Monday, December 2, 2019

The mode of transportation that I am most grateful for…….




I was invited to Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday at the home of Elder and Sister Wright.  Other missionaries joined us. 



As we arrived, we were each asked to pick a piece of paper from a hat.  Everyone had a question to answer.  As we ate, we went around the table answering our questions.  Some of the questions were: “What are some Thanksgiving traditions in your family?”  “What animal are you most grateful for?”  “What is your favorite hymn?” 

My question was:  “What mode of transportation are you most grateful for?”  There are so many ways of getting around.  I’m grateful for planes because I can visit distant places in short time.  I am grateful for cars, buses and trains.  But honestly, I am most grateful for my feet.  That may seem like a strange thing, but if I can walk, that means to me that I am in good health.   My feet can take me many places that cars and other modes of transportation can’t easily take me.  I can hike mountain trails.  I can walk in the sea.  I can enter beautiful buildings.  I am grateful for all the blessings I have been given.  What a wonderful time of year when we focus so much on our blessings and the upcoming season when we focus on the Savior. 

I ended last week in the hospital helping a missionary.  I spent the beginning of this week in the hospital as well.  Thankfully, the missionary was released Thursday morning.  We were both happy and relieved that health was restored and we hope for a speedy full recovery.

Thursday afternoon, I prepared the candied yams that I took to our Thanksgiving meal.  Sister and Elder Wright had prepared chicken, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans.  Sister and Elder Packard brought pie and salad.  Sister and Elder Lewis brought pie, ice cream and whipped cream and homemade rolls.  The elders brought the drinks.  It was a delicious spread and delightful company.

Some didn’t want marshmallows and the oven didn’t brown evenly so this was an interesting
 looking pan of candied yams.  The dark, toasty marshmallows is my personal favorite part!!

Elders Fukofuka, Rogers, Mahe, and Mcallister

Elder and Sister Wright, Elder and Sister Lewis, Elder and Sister Packard

Friday morning I went for a haircut and then I prepared for a weekend getaway with the Packards, Wrights, and Lewis’s.   We had booked a Dune Rider excursion to Cape Reinga and the sand dunes for Saturday.

We arrived in Whangarei in time to go to Kiwi North Museum.  We were too late to get in to see the kiwi, but one of the docents gave us a lot of fascinating information about the kiwis.  Here is a list of some of the details she mentioned to us:
The kiwi is truly unique.  It is a bird, but it has features more characteristic of a mammal. 
  • It has tiny wings, but cannot fly.
  • It has loose feathers that are more like fur and unlike other birds the feathers moult throughout the year.
  • It is the only bird in the world with nostrils at the end of its beak.
  • Its sense of smell is second to none.
  • It has no tail feathers, but does have whiskers, like a cat.
  • It has marrow in its bones, just like a human.
  • Very unusually, females have two ovaries, most birds have only one.
I got this information from this site if you would like to read more.

From Kiwi North we went to Whangarei Falls before dinner at a Chinese restaurant.






After dinner we drove to Paihia in the Bay of Islands.  Our 4X4 diesel “bus” Dune Buggy picked us up at 7:15 Saturday morning.  Our tour guide, Paul, was interesting and provided a lot of entertainment and education as we made our way from the east coast to the west coast and north. 


Paul

We stopped in Awanui where there was a Kauri wood outlet/store.  Paul gave us information about a huge Kauri trunk that was in the middle of the store with a carved stairway inside the trunk to the second level of the building.  I don’t recall all of the specifics but it involved several hundred chain saw man hours creating this piece of art.  There were other beautiful creations in the store as well.








Elder and Sister Lewis in the stairway to give perspective as to size.

From Awanui we headed toward Cape Reinga and the lighthouse.  We made a stop at a white silica sand beach, Rarawa.  I talked to some people there who were cast fishing from the beach.  Looked like fun to me. 




The white sand was finer than any sand I have ever seen.

From Paihia to near Cape Reinga we passed through lush, green farm land and pastures.  Much of the garden crops for market are grown in this area along with fruit and citrus trees.





Camel Mountain

The Three Sisters

Next stop was Cape Reinga.  Even though I have been there before, I learn something new every time.  The plants, the light, the water colors are different each time too.



Flowers and grasses along the pathway



The Pohutukawa trees are beginning to bloom along the pathway and everywhere here in New Zealand.
I will have more pictures as the season develops.  Here is some information about the tree: 
“Metrosideros excelsa, with common names pōhutukawa, New Zealand pohutukawa,
New Zealand Christmas tree, New Zealand Christmas bush, and iron tree, is a coastal evergreen tree
in the myrtle family, Myrtaceae, that produces a brilliant display of red flowers made up of a mass of stamens.”



Here is a link if you would like more information.
 
We then went to Tapotupotu Bay for a BBQ lunch.  Jim, Jenna and I enjoyed this beach in September.  Fun to go there and revisit good memories.

New Zealand BBQ always consists of sausages and a slice of buttered bread which you wrap
around the sausage and apply tomato sauce (ketchup).  We were also served a slice of
beef, pasta salad, rice, and green salad.

Tapotupotu Bay




Our next destination was the sand dunes.

Sand dunes in the distance





I had heard “horror” stories and warnings about broken bones, concussions, paralysis, etc. so I opted not to go down the dunes as I had already just spent a week in the hospital.  LOL    Paul gave instructions about holding onto the boogie board in a specific way, placing your body weight on a certain portion of the board, and to dig your toes into the sand to control speed and direction – all to avoid the above mentioned injuries and possible death!!!

After being a by-stander, I regret not going down the dunes.  Next time, I will be the leader of the pack!!!




Sister Packard’s video of Sister Wright, Elder Wright, and Elder Packard
who were the only ones to go from out group
From the Dune to the sea.  Rather a bumpy ride/video so hope it doesn’t make you seasick.

When I visited the 90 Mile Beach with Jim and Jenna, we only walked out onto it at the southern end, as I didn’t want to risk getting stuck in the sand in a mission car.  Our dune rider went through river beds and deep sand to get onto the beach from the big sand dune.  We then drove the length of 90 Mile Beach north to south.

From Wikitravel.org: 
“Ninety Mile Beach on New Zealand's far northwest coast, stretches from Ahipara Bay in the south to Scott's Point at the northernmost end. It actually is about 58 miles in length. It got its name from the estimate which the early farmers in the area used when bringing their cattle to market. They figured they could drive their livestock 30 miles per day and it would take them three days to make the trip from the top to the bottom of the beach. Thus the ninety mile name.  
The beach is also a road and can be driven, when the tide permits, for its entire length using appropriate 4WD vehicles.   Once clear of the village of Ahipara, one can count on one hand the number of man-made structures on the entire length of the beach. 
There is extensive forestry situated beyond and eastward of the primary dune line. This adds to the beauty and mystery of the beach. In addition, a large herd of wild horses, estimated at over 300 head, live in the forest and can oftimes be seen, not only in their forested habitat, but on the beach as well.  
Close to its northern end, a shallow river, called Te Paki stream, joins the beach. The stream, too, may be traversed by appropriate vehicles. At the far end of the stream is located an extensive and very beautiful sand dune system. Oftimes many visitors can be seen either climbing the steep sand hills or tobogganing down them.  
Some refer to Ninety Mile Beach as the "mother of all beaches" Once one experiences it, its easy to see why.”
North end of 90 Mile Beach



Another hole in the rock.  This one in the Tasman Sea side of the country.

Purple jellyfish.  Sand crevices/designs from rain drops

Driving down the beach

The highway from Kaitia to Cape Reinga is winding and slow.  We whipped right down the beach at great speed.  Straightest road you’ve seen! It was really fun.



We arrived back in Paihia just after 6:00.  We met with the sister missionaries in the area and had dinner at Greens.  We ate there after our Hole in the Rock (the one on the Pacific side of the Island) trip a few weeks ago.  The Tom Kah soup was so good I had it again along with spring rolls.

Sisters Kehoe and Teweti joined us for dinner.



Sunday morning early we drove to Whangarei to Sacrament Meeting and then home to Takapuna.  What a great adventure with wonderful friends!!

Flowers outside the chapel




I didn’t get to walk last week at all so I made a point of using my blessing (feet) to walk to the beach.



Pretty purple flowers along the foot path.

Monday evening the missionaries from the Area Seventies Office who live here in Shoalhaven where I live hosted and prepared a Christmas party for the Shoalhaven residents.  This will be the 3rd annual event.  The food was donated by the missionaries.  The “sausage lady” was hired to BBQ the sausages.






Hygiene kits were put together for the Auckland City Mission, a homeless shelter.
 Everything for the kits was donated by the missionaries, Shoalhaven residents and local businesses.

We had 2 shopping carts of kits to take to the mission.

I have had several people ask me how I can stand to be away from my family especially during the holidays.  I won’t lie.  It is extremely difficult not to be with my family at home.  I miss them terribly!!!  I miss the laughter, the foods, the traditions, the dates and sleep overs with my grandchildren, the mountains and the snow.  The list is endless.  But….I know that I am in the right place for me at this time.  I am blessed to have the love and support of my family that allows me to do this.  I am grateful to have the opportunity to serve the Lord.  I know that He lives and has shown me the path I must follow to return to His presence.

I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. I feel so privileged to observe your great adventure. What a wonderful time of service and new experiences you are having! God bless you and keep you safe. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas. Love to you and your family. T

    ReplyDelete