc, Mejia, Staker, Williams and Elder Williams
Friday as I walked to get my hair cut, I passed a dense bush that was singing.  Not really but the birds in the bush were singing.  I had to stop to listen for a few minutes.  It was heavenly.  This caused me to think about the world in which I live.  This week I have been to the ocean and watched and listened to the waves.  I have seen the gorgeous leaves in their fall colors of red, yellow and brown.  The sky has been clear and cloudless on a few days.  I love the clouds though:  Pillows of white in all shapes and sizes.  I have flowers blooming in my front garden and chrysanthemums on my porch.  And deer on the roadside. 

This afternoon Jake sent me pictures of his hike in Big Cottonwood Canyon so I have seen the mountains in their majesty even if only in pictures.  I do miss the mountains but here I have the beach and both are spectacular.










I can't help but know that I am blessed with this beautiful world.  Makes me think of a favorite Primary song:  My Heavenly Father Loves Me.

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav'nly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev'rently
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heav'nly Father loves me.

I love you my family and friends

No comments:

Post a Comment