Tuesday, January 21, 2020

The life of a mission nurse.



Frequently a missionary will ask me: “What do you do all day, Sister Petersen?”  So I thought maybe others might be wondering the same, so I thought I would share some of the things I do.

Most days begin somewhere between 6:30 (that is the time the missionaries begin their day) and 7:00 with a call from a missionary.  I’ll admit that sometimes I just lie there after I have given advice and just think and plan the day. 

If I don’t get a lot of early calls, I try to get to the beach for a walk.  If I get a lot of calls,  I begin my day on the phone and at the laptop. Each call or text is documented in eMed which is the Church medical system for charting.  That way I can keep track of who is sick and what is the treatment plan.

Missionaries want to know how many calls I get in a day.  That varies from 3-4 to maybe 15.  I should make a list of calls so I can count but best guess is it averages 8-10 calls/texts each day.

I have mentioned before that the time just before transfers and just after are fairly quiet.

I am asked:  “When is your p-day (preparation day to do shopping, laundry, etc)?”  All missionaries get one day a week to do necessary tasks to get them through the week and do fun things that they don’t do on other days.  Here p-day is Monday for most missionaries.  Senior missionaries usually take Saturday as their p-day.  I respond that I don’t have a designated p-day.  They look strangely at me and ask why.  I am on call 24/7 so I don’t have a p-day.  Yet every day is my p-day.  I work from my flat so I do laundry and house cleaning between calls.  I go grocery shopping and take calls while I am doing that.  No matter where I am, I am available for calls. This is my responsibility for which I am richly blessed.  I love it!

One day this week was a-typical.  I get this kind of day occasionally.  I took one call/text after another beginning at 6:40.  I wish I had counted but between texts and calls, I think it was close to 30 contacts.  I had calls from doctor’s offices, a lab, the area medical doctor, and of course missionaries. 

Mid-morning I took some medication to a missionary.  In the afternoon I picked up a sister to take to a doctor’s appointment.  I arrived home around 7:30 PM because of rush hour traffic and the time it took from the doctor’s office back to the sister’s flat and back to Takapuna.  Thank goodness for blue-tooth so I can talk and drive at the same time. 

Now lest you think I am complaining, I am NOT.  This is what keeps me here knowing that I can be of service.  It brings me great joy!   There are few days like the one I described.  It is usually busiest in the early morning when missionaries are getting started and again in the evening when they come in from work.  I do get calls and texts randomly throughout the day but not always one right after the other.  Some days, like yesterday, I had only 2 texts.   So I cleaned my flat and did some laundry. I got my car cleaned and vacuumed. 

I hope that I have given you an idea of what I do.  Calls, texts, charting, arranging and going to appointments, meetings, zone conferences, planning presentations at zone conference, studying, researching illnesses, etc. are just some of what I do.  As you know from previous posts, I also throw in as much play as possible.

I only made it to the beach twice this week.  One of the times it was low tide.  That is my favorite time to go because I can see the beauty of the shells and creatures.








The days I don’t go to the beach I try to get 20-30 minutes on the stationary bike to keep my knees lubricated.



This week has been busy and full of blessings.  One evening I managed dinner with some sisters.

Sisters Manea, Paladeni, Ostergar



I have enjoyed this week’s study in Come Follow Me and learning more and pondering about Lehi’s dream of the Tree of Life.  I pray that we can each hold fast to the rod of iron and reach our Heavenly goal.

I love my Savior and I love you my family and friends.





 

1 comment:

  1. My goodness!!! (No, YOUR goodness)! What a wonderful life of service you have had, and are having. Love your posts! Stay well and know you have many prayers, and much love from this part of the world. t

    ReplyDelete