Tuesday, September 5, 2023

I love being busy!!


Dessert for the leadership training lunch was ice cream.  Benefit of helping!!

Wednesday was mission leadership training so zone leaders, sister training leaders and district leaders came to Eugene for training.  We serve them lunch before training begins.  I helped Sister Barker set up the tables and chairs and prepare the cultural hall for the meal. 
 






I love it when the missionaries come and I get to see some who have been transferred and so I haven’t seen them for a time.

Sister Sutherland got me with “rabbit ears” fingers

She caught me before I could get my ear fingers up.  Besides she is too tall to be quick about it.

Wednesday night I managed to catch the Super Blue Moon

It was advertised that the best time to see the moon was 9:36 PM.  I went out right on time but there were too many trees in the way to get the full view.  I couldn’t believe how it lit the sky through the trees so I had to find a better viewing spot.

I drove down to the stake center parking lot where there were no trees.  WOW!!



Thursday I went to Corvallis (about an hour drive each way) with President and Sister Cornelius to do interviews.


It was rainy all day

At each interview, President asks each missionary to come prepared to share a scripture from the chapter that the mission is studying in Preach My Gospel.  This round of interviews, Sister Cornelius and I are listening to the scriptures that each missionary has memorized.  Then Sister Cornelius makes sure that each missionary is on the website list of missionaries that have served with President and Sister Cornelius.  Every mission president has a list of missionaries and contact information so that reunions, etc can be announced and any missionary can also find and reach out to their mission president even after they are released.

Friday was my 56 wedding anniversary.  I am so blessed to have an eternal companion and family whom I love with all of my heart.



 
Friday I accompanied President and Sister Cornelius for interviews in Grants Pass (2 ½ hour drive each way).  

Views of the country from the car window




Elders Kynaston and Varty playing a duet


Sister Withers and the missionaries waiting to be interviewed


I was invited to a baptism Friday evening and I got back to Eugene just in the nick of time.  My car was at the office and the baptism was at the Stake Center by the office so President dropped me off at the chapel and I made it before the meeting began.  Beautiful baptism of a 16 year old young man.

Elders Hansen and Nielson invited me to the baptism

Saturday I went to lunch with Diana before going to Costco and other errands with her.  We had a lot of giggling and fun time just “hanging out.”

I saw this FB post.  There is no Chick-fil-A in Eugene so this sounded like fun!

People lining up 25 minutes prior to opening of the food truck.  Of course we were early too

Just about ready to open and my spicy chicken sandwich.


Elder and Sister Barker invited me to go to Creswell with them to have dinner at a Mexican restaurant with the elders they serve with in the Creswell Ward.  It was a very pleasant evening.

Elders Bousfield and Touhuni

I managed to get my walks every morning before the day really began.  Beautiful time of day.  My sister has been walking with me most mornings.

Tuesday morning clouds and sunrise

Wednesday morning we saw a turkey vulture 

Thursday morning we saw a blue heron

We also saw a white heron

Saturday morning sunrise over the pond

As I crossed over the river bridge I met a lady who pointed out an osprey.  She said it was going to land on the water to catch a fish.

I hurriedly got my phone out and snapped a couple of pics

I got my brain working, I got a short video as it flew off but it didn’t get a fish.   It flew under the bridge and we went to the other side.  The lady told me that it went to its nest (I couldn’t see it) but that it was coming back out way.  I got so excited to see it fly again that I didn’t get my camera up and going.  I missed the video of the day as the osprey flew directly over our heads and onto a tree branch behind us.  Oh how I wish I had been quicker thinking!!!


As I opened my browser one morning this week after I returned from my walk, I saw an an article that caught my attention titled Don’t Underestimate the Power of a Walk from Harvard Business Review by Deborah Grayson Riegel

I like what the author has to say: 

“Several years ago, I was watching a Today Show segment about helping your children and teens create healthy habits. The subject of the piece was a notable nutritionist, whose kids were reluctant to eat their greens and work up a sweat. The most memorable quote came from one of her pre-teens who said, “Walking makes me sad.” 

I must admit that, if I think about choosing between catching up on watching The Crown or walking, walking would make me sad, too. In fact, if I had to choose between walking and any of my not-so-guilty pleasures — like baking triple-chocolate brownies or shopping for Japanese pancake molds online (they’ll arrive in two days) — I would choose the latter. 

But, when I think about the simplest and most strategic thing I am able to do for myself, it’s walking. When I weigh what activity I can do almost every day, with little preparation, minimal effort, no special equipment, and that can contract or expand to fit the exact amount of time I have available, it’s walking. When I consider what I can do for myself even when my back pain is flaring up, it’s walking. When I want to do something that’s good for my mind, body, and soul, it’s walking. When I want someone’s company — or just want to be alone, walking works.” 

As I contemplated how a walk makes me feel so good and ready for the day, I thought of how grateful I am for my body and how I want to be able to walk and go out and do things and to see the world and to serve missions.  All of these things make me happy and makes me realize that my body is so very important for my life.

I read some words and advice given by our prophet, President Russel M. Nelson which I would share with you:

 “The gift of our physical bodies is a transcendent miracle. A unique body is given to each of us by our loving Heavenly Father. He created it as a tabernacle for our spirits, to assist each of us in our quest to fulfill the full measure of our creation. Our bodies allow each of us to experience the great plan of salvation that He has designed for all His precious children. He wants us eventually to become more like Him and return to live with Him. That great blessing would not be possible without our first receiving a physical body in this probationary estate.”

“Your Body: A Magnificent Gift to Cherish,” New Era, Aug. 2019, 2.

“With your body being such a vital part of God’s eternal plan, it is little wonder that the Apostle Paul described it as a ‘temple of God’ [1 Corinthians 3:16; see also 6:19]. Each time you look in the mirror, see your body as your temple. That truth—refreshed gratefully each day—can positively influence your decisions about how you will care for your body and how you will use it.”

“Decisions for Eternity,” Ensign, Nov. 2013, 107.

My patriarchal blessing tells me that I will live to a ripe old age if I care for my mind and body.  I want to do whatever I can to care for my body by eating wisely (this is the hardest part- I do love chocolate - LOL) and exercising. 

I know that my Heavenly Father and my Savior love  me.  They have blessed me in every way possible.

I love my Heavenly Father and my Savior.

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment