Monday, July 13, 2020

Miracles do happen!



Because of the nature of my calling as mission nurse and my HIPAA training, I never share information about missionary health conditions. However, I have asked permission from a missionary to explain an injury in order to share a miracle with you.

One of the sisters injured her ankle when she tripped on a broken sidewalk. We went to urgent care where x-rays showed no fracture but a separation of the tibia and fibula at the ankle.

It was very painful. She was required to wear a large, cumbersome brace for a minimum of 2 weeks. She was to limit walking with no long periods of standing.

She is in a leadership position and the designated driver. She couldn’t drive with the boot and was not to remove the boot. This really curtailed the work she wanted and needed to do. She felt guilty because it also stopped her companion from doing their work.

They used technology and got rides from other sisters when possible but it was still a most trying and discouraging time for them.

She was to see the doctor 2 weeks from the date of the accident to determine how much longer she would be restricted and to see if alternate treatment was needed.

About 5 days prior to the scheduled follow-up appointment, I received the following message:
“Hi Sister Petersen, I have news for you! It is actually a miracle we'd love to share with you that just happened tonight. You remember that lesson we mentioned we had tonight at 6pm? So we ended up going to it and it is a Philipino family we've been teaching for a while now. They notice the spirit but they are struggling to find answers and we've taught them pretty much everything.  
So tonight, we decided to sit down with them and read the introduction of the Book of Mormon with them and ask the dad to pray. We read the Introduction and we were so shocked, even the RM we took tonight as fellowship was so shocked because the dad, who was the hardest to work with, he was just stating actual truths and principles of Christ from the Book of Mormon and Bible and the spirit was just so strong.  
When it came to the end of the lesson, we invited the dad to pray and ask specifically for confirmation of the message we've shared with them about the Book of Mormon. Just before he said the prayer, we invited everyone to kneel down. I invited them and I didn't know what I was thinking because I, can't even kneel because of my ankle. But as I knelt down, I felt no pain. And as the dad said his prayer in Tagalog, which we did not understand, we felt the spirit so strongly. After the lesson I was just standing outside the car with no crutches and just moving my ankle around and it doesn't even hurt anymore. I swear, with every possible position that might hurt, it doesn't at all. And that is a miracle we've just had and just wanted to share with you.  
We believe that our Heavenly Father healed me tonight because my companion and I needed NEEDED to kneel down in prayer with that family so they could receive a confirmation about the Book of Mormon. I am still in awe right now, I can hardly believe it but I know the Lord provide ways so we can accomplish His work and will. We love you so much and hope you enjoy your night and Sabbath tomorrow! ❤”
I felt the Spirit as I read this note. I know that the Lord blesses us in ways that we never expect. I’ve seen many miracles in my life. They are not always obvious at the time, as was the miracle that happened to this sister, but I see and feel the hand of the Lord in my life at all times.

I read an interesting article that I will share some parts:

Finding Miracles in Everyday Life
By Breanna Call Herbert, Alex Hugie, and Aspen Stander
Church Magazines
If we view life through a lens of faith in Jesus Christ, our eyes will be opened to the many miracles all around us. 
What Is a Miracle? 
We all know what a miracle is, right? Moses parting the Red Sea. The Savior giving sight to a blind man. A woman being cured from a terminal illness. One of the most extraordinary miracles is the Atonement of Jesus Christ—no miracle has ever been so far-reaching or powerful. But are those the only types of experiences that could be considered miracles? 
President Dallin H. Oaks, First Counselor in the First Presidency, said, “Many miracles happen every day in the work of our Church and in the lives of our members.”  But when was the last time you moved a mountain or saw a few fish and a few loaves of bread feed thousands? Most of us probably haven’t seen anything like that. So how can President Oaks’s statement be true? 
According to the Bible Dictionary, miracles are “manifestations of divine or spiritual power.”  With that definition, let’s open our eyes to the many miracles that surround us—miracles that we might not even recognize. 
We definitely see God’s hand in the lives of His people through the miracles in the scriptures. But we can also see His spiritual power when we receive an answer to a prayer, strengthen our testimonies, or have a change of heart. 
Still, there are other miracles that we tend to forget: The sun rises and sets each day; small seeds grow into mighty trees; the many components of our body work together, enabling us to breathe, run, dream, and eat. Inspired advances in medicine and technology are happening every day, and we can now communicate with almost anyone anywhere. God’s power can be seen in every detail of our lives. 
Why Does God Perform Miracles? 
Miracles come in many forms, but God performs them for the same overall purposes. Sometimes miracles heal, comfort, or physically protect God’s children, but these outward effects are not the only reason for miracles. Often, a miracle doesn’t prevent suffering or tragedy at all. God performs miracles for two basic reasons: to strengthen faith and to accomplish good. 
Often, miracles manifest God’s power to His children or teach a spiritual principle. The Bible Dictionary says that Jesus Christ’s many miracles “were intended to be a proof to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ” and to teach principles such as accountability, repentance, faith, and love. 
Other times, miracles can confirm a previous revelation, such as the signs of Christ’s birth in the Americas. God can also use miracles to advance His work—family history work, missionary work, and more. 
President Brigham Young (1801–77) taught, “Miracles … are not for the unbeliever; they are to console the Saints, and to strengthen and confirm the faith of those who love, fear, and serve God.”  Understanding why God performs miracles can help us recognize them in our own lives. 
How Can I Recognize a Miracle?
Miracles happen only according to the will of God and our faith in Him. 
The Lord performs both seemingly ordinary and extraordinary miracles in our day. Faithful followers of Jesus Christ in every dispensation have experienced dramatic healings and unexplainable successes. However, we should not overlook the everyday events that act as reminders of God’s hand in our lives. Sometimes we just have to recognize them!
Another very busy week has quickly come and gone! I have spent a night and a day (different admissions) in the ED, better known to you as the ER. I attended a doctor’s appointment and lots of phone/text/email time. Health Council meeting on Thursday. The work continues.

I have managed my daily beach walks in spite of business. It gives me my daily dose of “vitamin sea”.



After a storm, the beach was piled high with seaweed. 

Friday morning it was clear and cold by New Zealand standards.
The sunrise was spectacular as always.

I posted the temp from the Weather Channel app.

The man wading into the water had on swim trunks only.
Most swimmers at this temp wear wet suits.

The apartment complex where I live had the planters replaced on the patios around the common area. It was fun watching the progress. It all happened in two days time.







Add caption



Doing laundry and my washer decided to do a number on me. It would get a few minutes
into the cycle and then gave an error code. The property manager was quick to respond
and I was only out of the laundry business one day.

I made chicken tacos one night. 

I was invited to dinner by Sister Lucas another night.She served snapper and a variety of roasted vegetables.

On my walk through the reserve, I spotted this beautiful pair of Pūkeko birds.


“Pūkeko is the New Zealand name for the purple swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio). There are many subspecies of purple swamphen. The subspecies found in New Zealand (Porphyrio porphyrio melanotus) is thought to have landed here around a thousand years ago from Australia. 
Pūkeko are a member of the rail family of birds. They look very similar to takahē, although takahē are much heavier. Pūkeko are about 51 centimetres long with distinctive colourings; a deep blue colour, with a black head and upperparts, white feathers under their tail, and a red bill and legs. 
Pūkeko are widespread and are as at home in pasture and farmland as they are in wetlands. They are commonly seen along marshy roadsides and low-lying open country. 
Unlike many other native birds, the pūkeko has adapted well to new habitats, such as grassed paddocks, croplands and even city parks, a necessity brought about by disappearing wetlands. However, the pūkeko is essentially a bird of swampy ground, lagoons, reeds, rushes and swamps.”
This picture came up in my memories on Facebook From 5 years ago just before my first mission to
New York City.  I remember how excited I was to become a missionary. The excitement hasn’t waned!!

I pray that you will have a safe, healthy, and happy week. Look for the miracles daily in your life.

I love my Savior. I love my family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. Faith building and prayer strengthening, as usual. God bless and keep you safe and well.

    ReplyDelete