Monday, July 15, 2024

The work and play goes on.

 

Sisters Hopkins and Newcomb

I reported in my last blog about our zone conferences that had been held during the week. I would like to share the pictures I received taken at those zone conferences.

North Zone Conference in Eugene

South Zone Conference in Medford

Central Zone Conference in Roseburg

If you remember, I presented at the conferences regarding the importance of eating a well-balanced diet which needs to include fruits and vegetables. One should attempt to eat a rainbow every day. On Monday this week, when the missionaries go shopping for their groceries, I received pictures from a couple of sets of missionaries to show me the “rainbows” they would be eating through the week.

Sisters Bullock and Weeks

Elders Israelsen and Mooy

This week we had 3 days of interviews. Wednesday we were in Eugene for the Springfield zone, Thursday in Roseburg for that zone and Friday in North Bend for the Coos Bay Zone interviews. Sister Cornelius treated the missionaries to waffles again. Here are some pictures taken during the three days.

Elders Asay, Hill, Bowler, and Peart

Elder Hill

Elders Woolf and Jones

Elder Maylin

Sisters Jeffords and Carter

The elders wiled away the time waiting for interviews by arm wrestling. I warned them that I didn’t want any calls due to injuries in the activity. (I think the contest continued so that they could win a place on my blog.)

Elders Rencher and Woolf


Elders Rencher and Jones


Elders Larsen and Hall


On our way to North Bend on Friday for interviews, we passed an elk and wildlife viewing area. President Cornelius pulled off the road so we could see the elk in the fields.




I have enjoyed my days of walking this week. I didn’t walk on Thursday and Friday due to travel but the other days were most enjoyable! Even with the heat, walking early in the morning at sunrise makes it pleasant. It was 103 degrees for 3 of the days this week. In the high 90s the other days.



The sunrise, river, and flowers were beautiful.






Saw the heron and egret by the river and a deer on the way back to my apartment.




Standing in my driveway watching the turkeys


Saturday morning we walked at the prairie where the fields were misty and we saw a heron sitting atop a light pole. Caught his flight from the pole to a tree. 



Saturday President and Sister Hopkins hosted a lunch for the senior couples at their home in Roseburg. Unfortunately, not all of the couples were able attend but those of us who did were treated with smoked tri-tip, fresh homemade rolls and an assortment of salads.


Some chose to go swimming…


and one went swimming unexpectedly after being pushed into the pool fully clothed. (You know boys will be boys.LOL) President Cornelius is a good sport though and decided that since he was in the water, he might as well enjoy it.


The food was awesome but the company was the best! It was fun to visit with and to get to know each other better. 

Left to right: Sister and President Hopkins, Sisters and Elders Van Hemert, Karren, Newcomb, Cammack, Crump, Hawkins, Sister and President Cornelius (in dry clothes)


Sunday morning in Relief Society we discussed a conference address by Elder David A Bednar “Be Still, and Know That I Am God” given in April 2024. In this talk, Elder Bednar begins by telling of a temple open house tour he led for reporters and news people. He had answered questions throughout the temple tour but before they entered the celestial room, Elder Bednar explained: “this particular room in the house of the Lord symbolically represents the peace and beauty of the heavenly home to which we can return after this life.” He went on to say that there would be no talking in that room but that he would answer any questions after leaving the room.

Upon exiting one reporter with great emotion commented: “I have never experienced anything like that in my entire life. I did not know quiet like that existed in the world; I simply did not believe such stillness was possible.”

Elder Bednar goes on to say: “As I later pondered the journalist’s comment and reflected on the often hectic pace of our modern lives—the busyness, noise, diversions, distractions, and detours that so often seem to demand our attention—a scripture came to my mind: “Be still, and know that I am God.”

I pray the Holy Ghost will enlighten each of us as we consider a higher and holier dimension of stillness in our lives—an inner spiritual stillness of the soul that enables us to know and remember that God is our Heavenly Father, we are His children, and Jesus Christ is our Savior.”

Elder Bednar next tells about the persecution of the Saints in Missouri. In Kirtland, the Prophet Joseph Smith told the saints: “Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.”

Elder Bednar: “I believe the Lord’s admonition to “be still” entails much more than simply not talking or not moving. Perhaps His intent is for us to remember and rely upon Him and His power “at all times and in all things, and in all places that [we] may be in.” Thus, “be still” may be a way of reminding us to focus upon the Savior unfailingly as the ultimate source of the spiritual stillness of the soul that strengthens us to do and overcome hard things.”

“True faith is always focused in and on the Lord Jesus Christ—in Him as the Divine and Only Begotten Son of the Eternal Father and on Him and the redemptive mission He fulfilled.

“For he hath answered the ends of the law, and he claimeth all those who have faith in him; and they who have faith in him will cleave unto every good thing; wherefore he advocateth the cause of the children of men.”

Jesus Christ is our Redeemer, our Mediator, and our Advocate with the Eternal Father and the rock upon which we should build the spiritual foundation of our lives.

Helaman explained, “Remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.”

This is a remarkable talk I would encourage you to read and study.

I’m grateful for my Savior, the rock upon which my faith and testimony are built. I know that we have a loving Father in Heaven who knows each of us and our needs. I know that our Savior has provided a way for us to return to the presence of our heavenly parents. My Savior is my rock and sure foundation.

I love my Savior.

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment