Monday, August 26, 2024

The beginning of the “lasts” in my mission



As the day of my release draws ever nearer, I am filled with much emotion. This week marks the last of the interviews with missionaries. I am blessed to have been able to spend time with the sisters and elders one on one as we visited with them while they waited for their turn to be interviewed by the president. 

They have asked for pictures with me which I am happy to have in my memory book. (My blog is my journal and the way I will keep my thoughts and memories available to re-read and cherish.) I’ve been invited to lunches and dinners and we’ve shared thoughts and re-lived experiences that have been fun. 

I look forward in 2 ½ weeks to being with my family and friends at home but I am going to miss these sisters and elders who have become my mission family.

Monday, I had lunch at Shari’s with one of the districts in the Santa Clara Zone. We laughed a lot and I enjoyed the company.

Sisters Tippetts and Thomas, Elders Roberson, Smith, Yardley, Thacker, Baker, Ludwig, and Kunz

Tuesday were interviews in Eugene for the Springfield Zone but unfortunately, I didn’t get any pictures. 

Wednesday we were again in Eugene for the Eugene Zone.

Sister Johnson

Sister Wensel 

Sister Wells

Elder WrightElder Wright

Wednesday evening, I had dinner with Sisters White and Palmer. Gotta love the windy hairdo!!


Thursday we traveled to Roseburg for that zone’s interviews. I got quite a few “sick” calls so I didn’t get a lot of pictures. I did get a picture with Josie Huffaker who finished her mission last June and had returned for a visit.


Friday was the last interview of this transfer period held in North Bend for the Coos Bay Zone. We were a little early so President turned off to see a lighthouse close to the highway. He turned a little early and we ended up at the sand dunes. 


We did eventually see the lighthouse but I didn’t get a picture of that.

Interview pictures

Sister Jeffords

Sister Thomas

Elder Miller

President and Sister Cornelius, Elders Miller and Jones

Saturday, I did laundry and went grocery shopping. Also had lunch with Elders Baker and Ludwig.


And had dinner with Elders Bogle and Williams and Sisters Zollinger and Wensel.


Monday morning I walked along the river. The moon was amazing. 


The colorful sunrise


The heron under the bridge




Wednesday I walked at the prairie. There was a mist over the grassy area. The picture really doesn’t show the full beauty.


The days have been cooler and there have been some thunder storms and rain. I saw this leave on the sidewalk Saturday as I walked along the river. Truly Fall is in the air with evidence on the ground.


Sunday in Relief Society we discussed a talk given in last April’s General Conference by Elder Ronald A. Rasband titled Words Matter. 

Elder Rasband taught that words set a tone. They voice our thoughts, feelings, and experiences, for good or bad. He emphasizes the profound impact of words with their ability to connect us, represent our beliefs and influence our actions. He talks about the importance of the Lord’s words, the words of prophets, and our own words and urges us to use words thoughtfully and with love.

The Lord’s words and the words of the prophets can guide and direct us and help us to remain faithful and steadfast.

Our words and the words of others can lift us or tear us apart. To quote Elder Rasband:

“Our words can be supportive or angry, joyful or mean, compassionate or tossed aside. In the heat of the moment, words can sting and sink painfully deep into the soul—and stay there. Our words on the internet, texting, social media, or tweets take on a life of their own. So be careful what you say and how you say it. In our families, especially with husbands, wives, and children, our words can bring us together or drive a wedge between us.

Let me suggest three simple phrases that we can use to take the sting out of difficulties and differences, lift, and reassure each other:

“Thank you.”

“I am sorry.”

And “I love you.”

Do not save these humble phrases for a special event or catastrophe. Use them often and sincerely, for they show regard for others. Talk is growing cheap; do not follow that pattern.

We can say “thank you” on the elevator, in the parking lot, at the market, in the office, in a queue, or with our neighbors or friends. We can say “I am sorry” when we make a mistake, miss a meeting, forget a birthday, or see someone in pain. We can say “I love you,” and those words carry the message “I am thinking about you,” “I care about you,” “I am here for you,” or “You are everything to me.””

I really loved this talk. I will pay more heed to the words of the Lord and prophets. It also made me desire to be more conscious of the things I say and how I say them. I pray that I will be more aware of the needs of others and how I can help them through my words and actions too.

I love my Savior

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment