Monday, January 8, 2024

This week has been routine but busy.

 


I walked every day. It has been a mixture of rain, drizzle, mist and an occasional breakthrough of sunshine. It keeps one guessing as to what to wear. Do I need a rain jacket? Sweater? Coat? Actually I rarely wear a coat. I like the chill!! I know. I’m crazy!!! It is always dark on my week day walks so I have my reflective vest and headlamp for sure but on Saturdays, I wait until the sun is up and there is good light. This Saturday was beautiful! It rained a little but mostly it was sunny. The geese even came out to enjoy the sunshine and to splash in the puddles.




Monday it was dark but the moon shone through the trees.



Toward the end of the Monday walk, it was light enough to see a blue heron, a great white egret, and a western scrub-jay.




On Monday evening, New Year’s Day, I had Sisters Crouch and West over for dinner but we were in a hurry because they had a lesson so I didn’t get a picture. Next time.

Tuesday I went with Sister Barker to look at two apartments in Springfield. We have a senior couple coming next month and Sister Barker needs to find a place for them to live.

Wednesday was MLC (Mission Leadership Conference/training/planning) so I helped with lunch for 75 people. I actually didn’t do much. Elder and Sister Crump made gallons of taco soup. I had to take some things to a missionary that morning and by the time I got back to the stake center, all of the tables and chairs were set up. Elder and Sister Barker and Elder and Sister Crump are hard-working people. I did help with cleanup though. I also helped to eat some delicious taco soup!


Sisters Palmer and Jeffords stopped by the office before they went home from the conference. Love those hugs!

Thursday I drove to Corvallis for missionary interviews. That is always fun. It rained all day but the happy missionaries make it worthwhile. 

Friday I worked on my weekly report, donated blood at the blood drive held in our stake center (see my reward – a tee shirt), and took Sisters Lunt and Weeks to dinner. Again, they had lessons to get to so no pictures. Something is wrong with me. I need to get the pics at the beginning of the meal and not the end.


There have been a lot of colds, sinus infections, flu, and a few other illnesses in the mission again this week including an overnight hospital stay. (All is well now.) I have been really busy but I can’t tell you about it…….

This is short because I don’t have many pictures. I live in a beautiful area and I even enjoy the rain. EVERYTHING is green. Even the trees without leaves are green. So many shades of green.

I know you saw the scrub-jay but notice how green the tree is without any leaves.

The light green tree closest to the bridge is amazing. See the next close up pictures of its branches.

Lichen is interesting to look at. 


This moss covered tree is just outside my apartment front door. The green is so vibrant and the moss comes in so many varieties. It is almost like looking at a beautiful flower garden.


Here is some information about lichen, algae, and moss:

• Lichen are non-destructive, living organisms composed of a fungus and algae living in a symbiotic relationship. In a symbiotic relationship, two organisms function in a way that is mutually beneficial. Because the algae derive nutrients through photosynthesis, and the fungi protect the algae from drying out, lichen can live and grow in extremely barren areas. 

• They grow in colonies on tree trunks, rocks, and fences, even in Antarctica. 

• Lichen grows in many interesting forms. Those with a flattened and crusty appearance are called crustose lichen. Foliose lichen have raised, leaf-like lobes. Fruticose lichen have branched growths with finger or thread-like projections. 

• Colors range from gray-green to bright orange-red.

• Algae and mosses often grow as green patches on the bark of trees. 

• Contrary to popular belief, moss does not grow only on the north side of a tree. Algae and mosses grow in any moist shady site. 

• They live on the tree bark without harming it. 

• Mosses are non-vascular plants, able to colonize on hard, impervious surfaces such as bare rock and brick, as well as tree bark. 

• Moss and algae are primitive plants that derive nourishment through photosynthesis. Some algae may have a moist or slimy appearance. While they are both usually green, colors may range from blue-green to black.

Lichen, algae, and mosses grow harmlessly on tree trunks and no control is necessary.

They are considered an indicator of good air quality. They are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide and are not usually found in industrial areas.

Lichen rarely develops on rapidly growing trees, probably because the bark is shed before the lichen has time to spread.

There may be more lichen on a mature, declining, or less vigorous tree, due to a slower growth rate. Lichen themselves do not cause the decline.

This has been a great week even if it has been busy.

I saw a post on FB that I really liked. A friend shared it but I couldn’t find the original contributor or who wrote the message so I can’t give credit to anyone but the message is worth sharing here.

"...In this new year, you will face challenges. However, you are a son or daughter of God, made in His image. He made your spirit strong and capable of being resilient to the whirlwinds of life.

This year you will have obstacles, delays, trials, temptations, distractions, disappointments, and challenges. There will be mistakes. You may wonder about your future.

Don't be discouraged! You will have moments of hope and faith as doors open and obstacles are overcome this new year. Continue, persist, and above all, believe in Jesus Christ.

Your life is before you, and as you live righteously year after year, assure you that your experiences will confirm to you again and again that Jesus is the Christ. You can and will find peace. The Savior reminds us, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you" (John 14:18)

I love my Savior.

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment