Tuesday, February 4, 2020

What a difference a day (or maybe 4 years) can make!!

What a difference a day (or maybe 4 years) can make!!



This picture popped up in my FaceBook memory feed one day last week.  This was taken when I was serving my mission in New York City in 2016.  I remember the day well.   It seems like yesterday but this is the picture that was taken yesterday.  What a difference!



Life is all about change.  We change every minute/second of the day.  Something is always changing.  “Change is the only constant in life.”  I have heard this quote many times but I wanted to know from where it came.   As I Googled the quote, I came across this article from Daily Monitor.  Here is a small quote from that article:

Embrace change : It is the only constant in life

Saturday April 19 2014   By David F. K. Mpanga

A few months ago, I quoted Heraclitus, the pre-Socractic Greek philosopher, who said that “Change is the only constant in life” to highlight the need for all of us to always plan for and be ready for change in every aspect of our lives. The same philosopher illustrated the point about change being ever present by saying “No man ever steps into the same river twice”. An ever flowing river is there and even has a name, yet the water in it keeps changing so that from one second to the next it is really a different river.”

I sit here thinking how much my life has changed in the last 10 years.  Change can be easy but it can also be very difficult.  Kay and I went through cancer treatment together.  He passed and I took on a different perspective in my life.  I have traveled and served missions.  My children and grandchildren have grown and progressed and transitioned too.  We are the same but yet so new and different.

In the mission field, change is most vital.  Missionaries must change and learn and grow at the same time they are teaching and preparing people to come unto Christ.  Converts must change and learn and grow. 

Here is my temple recommend holder given to me while serving in the NY NY South Mission.
I left that mission forever changed.  

I like what President Dallin H. Oaks, then of the Quorum of Twelve Apotles, said in October 2003:  “The gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to change. “Repent” is its most frequent message, and repenting means giving up all of our practices—personal, family, ethnic, and national—that are contrary to the commandments of God. The purpose of the gospel is to transform common creatures into celestial citizens, and that requires change.”

Change is difficult and often frightening.  I recently read a BYU Devotional talk titled On Change and Becoming: I Am a Reluctant Grower given in 2017 by Diane Reich that I found delightful yet helpful and encouraging.  Here is an excerpt: 
“As I prayed for guidance on a topic, this thought came to me: “I am a reluctant grower.” I had never used that term before, though it seemed to suit me well, so I can only guess that the Spirit had coined that phrase just for me. 
Needing clarification on that phrase, I went to Google for a precise definition of reluctant. It said that reluctant is an adjective that means “unwilling and hesitant; disinclined.” Its synonyms include being “loath to, unwilling to, disinclined to, indisposed to; not in favor of, against, opposed to.” It’s antonyms include being “willing” and “eager.” The word reluctant originated in the mid-seventeenth century from the Latin word reluctant, which means “struggling against,” and from the verb reluctari: the prefix re- means “expressing intensive force” and the suffix luctari means “to struggle.” As a side note, the word ¬reluctant is worth eleven points in Scrabble. 
Am I, as this definition says, unwilling, hesitant, and even disinclined to grow? I will refer to myself, since I am confessing that I am a reluctant grower, but feel free to insert your name where applicable. 
Am I Reluctant? 
What is it that sometimes makes me hesitant to face a growing opportunity? I am not against hard work. I bore both of my children while pursuing a doctorate, working two jobs, singing operas on the main stage at Indiana University (one of the top music schools in the country), and maintaining a 3.9 GPA. No, I am not opposed to hard work. 
Is it that I am not wanting to participate in activities? I am more than willing to fulfill my callings, go visiting teaching, take a dinner—that likely my good husband expertly cooked—to another family, or participate in my ward’s day of service. No, I am willing to do things that are asked of me. 
Am I afraid of the process of growing? Many times while sitting in Relief Society I will hear a sister say, “I prayed for patience” or “I prayed for charity.” 
I think, “Are you crazy?! Do you not know what challenges come when you pray for Christlike attributes?” 
They then proceed to tell of the tragic circumstances that occurred to teach them those lessons. 
You won’t catch me praying for godlike qualities. It is hard to grow; it can be painful to grow. Thus it seems my proud and stubborn heart is, indeed, hesitant to grow.”
I enjoyed watching the video of this talk.  Sister Reich goes on to explain how she has learned to grow:
 “I have learned that Heavenly Father does not just want me to do something; He wants me to become something. When I am striving to become, my heart will turn toward the things that I must do. Elder David A. Bednar taught: 
The essence of the gospel of Jesus Christ entails a fundamental and permanent change in our very nature made possible through the Savior’s Atonement. True conversion brings a change in one’s beliefs, heart, and life to accept and conform to the will of God . . .  and includes a conscious commitment to become a disciple of Christ. [“Converted unto the Lord,” Ensign, November 2012]”
I highly recommend watching/listening to/reading this talk.   You may do so here.

This has been a very busy week.  We still have a stomach virus going through the mission, bike accident, skin rashes, flea bites, dog bite, allergies, just to name a few.

I went for a “play day” on Monday with Sisters Bunker and Lucas to walk around Bayswater Marina, “Situated on Auckland’s north shore, with views across the beautiful Waitemata Harbour to Auckland City”.

These could make great jigsaw puzzles.   






These aerial roots are on the pohutukawa tree. 



Aerial roots are roots that grow on the above-ground parts of a plant. Aerial roots on woody vines function as anchors, affixing the plant to supporting structures such as trellises, rocks and walls. Some types of aerial roots also absorb moisture and nutrients, just like underground roots. Plants that live in marshes and bogs have underground roots, but they can’t absorb gasses from the air. These plants produce above ground “breathing roots” to help them with air exchange.

We then climbed Mt Victoria in Devenport.  I have posted previously about this site.  It is always a fun excursion with lots of walking and climbing.  Good for the heart. LOL



Tuesday Sisters Rarotoga and Langi invited me to a birthday celebration for Elder Mccauley with their district Elders Keni, Malama, and Cope.



We then to lunch to celebrate Sister Langi who finishes her mission with this transfer.



I only managed to walk to the beach one day this week. 



Wednesday was transfer planning meeting.

Thursday I had a missionary who needed to go to ER in Whangarei so I went up there to help and monitor.  The missionary was admitted for observation but since I didn’t anticipate an overnight stay, I needed to return to Takapuna to get my glaucoma eye drops.  I returned early in the morning to Whangarei (2 hours each way) to be there when the doctors made rounds.  I arrived at the hospital 7:30 and did make it in time.  The missionary was released in the late afternoon and I made it back to Takapuna by 7:30.

Now I have to tell you a story that involves a confession at the same time.  My father was raised during hard times.  His father died when he was 11 or 12 so he was raised by a single woman in St George UT during the Great Depression.  He learned to love beans and ketchup and anything cheap in price and filling.  In our home growing up, Dad always told us we could have whatever we wanted to eat but we had to eat everything we put on our plate.  Nothing was to be wasted. We couldn’t leave the table until our plates were clean.  We had to think of the starving children who didn’t enjoy what we had.

Now that you understand my up-bringing, I will confess.  I have always fought the battle of the bulge.  I never buy fries. I might eat a few if someone offers them from their plate but never a whole order.  I seldom eat burgers.  (At Burgerfuel- see above picture –I had chicken fenders which is marinated chicken tenders gilled with no breading.)   I do not obviously avoid all fat and sweets as you can see by my pictures, but on Friday I went way off the wagon so to speak.

I didn’t get much food on Thursday nor Friday so by the time I hit the road Friday late afternoon I was way hungry.  Nature called as I was passing Macca’s (McDonald’s in New Zealand) Okay!  I’m dragging this out too long……

While stopped, I decided to grab a bite to eat so I wouldn’t have to wait until late.  I ordered on the board at the door.  I ordered a spicy McChicken Sandwich.  Then it asked if I wanted that in a meal.  Having not done this I decided I needed something salty so I said yes to the meal which comes with fries and drink and the sandwich.  I was asked if I wanted medium or large.  Well… I caved and went for the large.  If I was going to blow my diet, I might as well BLOW it.  Then I was told I could add a shake instead of the fizzy (soda) so I opted for the LARGE chocolate shake.

I went to my chosen seat to wait.  When my order was delivered there were 2 McChicken Sandwiches, large fries, and the shake on the tray.  I thought that there must have been some mistake but the cashier assured me I had ordered it.  I looked at the receipt and I had in deed ordered it and paid for it.  Somehow in placing my order on the order board, I ordered 2 sadwiches!!

I ate the first sandwich, part of the fries and shake before the Dad in me kicked in.  I CANNOT waste food.  A leftover sandwich is not my first choice so…  you guessed it.  I ate it all.  This is my confession.  I am not proud of myself but I didn’t let my father down. 

It has been a great week.  I enjoy the missionaries.  I hate for them to be sick but I like to be with them. 

It was our Stake Conference today.  Always a delight to hear a choir sing and to listen to the words and teaching of the speakers.  I thought about transitions and the importance of change in  my progress toward eternal life and a reuniting with my husband, my ancestors, and my Savior.  I want to change the things that will help me in that progress.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

Speaking of change: The top picture was taken in Northland in May or June.  The bottom was
taken on Friday.   Spring green and Summer dry brown.  What a difference a few months can make.
I look forward to seeing the beautiful green hills again.



 

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your posts. Your inspiring quotes and messages, the physical health and welfare of your missionaries, your travelogues and even your burger binges. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete