Monday, July 8, 2024

Zone Conference Week


The first zone conference was Tuesday in Medford. I rode down with President and Sister Cornelius. It is about a 3 hour drive so we left early in the morning.


President and Sister Cornelius and me on one of our early morning drives to conference.


Wednesday the conference was in Roseburg which is about an hour and a half drive. Friday’s conference was in Eugene. At each meeting, I did a presentation during the lunch break. With the summer heat upon us, I felt it important to remind the missionaries how necessary it is to stay hydrated and to use sunscreen. I also added a little portion about good nutrition. 


Here is a brief report of my presentation.

When I worked at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City many years ago, for a time, I worked on the pre-op floor where the surgeons would come to see their patients prior to surgery. One of the highlights of my time there was when Dr. Russell M Nelson would come to check on his patients and often while there, would visit with us, the nurses. I loved listening to the stories of his time in the army in the MASH units and other aspects of his life. He also taught us how wonderful and marvelous are our bodies. Here is a quote from a conference address in April 2020:

“Each organ of your body is a wondrous gift from God. Anyone who studies the workings of the human body has surely seen God moving in his majesty and power. 

Because the body is governed by divine law, any healing comes by obedience to the law upon which that blessing is predicated or based.”

After reading this quote, I invited the missionaries to read and study the Word of Wisdom found in Section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants during the coming week and to use the advice and knowledge gained to improve their health habits.

Then I discussed the importance of eating a well-balanced diet. To avoid too much sugar and fat and to concentrate on proteins, whole grains and fruits and vegetables. I displayed a basket of colorful fruits and vegetables and discussed that there are vitamins and minerals found in these foods that can help us to avoid illness, fatigue, etc. My advice was to “eat a rainbow” every day.


I next talked about protecting our skin from the rays of the sun by application of sunscreen when out doing service or playing sports on P-day or other outdoor activities. Even on overcast days, 90% of ultraviolet rays penetrate the clouds and can still cause a sunburn. 

Dehydration is a major cause of feeling unwell anytime of the year but particularly in the heat of the summer or when ill. Every cell, tissue and organ in your body needs water to work properly. 

  1. Water gets rid of waste through urination, perspiration and bowel movements
  2. Water keeps your temperature normal
  3. Water lubricates and cushions joints
  4. Water protects sensitive tissues

With the heat, we must be more diligent not to become dehydrated. There isn’t always a reliable early indicator of the body’s need for water. Many people don’t feel thirsty until they’re already dehydrated. That’s why it’s important to increase water intake during hot weather or when you’re ill. Here are some symptoms of dehydration:

  1. Extreme thirst
  2. Less frequent urination
  3. Dark-colored urine
  4. Fatigue
  5. Dizziness
  6. Confusion

Dehydration can lead to serious complications including:

  1. Heat injury ranging in severity from mild heat cramps to life-threatening heatstroke
  2. Urinary and kidney problems such as urinary tract infections, kidney stones, and even kidney failure
  3. Electrolytes such as potassium and sodium help carry electrical signals from cell to cell. If your electrolytes are out of balance due to dehydration, the normal electrical messages can become mixed up, which can lead to involuntary muscle contractions, seizures and sometimes to a loss of consciousness.
  4. Low blood volume is one of the most serious and sometimes life-threatening complications of dehydration. It occurs when low blood volume causes a drop in blood pressure and a drop in the amount of oxygen in your body.

Stay safely hydrated. Generally if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and your urine is colorless or light yellow, your fluid intake is probably adequate. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy, make you feel exhausted, nauseated, dizzy, make your head ache and other uncomfortable symptoms. 

COMMIT to drink a minimum of 2 liters of water every day. More if you are working or exercising in the heat

Here are some pictures taken during the 3 conferences.



Car inspections done at each conference



Sister Weeks

Sister Felila

Sisters Bullock and Sorenson sent me this picture and message the day after the conference they attended. Love it!!!

Thursday, the 4th of July, was a restful day for me. I actually walked in the morning and then spent the rest of the day at home doing laundry and catching up on work I hadn’t been able to do because of the travel and conferences. 

That evening, Elder and Sister Barker organized a birthday celebration for Sister Cammack. Several of us went to dinner at Red Robin.

Sister and Elder Barker, Elder and Sister Karren, Sister and President Cornelius, Elder and Sister Crump, and Elder and Sister Cammack

Saturday, I went early in the morning to pick blueberries with my friend, Diana. We then went to lunch.
 




I went grocery shopping and worked on my weekly report which is due each Saturday evening. 

It has been a great week. I so enjoy being with the missionaries and having the opportunity to see all of them during the week. I love my service here in the mission. It blesses my life!

I love my Savior

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment