Monday, August 12, 2019

Service brings joy!!

Every week is a great week in the mission field!  Service brings joy!!



I’ve thought this week about the joy I have serving here in the mission field.  I was reviewing some talks that I have saved in the past.  I re-read an article from President Monson (President Monson: Service Brings Joy) about finding joy in service.  Here are a few of his quotes that I liked:

“To find real happiness, we must seek for it in a focus outside ourselves,” President Thomas S. Monson teaches. “No one has learned the meaning of living until he has surrendered his ego to the service of his fellow man. Service to others is akin to duty, the fulfillment of which brings true joy.”

“We do not live alone—in our city, our nation, or our world,” President Monson says. “There is no dividing line between our prosperity and our neighbor’s wretchedness.  ‘Love thy neighbor’ is more than a divine truth. It is a pattern for perfection. This truth inspires the familiar charge, ‘Go forth to serve.’  Try as some of us may, we cannot escape the influence our lives have upon the lives of others. Ours is the opportunity to build, to lift, to inspire, and indeed to lead. The New Testament teaches that it is impossible to take a right attitude toward Christ without taking an unselfish attitude toward men.”

I am inspired by the service that our missionaries give to the community here in Auckland.  Here is a link to a video explaining the service they render in the Auckland City Mission which is a service for homeless and needy people in the area. 

This week concluded our zone conferences for this transfer period.  Wednesday I rode to Whangarei with Elder and Sister Packard for our conference there.  Because I wasn’t driving I got to enjoy the beauty of the land.






I have always loved ferns.  They are in abundance here in New Zealand.  I am particularly impressed with the tree fern.   (Ferns are a bit messy when grown indoors but I have had them in my home from time to time.  I had a beauty in my apartment in New York that I was sad to leave.  It was too big to fit into the car for a cross country trip.  But once again, I find myself in the “company” of ferns.  I’m sure all of this sounds silly but I do appreciate their elegance.)

One can see ferns on the hillside amid the pines and other trees all along the roadway going north.  I tried to get pictures of the hillsides but it was not possible from the moving vehicle.  I captured a few pictures so you can get an inkling of how gorgeous the tree ferns are.





 I see them in the reserve here in Takapuna as I walk to the office. 




This one is growing just around the corner from my front door.

From New Zealand Geographic:
Ferns: the glory of the forest
In few of the world’s temperate forests do ferns assume the luxuriance and dominance that they achieve in the damper portions of the New Zealand bush. Fronds decorate every tree-trunk and choke the floor of the forest, while stands of huge tree ferns tower over lesser trees. Little wonder that the fern frond has become a major symbol of the country in popular culture. 

Here is the link to this article if you would like to read it in full.  It contains some lovely pictures and information.

Thursday morning began early!  The fire alarm began going off at 6:07. 



I jumped out of bed and hurriedly dressed and joined other tenants in the rain while we waited for clearance to enter the building again.  Don’t know what set this alarm off this time but it is getting to be a weekly ritual.


We were able to stand under cover out of the rain in the car park.

Thursday morning was health council where I meet with the Mission President, his wife, the area medical doctor and the area mental health advisor to discuss health issues in the mission.

Friday was the last zone conference held south in Mt Wellington, about 30 minutes from Takapuna.  It is enjoyable to attend these conferences to meet with the missionaries and to feel their strong spirits.  Our mission president, President Walker, gave training in the importance of developing faith, the zone leaders gave training in the importance of following up, Sister Walker gave training in having the courage to stand up for what we believe, and the family history consultants in our mission gave training in family history so that the missionaries can help investigators to search for family names/history.  It was a day well spent.



Monday I took my car to have it serviced and cleaned at the dealer where the mission cars are taken.  Murphy’s Law kicked in!  While my car was being washed and cleaned - it rained!  Go figure.



Monday evening was Senior Missionary Family Home Evening.  We had a chili cook-off and shared family history stories.



I love my Savior.  I love you my family and friends.  May the Lord bless you in all you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment