Monday, February 8, 2021

Happy Waitangi Day!


Waitangi Day (Māori: Te Rā o Waitangi), the national day of New Zealand, marks the anniversary of the initial signing – on 6 February 1840 – of the Treaty of Waitangi, which is regarded as the founding document of the nation.    I have visited and toured the Waitangi Treaty grounds in Paihia several times.  I have posted pictures and videos of this in previous blogs.

Today our closing hymn in Sacrament Meeting was the national anthem of New Zealand.  It was a touching experience.  It always brings me to tears when I stand and sing The Star Spangled Banner, the national anthem of the United States of America.  Today I was moved to tears as I participated in singing God Defend New Zealand.  We first sang one verse in Maori and then other verses in English.

I found this beautiful video.  I hope you will appreciate the freedom and beauty of your homeland, where ever you are, as you watch this rendition of God Defend New Zealand.

I enjoyed another road trip this week.  Tuesday I drove to Whangarei, about 2 ¼ hours north of Auckland.  I transported a missionary to Northland and went a day early for the Northland Zone Conference which was on Wednesday.

I enjoyed dinner with some sisters serving in Whangarei on Tuesday evening.

Sisters Moutere, Escabarte, and Staite

My smoked salmon salad

I missed my beach walk Wednesday morning but I still arose before the sun to walk the Hatea Loop Walkway – Huarahi o te Wha I -- in Town Basin which follows the Hatea River.  I didn’t have time to walk the entire loop but I did get my steps.






I did my presentation in zone conference on healthy eating and then took a missionary to the dentist in the afternoon before returning to Auckland.

The week was full with calls, texts, appointments, etc but I still managed to play Azul one evening with Sister Lucas.  Elder and Sister Mayberry introduced us to this game during COVID lock down.  Sister Lucas and I still find occasions to play.  It is a fun game.  I am going to purchase it to play with my family when I get home.

I usually score between 80 – 110 points.  It truly is rare that I score over 100 but one of the games we played that evening was exceptional.  Sister Lucas insisted she take my picture because it was so unusual to score that high!    165 points!!   I think Sister Lucas was more excited than I as I usually am the low scorer.  I am not a strategist and even though strategy is not required, it can be helpful.  Luck of the tiles one gets is more important, I did something right in that one game.

Sister Lucas used the calculator to score my points as the board only goes to 100.


The beach has been great this week as the tide has been low and the clouds ever changing.


Saturday the beach, sun and clouds were too beautiful all around to show in one or two pics.

Had to share these clouds

This week as I have read/studied the Book of Mormon, I have come to the end of the book by reading Moroni.  It always makes me cry when I think of Moroni living alone for the many years before his death. He witnessed such atrocities and yet was faithful.  

Moroni 1:

1 Now I, Moroni, after having made an end of abridging the account of the people of Jared, I had supposed not to have written more, but I have not as yet perished; and I make not myself known to the Lamanites lest they should destroy me.

2 For behold, their wars are exceedingly fierce among themselves; and because of their hatred they put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ.

3 And I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ; wherefore, I wander whithersoever I can for the safety of mine own life.

4 Wherefore, I write a few more things, contrary to that which I had supposed; for I had supposed not to have written any more; but I write a few more things, that perhaps they may be of worth unto my brethren, the Lamanites, in some future day, according to the will of the Lord.

What great things of worth have I learned by reading the last words of Moroni.  In those last few, short chapters, he has taught me about the sacrament.   How the Spirit of Christ can help me know the difference between good and evil.  I have learned about faith, repentance, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and charity.  He wrote about spiritual gifts, eternal life and enduring to the end.   

Moroni 10:

32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.



I can in nowise deny the power of God.  I testify that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends. 

1 comment:

  1. Funny, at first it looked like you wrote "Happy Waiting Day" ... which is what Cliff and I have been doing most of the day ... I waited for him to come back while he was at the auto shop waiting for them to fix the oil leak in our car. At least I was able to get some work done here at home.
    Thanks for sharing your great blogs, Marie! -- Iris

    ReplyDelete